House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

False Economies

This is a bit like my clearing out problem, but might as well start another thread, as others have probably got their own interesting foibles.

Whenever I buy or make some horrible food, I really hate throwing it away, and I try and "rescue" it by mixing it up with other stuff. So if I buy some horrible flavoured juice or alcopop, I might try buying a different flavour and mixing them together. Or a mix a bottle of cheap soy sauce with a more expensive one. Or if a stew is horrible, make it into a curry or try adding different vegetables or something.

So instead of one horrible meal, I usually end up eating horrible food for a week and paying proportionately much more than the original mistake.

At the moment, I've got some nougaty/truffly chocolate that is horribly sweet, and I'm thinking, maybe I can buy some cream and make some sort of mousse, or a chocolate tart, And that bread that went wrong, I could make it into bread pudding, and I don't even like bread pudding.

It's not really the old problem of thinking throwing out food is a sin, I just like repurposing stuff. And I like the chemistry aspect. I am tired of eating crap food and wasting money though.

I hate throwing good food away.....always been the same, will never change......a few weeks ago I required egg yolks for something and couldn't bring myself to throw the egg whites away, waste not want not and all that. So whisked them up with some sugar like you do to make some great meringues, low heat slow oven and left them overnight to really dry out....they were great.....problem being although I stored them in a cool, dry, air tight place I never got around to eating them for whatever reason......still crisp but with the cream they would require thought best put them to use elsewhere......so put them in a pile in the garden....low and behold the next morning they had all but disappeared......who ate them?

Sound psychology behind that... Loss aversion I believe it is.

great, I'll add it to my list. Is there a pill for it?

... thought best put them to use elsewhere......so put them in a pile in the garden....

That sounds very, uhhh, practical of you. Is your biscuit barrel full of twigs?

That sounds very, uhhh, practical of you. Is your biscuit barrel full of twigs?

Do not own a biscuit barrel.....but if I ever happen to have a soft biscuit I will not throw it away, the birds are always grateful for it, not too many mind, don't want them to think soft biscuits are easy to come by. ;)

Cook horrible food --> just eat it, get it over and done with, let something safe (anything from coffee to fresh fruit) help wash it down.

Buy horrible food --> find someone to give it to. The more friends you have, the more chance someone will like it.

The trouble is there is all ready enough crapification of food already. I currently find that chocolate bars I used to once like seem to contain more sugar and less cocoa.

So cutting good food with the nasty stuff would really disturb me.

Bought a cheap electric mower.. The hover type with plastic blades.

Purchased on the basis that we only have a postage stamp lawn.. It'll easily do the job.

Chucked it after a couple months in favour of a wheeled one with a metal blade (that can be sharpened on a grinder if you so desire) and only cost a few pounds more.

Perhaps others might benefit from my mistake...

Purchased on the basis that we only have a postage stamp lawn.. It'll easily do the job.

Chucked it after a couple months in favour of a wheeled one with a metal blade (that can be sharpened on a grinder if you so desire) and only cost a few pounds more.

Mower? Nasty newfangled contraptions!

austrian-scythe-225x300.jpg

I can recall having David Attenborough's "Life of Birds" DVD in my Amazon Wish List for about two years before it dropped in price by a couple of pounds and I bought it. So we're talking about maybe three hours of entertainment for what, fifteen pounds. Or maybe twelve pounds as it was. A few coffees when out and about.

It's a strange thing how we price the "value" of things.

Computer printers must be one of the ultimate false economies in that he ones which come in a nice box and only cost £30 cost the most to run.

Those and French cars.

This is a bit like my clearing out problem, but might as well start another thread, as others have probably got their own interesting foibles.

Whenever I buy or make some horrible food, I really hate throwing it away, and I try and "rescue" it by mixing it up with other stuff. So if I buy some horrible flavoured juice or alcopop, I might try buying a different flavour and mixing them together. Or a mix a bottle of cheap soy sauce with a more expensive one. Or if a stew is horrible, make it into a curry or try adding different vegetables or something.

So instead of one horrible meal, I usually end up eating horrible food for a week and paying proportionately much more than the original mistake.

At the moment, I've got some nougaty/truffly chocolate that is horribly sweet, and I'm thinking, maybe I can buy some cream and make some sort of mousse, or a chocolate tart, And that bread that went wrong, I could make it into bread pudding, and I don't even like bread pudding.

It's not really the old problem of thinking throwing out food is a sin, I just like repurposing stuff. And I like the chemistry aspect. I am tired of eating crap food and wasting money though.

It's a bit like trading anything the key is buying well. The old adage buy once buy well applies to small purchases as well as big ticket items

I can recall having David Attenborough's "Life of Birds" DVD in my Amazon Wish List for about two years before it dropped in price by a couple of pounds and I bought it. So we're talking about maybe three hours of entertainment for what, fifteen pounds. Or maybe twelve pounds as it was. A few coffees when out and about.

It's a strange thing how we price the "value" of things.

Computer printers must be one of the ultimate false economies in that he ones which come in a nice box and only cost £30 cost the most to run.

Those and French cars.

Merde alors!

It's the same philosophy that leads people to eat rank mouldy out of date stuff.

Personally I won't touch anything in the slightest bit dodgy, because spending the night heaving my guts up and the next week sitting on the bog isn't worth it for the sake of £1.50.

My Dad is the perfect example of how tightness can make your life miserable. Bascially he can't eat as much as he used to and he hates leaving food, so now whenever he goes out to eat he's miserable when he can't eat it all, to the point where it ruins the entire experience. FFS. You only live once. Is it really that criminal to leave a couple of spoonfuls of mashed potato ?

I know another guy who is really fussy about where he eats. Only the best. As far as he's concerned he's only got a limited number of meals left and can afford it, so why not have the best of everything ? Spot on if you ask me.

I'd love to know what the infectious/toxic agent was. I know about botulism, but I am not sure what there is in a dry powder that could be an issue. Perhaps is was actual coco butter?

I'd love to know what the infectious/toxic agent was. I know about botulism, but I am not sure what there is in a dry powder that could be an issue. Perhaps is was actual coco butter?

I would have thought it most likely that the packet was ever so slightly porous allowing moisture to creep in over a 20 year period and something to start living in/on the goodies inside. I'm surprised it wasn't obviously bad/rancid when she opened the packet though.

I think fizzy pop has a similar issue. Not that anything would live on it, but that the expiry date is based on when it goes flat, not when it goes off due to the porosity in the plastic.