House Price Crash Forum
sammersmith

Finding An Acceptable Certifier

Hi,

I'm trying to buy premium bonds and the response i've got back is that I need to provide proof of identity and address. This seemed odd to me as I'm on the electoral roll and NS&i said that this check would be done electronically, so it should not have failed. Similar applications have not failed for other card/account/savings applications and all looks ok with credit report.

Anyway, NS&I have asked me to send back passport and bank statement copies signed by an acceptable certifier. I called them to ask why this is needed in lieu of a standard credit check and they said that they do not always perform credit check as this is chargeable to them. They have said I must return documents signed by an acceptable certifier. The only person on the list who I might be able to ask would be a 'bank officer or manager' but i called my bank this evening and they said that they do not offer this service. Doctors / dentist are on the list but in reality it takes 3+ weeks for an appointment unless it's an emergency, and I imagine they'd not be too happy if I just produced a document for them to sign when I did see them. Also can't imagine going into a police station and them doing this for me around their more pressing duties. It's also stated that Post Office counters cannot certify NS&I applications so that option is out too.

That leaves accountants, directors, chemists, religious leaders, teachers, civil servants, solicitors and, believe it or not, estate agents. I know none of these professions within my circle of friends / work colleagues and cannot see how any of them would certify my documents around their day-to-day work if they didn't know me.

Are there any other options that i've missed? Really would appreciate any advice from someone else who's been through this!

Hi thanks for your reply.

My bank (HSBC) said they used to offer this service but now no longer do so. They do however insist on certified documents for new accounts which seems counter-intuitive.

I don't have a relationship with a solicitor (never brought or sold) but if £10 if the going rate i'd be good with going over the road to a solicitor. There's a few here but i really cannot vouch for their standing. It does seem so bizarre that i work for a respectable company yet no one in my company is allowed to vouch for me yet a stranger operating a have-a-go solicitor business above a takeaway is deemed to be more trustworthy. I guess it's the life we must now accept....

Hi thanks for your reply.

My bank (HSBC) said they used to offer this service but now no longer do so. They do however insist on certified documents for new accounts which seems counter-intuitive.

I don't have a relationship with a solicitor (never brought or sold) but if £10 if the going rate i'd be good with going over the road to a solicitor. There's a few here but i really cannot vouch for their standing. It does seem so bizarre that i work for a respectable company yet no one in my company is allowed to vouch for me yet a stranger operating a have-a-go solicitor business above a takeaway is deemed to be more trustworthy. I guess it's the life we must now accept....

If the finance director of your company is a qualified accountant she/he may be able to do it. I've not practised for a number of years but still regularly certify passports etc. - as long as she/he is a registered member of one of the main accountancy bodies - ICAEW/ACCA/CIMA/CIPFA she/he should be able to oblige.