House Price Crash Forum

People Who Don't Care About Houses "a Threat To Society"

HOLA441

...yes, I know it's satire - but it's funny! And as usual for the Daily Mash, uncomfortably close to the truth:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/people-who-dont-care-about-houses-a-threat-to-society-2015040797085

Feels like the evils of unaffordable housing are finally getting some level of recognition!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

No truer word spoken in jest. When I say I rent, people tend to assume I'm saving for a property. If the conversation moves on and I reveal I'm not actually saving for a property at all, it's like I've just desecrated the default English way of life.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA446

I'm pretty sure someone posted that sentiment here. Quite often happens. Someone posts something, it's picked up by the Daily Mash and turned into a funny story and then someone posts it back here.

Great minds think alike, (and fools seldom differ).

Comments on websites for the mainstream media and more fringe stuff like The Daily Mash suggest to me that views which are stridently expressed on this forum are increasingly common currency in the amongst the pretty substantial cohorts who are being asked to buy into the Ponzi at these debts levels, (though still only patchily echoed by the mainstream media in its content).

How could it be otherwise?

Only those with a substantial vested interest in pretending to themselves that it is all back to normal could possibly look through the weight of evidence and see a light at the end of the tunnel and not the lights of an approaching train.

HOLA447

Hmm, the dinner party.

Went to one over the weekend. The article set me to thinking, who at the party owns their home, and how. These were all mature people, all over 40 and including one pensioner.

So, I'm the only renter among the company. 1xRenter.

The youngest person present (mid-40s) lives with her dad. 1xHPC stereotype.

My hosts (a couple) live in a house inherited from his parents. A great way to acquire property: two other people present bought their homes using funds from the sale of inherited property. 4xInherited in some way. All of them graduates, one a PhD, one an MBA.

Our pensioner bought his house back in the 1960s. It's a big house, and I don't know whether he had inherited funds.

Looks like the dinner party really does give an insight into how the middle-aged got on the "housing ladder"!

HOLA448

That Mash article is hilarious. It's also heartening, as it means the sentiment must be becoming more widespread.

Talking about property (in a non-critical, non-HPC way, that is) at dinner parties seems to me the middle class aspirational equivalent of people who talk endlessly about football.

Nothing is ever actually discussed, it's just a string of cliches intended as phatic communication.

HOLA449

That Mash article is hilarious. It's also heartening, as it means the sentiment must be becoming more widespread.

I think that sentiment* will begin to turn very quickly once articles like this start appearing. But the Mash piece is perfectly judged in highlighting the insanity of the property obsession.

* edit - I mean in the demographic that the Mash is aimed at, not society as a whole, sadly. But it's a start.

Edited by Fully Detached

HOLA4410

Talking about property (in a non-critical, non-HPC way, that is) at dinner parties seems to me the middle class aspirational equivalent of people who talk endlessly about football.

Nothing is ever actually discussed, it's just a string of cliches intended as phatic communication.

That is so true and the article summed up my current thinking pretty well. Apart from wasting a bit of time on here :P, I spend most of my time investing in learning (learning how to invest for one!). It's quite possible that if I had bought a house, I wouldn't be doing so much of that and would spend every weekend doing DIY like my dad did! :P (and will be, as my parents have just bought a new house, in great condition back they want to rip it apart!)

Incidentally, I laughed out loud when I read the article. However, when I showed it to my colleague he didn't laugh at all? :o Must be a little too close to the truth and he is on the other side of the fence!