House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest eight

Disneyland Paris

Guest eight

So, is it just me or is it a bit crap?

Actually, scratch "a bit crap" and replace with "utterly shite".

I don't think I've ever seen so many people deluding themselves that they're enjoying themselves when they patently can't be. Just can't be. I've been a bit cynical of Tripadvisor in the past as I work in a business that can be disproportionately affected by the odd overly critical opinion, but I think I'm going to sign up in the hope that a few other souls might be spared.

Being kind, it reminded me a bit of those "Christmas Extravaganza" things that hit the headlines every year - except nobody there seemed to want to be the Emporer's New Clothes boy and point out the obvious. I just spent five days thinking "is this it?"

It's no exaggeration to say that the fun fair on South Shields seafront is more, well, fun.

Of course, if you happen to be my wife or daughter and are reading this then I really loved it, am happy to return and obviously this isn't me but must be somebody else.

5 days?

no wonder you were bored.

2 days is quite enough. Saying that, I had pretty good and well prepared food in a couple of the theme restaurants, that werent cheap but in line with the generally expensive French offerings.

We went in 2009ish....second visit, and the difference to our first visit, was that maintenance was noticeable required in some of the rides...things like many animatronics ( see, I even know the lingo) not 100%, some parts quite scruffy.

For us though, a visit to Disneyland is a bit like being in Hospital...you go there, you are away from life for a bit, then you return.

Guest eight

We went in 2009ish....second visit, and the difference to our first visit, was that maintenance was noticeable required in some of the rides...things like many animatronics ( see, I even know the lingo) not 100%, some parts quite scruffy.

Three of the rides broke down while we were in the (extremely long) queues for them. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a serious accident there in the near future - everything seems to be knackered.

Amazingly they seem to in a huge amount of debt which is staggering seeing how many paying punters were there, what they charge and what they actually offer in return.

It doesn't interest me in the slightest. And I doubt it would interest the kids either, even though they say it would. I don't even get the concept. Everyone knows they're cartoon characters, they don't exist. So how much suspension of disbelief do you actually need to enjoy something you clearly know is a man in a suit dancing, or taking part in a parade, or whatever? Oooh look, it's cinderalla's castle. No it's not, it's a piece of cheap shit construction that is a piss-poor parody of a fairytale castle.

Parents would be better of taking their kids to Bavaria or Eastern Europe, which is genuinely fairytale, the food is better and it will be about 1/10th of the price.

Guest eight

It doesn't interest me in the slightest. And I doubt it would interest the kids either, even though they say it would. I don't even get the concept. Everyone knows they're cartoon characters, they don't exist. So how much suspension of disbelief do you actually need to enjoy something you clearly know is a man in a suit dancing, or taking part in a parade, or whatever? Oooh look, it's cinderalla's castle. No it's not, it's a piece of cheap shit construction that is a piss-poor parody of a fairytale castle.

After having it patiently explained to me several times, I just about get how my daughter, who is six, might get a thrill out of "meeting" Minnie Mouse. The problem is that one of the reasons she had to queue for ninety minutes, in the rain, to do just that is because of the number of fully grown adults waiting to do same. Beyond tragic.

Also, since when were Mickie Mouse, Goofy etc. popular? They retired in about 1945 as far as I was aware. Yet later and better offerings like Wall-E, Up and (inexplicable, this one) Frozen are barely acknowledged - it's like there's some kind of internal identity crisis going on. Seriously, Disneyland Paris must be one of the most Frozen free zones in western Europe, if not the World...

The Florida one is shite also. Have a meal in Cinderella's castle, the definition of shite.

It's American, everything in that country is based on hype and has very little substance. Nothing actually measures up to the fantasy sold and the Americans in general are not well travelled enough to realise. It also doesn't help they are wildly optimistic people, we here are the reverse.

Basically they have been fed for years by the TV that Disney is a fantasy world and like said elsewhere i suspect don't want to be the one to point out the emperor is actually naked.

I went there once as part of some corporate do at one of the hotels. I had one day in the park with a catastrophic hangover, and spent most of it on the "its a wonderful world" ride with the singing flowers. That was enough. The hotel was utterly hideous as well.

I generally can't stand these things - we have taken the children to Legoland "off season" and they asked what all the mazes were for in front of each ride - when we explained that people queue for 30 minutes just to go on the ride they could not believe it.

Daugter liked it, we made sure not to eat there or sleep there and happy to leave at the end of a day - booked some accommodation on a small golf course hotel complex a short drive away which was pretty good and packed lunches for the couple of days out.

Then went to visit from proper castles like Chenonceau, wonderful. Futurescope not bad either.

I don't think I've ever seen so many people deluding themselves that they're enjoying themselves when they patently can't be. Just can't be.

This has always been my view, and I haven't even been.

having said that, one of my earliest and fondest childhood memories is a park we used to visit, where the "attractions", apart from standad swings/slides/roundabouts were a bunch of painted concrete animals and figures, so I expect young children genuinely do enjoy it.

We are heading there in June for four days, can't wait :( might try and get an excursion out to Chenonceau (thanks onlyme2) might be difficult as we've (wife) paid £2,000 for the all inclusive hotel. ATM my family are enjoying the delights of St. Ives which let's be honest about this is a bit crap too. I was going to post a very similar topic last night.

There are just too many people, too many holiday let's, boutiques, galleries, cornish pasty and fish and chip shops and no space or tranquility. If I want to enjoy the hordes I'll go to an open air rock concert and not spend it cheek and jowel on the beach.

Someone posted in another thread that we're living in a satire, I quite believe it. Very truemanesque.

Now where can I find some peace and quiet.

I personally found Disney Paris fascinating (observed through a cynical eye).

It's an immersive virtual-reality that was fun to explore up-close, looking for glitches in the Matrix.

For instance, solid walls would regularly part to allow the egress of a parade and then as suddenly join up again afterwards.

The "Groundhog Day" reliability of seeing exactly the same thing in exactly the same place 2 days in a row,

"Authentic Bavarian cottages" that reveal plasterboard and painted-on windows as you approach closely.

CCTV spotting, and saluting the staff in their "West World" style control centre underground.

In fact, we stayed at the "Cheyenne" cowboy-themed Disney hotel.

Try doing the "It's a small small world" ride on mushrooms. actually, scratch that, you don't even need mushrooms.

Lots to enjoy at Disney (but not the food - that was universally disgusting - even US specialities like hamburgers, pizza and hot dogs),

and the kids just believed in the illusion, so win-win.

Been to the one in Los Angeles, they have 2 parks you have to pay about 100 dollars each to get into. The more most modern (California Adventure) has a few OK Disney themed rides, though nothing better than say Thorpe Park.

The older Disneyland, is like a 1960's monument frozen in time, you almost expect to see Don Draper in leisure outfit strolling around there.

Whole experience a total ripoff, only went for one day to see what the Disney hype was about. I wish I hadn't. Can't understand why people go again and again.

You made a mistake, should've booked the 'Character Breakfast' - avoids the queues and the bun fights.

I hate queues, crowds and fighting for what I consider 'fair' so I do everything to avoid the issue.

Express rides too. I hope you availed yourselves of those too to avoid the queues? You can't beat just walking past the queue simply because you booked your ride ahead.

http://www.leisuredirection.co.uk/disney/character-breakfast.htm

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/fastpass/

I think you just have to suck it up. If the family are happy, you're happy. You'll be able to do 'your stuff' again in about 15 years time. No sh*t on the telly, no gaudy colours everywhere, no having to be enthusiastic about your daughter's new dress, no more holidays at Disney during the school holidays.

:lol: stoicism in action.

I've been warned off going to Paris and doing Florida instead, bigger, better, far more fun attractions and better weather. And last year I'm told they were milking Frozen like a Devon dairy herd.

How much do you need when you watch a film or read a book? It's just about pretending and a bit of imagination, and that's fun for kids (and adults too for that matter, albeit with different material).

And I thought that I was cynical.

I don't like organised fun.

Shortly after it opened the staff at Disneyland Paris received a memo saying that they must stop referring to their workplace as "Mouschwitz". Within a few days they had rechristened in "Duckhau"

How much do you need when you watch a film or read a book? It's just about pretending and a bit of imagination, and that's fun for kids (and adults too for that matter, albeit with different material).

And I thought that I was cynical.

But the film/book ARE make believe and tap into the imagination. Eating a ridiculously priced burger in a faux fairytale castle whilst watching men in suits dancing is very real.

But the film/book ARE make believe and tap into the imagination. Eating a ridiculously priced burger in a faux fairytale castle whilst watching men in suits dancing is very real.

Is it any different from their toys being lumps of plastic or cloth? Children know that their favourite teddy bear is really a bit of fake fur with stuffing inside but it doesn't matter.

Is it any different from their toys being lumps of plastic or cloth? Children know that their favourite teddy bear is really a bit of fake fur with stuffing inside but it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I think so. I can see your point, it is cynical- but with their own teddies/toys there's a personal link there. It's an inanimate object that they imbue with a personality. A man in a costume will always be a man in a costume. It can't possibly be Buzz Lightyear. Maybe the kids see it differently, I expect they do.

This conversation reminds me of something I heard on the radio many years ago. A man told his wife that Mr. Blobby was coming to open a shop in town. She said 'Is it the real Mr. Blobby, or just a man in a suit?'. I guess some people can just suspend their disbelief that much.