House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BARRY SCOTT

If Gold Is A Safe Bet In Crisis Times

as a newbie investor I'm trying to get my head around a possible gold investment at the moment. I know I've missed out on the recent major gains, but what concerns me is, if its such a safe form of holding your money in, then, what are the chances of it crashing? i.e if I were to put my savings into gold as a secure form of holding my cash, is there are realistic chance of me losing money?

This may sound a silly question as I know investment is a gamble, but all the info I've read talks about how gold is such a safe method of holding your cash.

Ideas, reply's as always appreciated.

as a newbie investor I'm trying to get my head around a possible gold investment at the moment. I know I've missed out on the recent major gains, but what concerns me is, if its such a safe form of holding your money in, then, what are the chances of it crashing? i.e if I were to put my savings into gold as a secure form of holding my cash, is there are realistic chance of me losing money?

This may sound a silly question as I know investment is a gamble, but all the info I've read talks about how gold is such a safe method of holding your cash.

Ideas, reply's as always appreciated.

I think you should do some research before you leap into any market with which you are not familiar. Do not be seduced by the example of those who are very experienced in it. They are drawing on a lot of skill and knowledge that you, from the sound of it, do not have. Have a search through the gold related threads (or use the search facility) and follow up links to other sites and forums. You'll find a lot of information, some of which will help to answer your questions and in this way you will be better placed to make your own judgements and decisions. After some research you might decide gold is not be the thing for you. Whatever sort of investment you make you should work out how much risk you are comfortable with, what proportion of your assets you want to assign to different levels of risk, including what proportion you want to keep as safe aspossible (for example as cash in a bank account) despite the lower returns.