House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stormymonday_2011

Uk Life Expectancy Stalling

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/female-life-expectancy-drops-for-the-first-time-since-1995-10160004.html

Discuss.

Not sure I buy the explanation about this reflecting women adopting men's life styles as the papers suggest but I wonder if this marks a turning point as the trend line on life expectancy for both sexes seems to now have almost flat lined.

Here is a link to the reports

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/life-expectancy-recent-trends-in-older-ages

Edited by stormymonday_2011

It's already at quite a high level. The major killers are age, alcohol or obesity-related. We can do something about 2 out of 3 but not many people want to abstain.

That said, unless things really go to **** on a global scale, by the end of the century new medicines, improved diagnoses and biotechnology could boost life expectancy quite significantly.

You got to die from something, but while I'm a relative optimist and most people leading a reasonably healthy life are not going to die younger, I do think there's been a fairly significant life expectancy crash amongst Babyboomer women, with a large minority of them more noticeably dying about 5 to 20 years younger than their mothers did either mainly through obesity or (if they're thin) narcotics of various kinds, generally more subjected to career stress, and adopting bad male habits...

Edited by Big Orange

You got to die from something, but while I'm a relative optimist and most people leading a reasonably healthy life are not going to die younger, I do think there's been a fairly significant life expectancy crash amongst Babyboomer women, with a large minority of them more noticeably dying about 5 to 20 years younger than their mothers did either mainly through obesity or (if they're thin) narcotics of various kinds, generally more subjected to career stress, and adopting bad male habits...

I agree. It's probably anecdotal - but I think it's smoking and drinking related largely. I'm sure their predecessors also smoked and drank - but probably couldn't afford to do so quite as much (a night out once a week has given way to downing a bottle or so of wine each night). Also a good number of them will have been largely unaffected by rationing - which I suspect made quite a bit of difference healthwise to those born earlier.

There might be something in this i.e. boomerish generation had more access to (almost) unlimited beer + fags compared to the generation before.

There's been a couple of school photos posted on a FB page I follow. These have been class of mid-60s.

About 1/3 of the class is named as (late) forename, surname.

The mortality rate seemed pretty high.

I had a quick google for the obit and they were all listed with 'donations to xxx hospice'.

So they'll be bringing the pension age back down as a result? Not all bad news then.

so are they going to reduce the pension age now?

Not until the demographic bulge has worked its way through. Not least those up to about 90 who just missed on fighting in our last all-out war, and are now collecting those bonanza pensions.

Demographics say the first to see a real improvement in pensions from now will be those now in their 40s. The generation of Messrs Cameron, Clegg, Miliband, Balls, etc.

Equality.

I have heard it mentioned that equality will be achieved in a few decades time.

Main reason work.........not housework but paid work. One is therapeutic, the other a stressful killer. As the one who does most of the housework and is self employed the difference to be me is obvious, paid work is a killer and causes me palpitations. I guess having children is different, but we are talking when you are older and stay at home wives in middle age did have it easy. That has now changed, women make up more than half the workforce.

Edited by crashmonitor

"Where is this point? Well, it is certainly not anywhere between 25 and 30, and it could be even higher. Indeed, I have seen research on Italian women showing that a BMI of 33 was associated with the longest life expectancy. In other studies, where obesity was actually further sub-divided, those with a BMI between 30 and 35 lived longer than those of so-called "normal" weight.

So, while I cannot tell you when "obesity" becomes a major health problem, I can definitely tell you that being "overweight" is the healthiest and most "normal" weight of all."

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-being-overweight-means-you-live-longer-the-way-scientists-twist-the-facts-10158229.html

There might be something in this i.e. boomerish generation had more access to (almost) unlimited beer + fags compared to the generation before.

There's been a couple of school photos posted on a FB page I follow. These have been class of mid-60s.

About 1/3 of the class is named as (late) forename, surname.

The mortality rate seemed pretty high.

I had a quick google for the obit and they were all listed with 'donations to xxx hospice'.

I am wondering if it'll be illegal drug related problems which'll take out my generation early. I know of a couple of reasonably heavy users of all kinds of stuff in the 90s who have had brain cancer. That seems a high incidence for early 40 somethings. Mind you a school peer has just had her first heart attack (although she admittedly looks as though she could be a decade or two older so life has obviously not been kind).

I am wondering if it'll be illegal drug related problems which'll take out my generation early. I know of a couple of reasonably heavy users of all kinds of stuff in the 90s who have had brain cancer. That seems a high incidence for early 40 somethings. Mind you a school peer has just had her first heart attack (although she admittedly looks as though she could be a decade or two older so life has obviously not been kind).

Not drugs. These are people who were born late-50s, early 60s. Too young for the 1st summer of love; to old for the 2nd one.

I think its smoking and drinking.

They are the generation that could earned money, fags were cheap (they've only be £££s since the 90s), booze was cheap.

Last lot of 10 pints and 2 packs on fags on friday people.

Edited by spyguy

so are they going to reduce the pension age now?

No chance someone has to pay for today's public sector welfare largesse and it is you. This article suggests today's middle aged will be fast tracked to 72 in short order.

Only one young person seemed to get it in last night's election debate with the opening question about spending her future welfare away and being left with debts. Meanwhile the rest are brainwashed into austerity outrage blah blah blah. Get real, you don't receive any substantial benefits until you are old by which time there will be nothing left at the rate we are going. By all means vote for jam today but you are voting away your future welfare.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/special-reports/11537512/Cash-in-your-pension-at-55-You-may-have-to-wait-till-70.html

Edited by crashmonitor

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/female-life-expectancy-drops-for-the-first-time-since-1995-10160004.html

Discuss.

Not sure I buy the explanation about this reflecting women adopting men's life styles as the papers suggest but I wonder if this marks a turning point as the trend line on life expectancy for both sexes seems to now have almost flat lined.

Here is a link to the reports

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/life-expectancy-recent-trends-in-older-ages

Hmmm .. very small differences. For a 75 year old (already lived 3900 weeks) the change is -5 weeks (0.001%!) and for an 85 year old (already lived 4420 weeks) the difference is -10 weeks (0.002%!)