House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Superflu Pandemic Is Biggest Danger To Uk Apart From A Terrorist Attack – And Could Kill 80,000 People

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/superflu-pandemic-is-biggest-danger-to-uk-apart-from-a-terrorist-attack-government-report-warns-10157666.html

As many as 80,000 people could be killed in an outbreak of a new kind of superbug and “much of modern medicine” could become unsafe because diseases are becoming resistant to modern drugs, according to a new Government report.

Amid growing concern about the rise of antibiotic and anti-viral resistant bugs, a document prepared by the Cabinet Office says that flu could become a “serious” condition within 20 years because drugs may have little effect, The Daily Telegraph reported. Pandemic influenza is classed as the biggest danger to the UK apart from a major terrorist attack.

Surgical operations might also be affected by the increased chance of getting a serious infection – to the point where organ transplants, bowel surgery and some forms of cancer treatment might not be viable.

The document, called the National Risk Register of Civil Emergencies, describes the dangers of anti-microbial resistance (AMR) in the UK as “particularly serious”.

Isn't this just a story about a flu pandemic and in reality we are over due a deadly variant?

Maybe it's time to retire some of these anti-biotics for a couple of decades, and see if the resistant strains can be subdued by the lesser strains. What we are doing isn't working.

It's like growing the same crop in a field for 30 years and then complaining about the build up of pests. Think of it like crop rotation.

Yes ol' granny smith might die today, but what about the 1,000 who could be saved in the future?

They can survive arctic winters on little more than pease pudding and brown ale... some of them don't even bother with clothing.

I think they'll be alright. Londoners however...

Hopefully they'll all be Newcastle fans.

Winnets!

It is really starting to bug me,all this media hyperbole, Same has happened with weather. You don't get storms or typhoons any more, they are allways "super storms" and "super typhoons" (Presumably now "tropical depressions" must be renamed "typhoons", or are they "super tropical depressions"?)

Would love to know the possibility of a terror attack which killed more than 80,000 people!

carpet bombing of Japanese or German Cities.

Happened quite a lot where there was a will and a means.

Water supply... A few barrels of the right agent, in the right place... Birmingham is a waste land (not yet!).

I've noticed a lot of water treatment plants have enhanced security, cameras, buzz in gates etc... When I was a kid you could run riot through these places. Not any more. Thank God!

It is really starting to bug me,all this media hyperbole, Same has happened with weather. You don't get storms or typhoons any more, they are allways "super storms" and "super typhoons" (Presumably now "tropical depressions" must be renamed "typhoons", or are they "super tropical depressions"?)

You just wait till we start experiencing super duper storms...then you will be really bugged.

The only thing that will help you if there is a flu pandemic is a bit of LemSip. 80,000 people? Most would be pensioners, we'd hardly notice. 25K died during the 2003 heatwave in Paris and there was nary a blip in house prices.

Water supply... A few barrels of the right agent, in the right place... Birmingham is a waste land (not yet!).

I've noticed a lot of water treatment plants have enhanced security, cameras, buzz in gates etc... When I was a kid you could run riot through these places. Not any more. Thank God!

Used to see the odd dead sheep in the reservoir for the town I'm from in rural Ireland. Late 60s.