House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheBlueCat

Unfunny Bbc Comedies

This may offer some explanation as to why the BBC doesn't seem to be able to produce comedies of any merit right now:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/11516021/BBC-Director-General-has-to-sign-off-jokes.html

I remember Mark Steel (who can be really funny given a chance) talking about how he'd often had arguments with the producer of a BBC radio comedy he worked on about what was or wasn't funny but this takes it to a whole new level.

Its not just the BBC....can you think of a funny ITV "comedy"?...

The BBC have done the odd thing...Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience was pretty good, and Would I Lie To You is one of the better ones...

Its not just the BBC....can you think of a funny ITV "comedy"?...

The BBC have done the odd thing...Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience was pretty good, and Would I Lie To You is one of the better ones...

I used to love comedy shows, can't think of much I find funny these days out side of "House of Fools" and whatever vehicle is propelling the former League of Gentlemen members along. Although they wouldn't be traditional comedy so suspect they don't count.

No doubt I have changed in that period, but when I view the older stuff that still makes me laugh so that is a little telling I suspect.

Seems there is a great desire in the BBC to have 'equality' across comedy in recent years. Lets have an asian sit com, and a lead comedy female, and one thats black too. Just stick with who is funny and who gives a toss what gender or colour they are.

Little Miss Jocelyn and Miranda ? Lord how did these ever get approved.

Female comedians are just not very funny in general. Most women agree with this in my experience as well.

This may offer some explanation as to why the BBC doesn't seem to be able to produce comedies of any merit right now:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/11516021/BBC-Director-General-has-to-sign-off-jokes.html

I remember Mark Steel (who can be really funny given a chance) talking about how he'd often had arguments with the producer of a BBC radio comedy he worked on about what was or wasn't funny but this takes it to a whole new level.

It's not just a British phenomenon. The excellent Sarah Silverman got a whole heap of abuse for a "racist joke", that isn't racist at all but depends on using a racist word.

In a July 2001 interview on NBC's Late Night with Conan O'Brien, Silverman used the ethnic slur "chink" in explaining that a friend advised her to avoid jury duty by writing a racial slur on the selection form, "something inappropriate, like 'I hate chinks.'" Silverman said she decided that she did not want to be thought of as a racist, so "I wrote 'I love chinks'—and who doesn't?"

Silverman claimed the joke satirizes the racist thought process. Guy Aoki of the Media Action Network for Asian Americans (MANAA) objected to her use of the slur. NBC and O'Brien apologized, but Silverman did not. Later, appearing on Politically Incorrect in July and August 2001, Silverman questioned Aoki's sincerity, accusing him of exploiting the opportunity for publicity. On a later episode, Aoki appeared with Silverman and stated he did not accept Silverman's explanation, saying that it was not successful satire and that comedians should consult with groups such as his before performing such material. She stated in an NPR "Fresh Air" interview that she was asked to repeat the joke on Politically Incorrect, among other places, but eventually dropped it from her act because she felt it was becoming stale.

Silverman has since turned the complaint into grist for her standup act, saying that the experience helped teach her the important lesson that racism is bad: "And I mean bad, like in that black way."

Female comedians are just not very funny in general. Most women agree with this in my experience as well.

I liked Smack the Pony. But I also liked Miranda for a couple of episodes [edit] oh yeah, Sarah Silverman. Hilarious but uncomfrotable.

The last thing I laughed at was Peep Show.

Peep Show, Greenwing. Black Books, The Offfice, Spaced. I think we get a couple per decade

Pretty much anything made by the BBC after the mid 90s hasnt been funny...the office is the only one that comes to mind. Unless you consider oversized glasses and men dressing up as women funny.

On C4 Peep show is funny. Inbetweeners perhaps moderately amusing...though 'funny' is stretching it.

It's not just a British phenomenon. The excellent Sarah Silverman got a whole heap of abuse for a "racist joke", that isn't racist at all but depends on using a racist word.

Can't stand that woman, but I liked the "chinks" joke. It's the kind of nuanced material that Bernard manning used to do.

Can't stand that woman, but I liked the "chinks" joke. It's the kind of nuanced material that Bernard manning used to do.

Being able to get away with that kind of material is what makes Larry David so brilliant. The jury duty scene in particular is great (watch the clip if you haven't seen it already):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFebZlUJ7E&list=PL928ECF14BDD20D19

The quota filling by the BBC has been going on for years, but occasionally something decent sneaks through. They make more good comedy than ITV.

Yes there have been some decent burd comedies. I just find generally they are pretty poor. Blokes just seem funnier in everyday life ? Or maybe that's just who I hang about with.

Then again all comedy is a matter of opinion. Some people still find Lenny Henry amusing.... :ph34r::ph34r:

Yes there have been some decent burd comedies. I just find generally they are pretty poor. Blokes just seem funnier in everyday life ? Or maybe that's just who I hang about with.

Then again all comedy is a matter of opinion. Some people still find Lenny Henry amusing.... :ph34r::ph34r:

Lenny Henry is still the funniest stand up I've ever seen live. History has not been kind to him, but he was good, very good. And Chef was absolutely outstanding.

Lenny Henry is still the funniest stand up I've ever seen live. History has not been kind to him, but he was good, very good. And Chef was absolutely outstanding.

Serious ?! When was this ? I have always found him horrendous. Not seen much of his old stuff to be fair.

Serious ?! When was this ? I have always found him horrendous. Not seen much of his old stuff to be fair.

Have you never seen Chef? Probably dated badly now as comedy tends to do, but it was outstanding. I saw him live back end of the 80s. like I say, history has not been kind to him.

Dave Allen is pretty good. Both good comedians but different style of comedy.

Have you never seen Chef? Probably dated badly now as comedy tends to do, but it was outstanding. I saw him live back end of the 80s. like I say, history has not been kind to him.

Yes think I saw a bit of Chef when it first came out. Didn't think it was bad but not great either. I may Youtube his standup later and see what I find.

Yes think I saw a bit of Chef when it first came out. Didn't think it was bad but not great either. I may Youtube his standup later and see what I find.

The most impressive thing is the make up.

... they don't make them like they used to anymore ...

No hint of whippets or pigeons! My goodness, that could be a picture of "T'wrong side o't Pennines! :blink:

Dave Allen is pretty good. Both good comedians but different style of comedy.

To me the acid test for a great comedian is the ability to tell a gag you have already heard a dozen times and still make you laugh.

Dave Allen was one of the few people who could pull off that trick.

That said the first couple of minutes of his rant about banks now looks like Old Testament prophecy rather than comedy so prescient was it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5y_gE1Rb1Y

Wow. First time I've heard this; somebody will be raving about how funny John Bishop is next.

I suppose it could be another Status Quo type effect, where they sound nothing special on the radio but are apparently superb live.