House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Front Door Buying Anxiety.

I wouldn't normally do this and I'm not asking for advice but I thought it was so shocking/hilarious it was worth posting.

I had a guy from Everest come round to quote for a new front door. My wife arranged it, I said she was mad as it would be expensive.

Especially as she'd had a quote of £1700 already for a boggo composite front door from another supplier that she thought was a lot.

For an Everest midrange door in her preferred colour with a side panel and fanlight, with special Easter discount, they wanted £4000!

How I laughed. Buying a house is not for the faint hearted.

Suppose they've got celebrity TV adverts to pay for! was that for composite?

For 4k i'd want an old craftsman at my house for a month lovingly carving a door out of solid oak and stained glass (or something like that) and the back door included too...

Avoid Everest and Anglican. Everyone knows they're blindingly expensive. At the risk of reinforcing an HPC meme I've got a mate who fits for them and according to him only old folk buy from them. Take from that what you will.

We've just had a new front door fitted. The brand is Solidoor. Solid wood core with composite shell and apparently almost impossible to break down if fitted properly. Cost me £1400 supplied and fitted and it is top notch. Similar range is 'rockdoor' they're a touch pricier and probably slightly better in some way.

Avoid Everest and Anglican. Everyone knows they're blindingly expensive. At the risk of reinforcing an HPC meme I've got a mate who fits for them and according to him only old folk buy from them. Take from that what you will.

We've just had a new front door fitted. The brand is Solidoor. Solid wood core with composite shell and apparently almost impossible to break down if fitted properly. Cost me £1400 supplied and fitted and it is top notch. Similar range is 'rockdoor' they're a touch pricier and probably slightly better in some way.

I'm looking for a solidor, Rockwood or Hormann.

Unfortunately the extra glazing required does add to the price.

See now when she divorces you she'll keep the house & the new front door.

Women arent stupid.

Doors are that expensive?! And no doubt getting a proper wooden door, none of this awful plastic crap (can't stand pvc windows either), puts the price up even more.

Doors are that expensive?! And no doubt getting a proper wooden door, none of this awful plastic crap (can't stand pvc windows either), puts the price up even more.

Wooden doors are cheaper to an extent but are out of favour due to their natural properties.

Wooden doors are cheaper to an extent but are out of favour due to their natural properties.

Sanding down and painting occasionally is hardly much of a chore. I'm afraid I'm going against HPC and buying a place, replacing plastic windows and doors in it is one of my (long-term) plans (and they're one of the few bits the survey didn't whinge about).

We had everest come round to quote us for a door, wanted nearly 3.5K for a composite piece of crap

We went to a bespoke door manufacturer and got a solid oak front door, constructed, fitted and all the tidy up so it looks amazing, £2,300

So proper doors are cheaper than the crap it turns out and this surprised me

You're supposed to negotiate from their quote. I got some work done by Anglian once. Their initial quote was circa £26,000 but after some discussion we agreed on a price of £6,800 with an agreement they can put an advert on the side of the flat for 6 months and take photos for their catalogue (neither of which they actually did).

We had everest come round to quote us for a door, wanted nearly 3.5K for a composite piece of crap

We went to a bespoke door manufacturer and got a solid oak front door, constructed, fitted and all the tidy up so it looks amazing, £2,300

So proper doors are cheaper than the crap it turns out and this surprised me

Still a hell of a lot more than I expected but if that's what it costs to do a proper job then that's what I'll pay (eventually). I'm surprised that cheap and nasty isn't even cheap though.

Wow.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Doors+Windows/External-Doors/Front+Back-Doors/External-Oak-Veneer-Doors/c/1000649#

Hardwood door a couple of hundred and what would a joiner cost to fit £100? Less in cash?

Can't remember what we paid for our front door probably about £800 but then it had got a window on top and naturally the wife wanted the number in glass. £4k with a discount, are the door handles gold?

I'm looking for a solidor, Rockwood or Hormann.

Unfortunately the extra glazing required does add to the price.

Rockdoor have reseller/fitter (Alexander Windows in Stockport) - Assetz HQ is on the same industrial estate. Relative got a back-door to their garden, to replace an aluminium door which used to expand and stick in the sun. It's great, and was something like £550 - £600. Front door styles more expensive. Only downside is their door to the garden auto-locks when you close it from outside, with some half-and-half split spindle requiring a key to enter (meaning it's easy to get locked outside in garden if they go out without keys)... I fixed that with a long single spindle. Should have got that from start. And for that door if the glazing breaks/smashed, it can't be replaced = new door.

I rang Solidor when they were looking at getting a new front door, to ask if it's possible to have 2 key locks (nightlatch) - didn't seem to be at the time. I wasn't liking the fact the composite doors such as theirs only come with one key/lock mechanism to operate multi-locking; no nightlatch. Also too many composite doors have a dumb looking big lever-handle to open door (including front doors).

I manually picked open two modern composite cylinders I've tried (took long time with my Southord set but surprised myself that it can be door) - pick guns may be way faster; although criminals probably wouldn't bother with such an approach.

Can't beat a quality hardwood front door imo. Warping concerns (and draught/cold) are way over done, with a good joiner and quality thick hardwood door. Fit top quality security nightlatch, mortice deadlock (chubb/union do popular one... Londoners like the very expensive Banham locks for their doors it seems) use grade 12 or is it 13 hinges. I'll send you link to a very good joiner if you like, in our area.

Nobody know about out of town reclamation yards? Buy the real thing in genuine seasoned wood; strip it and paint it yourself, then get a local tradesman to trim to size and fit. Under a grand all in.

Nobody know about out of town reclamation yards? Buy the real thing in genuine seasoned wood; strip it and paint it yourself, then get a local tradesman to trim to size and fit. Under a grand all in.

Or you could just buy a brand new one and have it fitted for the same price?? Seriously, there's nothing magical about wood. It can look better but most modern houses are fugly anyway and a wooden door won't make any difference!

Or you could just buy a brand new one and have it fitted for the same price?? Seriously, there's nothing magical about wood. It can look better but most modern houses are fugly anyway and a wooden door won't make any difference!

That's why I'm moving to an old house and want to get rid of the plastic crap. The front door is wood anyway but there's a plastic porch on the back that'll need to go sooner or later.

That's why I'm moving to an old house and want to get rid of the plastic crap. The front door is wood anyway but there's a plastic porch on the back that'll need to go sooner or later.

The point of a composite door is that it is supposed to look like a painted wood door but it it supposed to be more secure via multiplied locking (very debatable) and far more energy efficient (better insulation)

The trouble is that I don't just have a door but about 2.5sq m of entrance to replace as it is currently 90% single glazed and 10% spindly wood. it is rather draughty.

Can recommend quality/longevity of hormann from experience with a garage door. No idea about their front doors. Up and over composite sectionalised made to measure automatic garage door fitted was much less than your quote from Mr Everest for a front door.

Isn't the problem with wood doors that they can just be kicked or rammed in?

I'd like rockdoors but they're a bit expensive at the moment. I'll have to save up a bit.

Isn't the problem with wood doors that they can just be kicked or rammed in?

I'd like rockdoors but they're a bit expensive at the moment. I'll have to save up a bit.

Seriously, how many people have their door kicked or rammed in ?

or do I live a charmed life ?

A Yale door is £600 and that seems expensive

Price is key. You want a good trade-off between value and fitness for purpose. Appearance is worthless.

How often do you look at the front door. You open it and walk through and close it. It doesn't matter what it looks like so long as it functions.