House Price Crash Forum

Horrible Flavours

Steppenpig

HOLA441

I was just trying some egg nog ice cream, and it had some horrible chemically flavouring, and I'm not even paticularly good at identifying flavours, but it immediately came back to me: rum essence. Horrible nasty stuff. I can't believe people are still putting it in food.

HOLA442

I was just trying some egg nog ice cream, and it had some horrible chemically flavouring, and I'm not even paticularly good at identifying flavours, but it immediately came back to me: rum essence. Horrible nasty stuff. I can't believe people are still putting it in food.

gotta drink t'other day. Called itself ginger flavour, and others in the range were things like elderflower and sicilian lemon, so typical of upmarket soft drinks. The ginger flavour was fine, but unfortunately mixed with lemon concentrate and too much sugar making it taste like washing-up liquid or something.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Almost anything saying 'strawberry flavour'. Virtually guaranteed to be sickly and vile.

The Yanks are very good at horrible flavours - 'imitation cherry flavor' and 'imitation grape flavor' are two that stand out from way back

but at least they were honest enough to say 'imitation'.

I have to say I would think 'egg nog ice cream' sounds pretty foul anyway, but then I am not much of an ice cream person at the best of times.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Yep, just the thought of it is making me feel sick.....also the sickly centres of cream eggs yuck.

Made me remember how much I hate the taste of Cadbury's chocolate too

But even that is just trumped by kæstur hákarl, which is now really just a joke played upon tourists to Iceland

HOLA4414

Skin them - the flavour many people don't like is in the skin.

Personally, I like the flavour. I've been known to eat the pods too.

The pods are great if picked at the right time. Better than the beans.

Not really surprising: we eat the pods of most fresh beans. For example, runners (my favourite single bean).

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Strawberries and chocolate.

Separately, they can be sublime.

But they have never worked together. The result is utterly putrid. Why people persist with that combination beats me.

I prefer chocolate on in its own...it's pretty fatty and ruins just about everything you put it with.

One of my biggest gripes is when it comes to supermarkets cookies, I very rarely have them, but usually it's a choice of double chocolate, triple chocolate, chocolate squared etc etc. Making something that's on the rich side richer still. God knows what's wrong with plain old oats and dried fruit but I guess kids and most of the population just want chocolate with everything.

HOLA4421

How does it compare to Durian? I'm told it tastes wonderful, but I can smell it (revolting, like an elephant broke wind) at a hundred paces.

The durian is fragrant by comparison.

Not familiar with elephant farts. But I'd expect them to be relatively mild, since they're herbivores.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

How does it compare to Durian? I'm told it tastes wonderful, but I can smell it (revolting, like an elephant broke wind) at a hundred paces.

I always thought they smelt strongly of sick. Was not surprised to see 'No durian' notices in the hotels. I have seen them on sale in London's Chinatown and couldn't smell anything. Maybe they weren't ripe.

HOLA4424

I just drank my first half liter of tomato juice over the last three days. I love fresh tomatos, but tinned ones taste horrible unless they've been cooked for at least an hour, and the very thought of tomato juice has always made me gag. The secret is, wait till you're really hungry, so that the body craves whatever it can get.

Bottled lemon juice.

I think the lemon juice/sauce they sell in turkish supermarkets is slightly better.

HOLA4425

I just drank my first half liter of tomato juice over the last three days. I love fresh tomatos, but tinned ones taste horrible unless they've been cooked for at least an hour, and the very thought of tomato juice has always made me gag. The secret is, wait till you're really hungry, so that the body craves whatever it can get.

Tinned tomatos are great for cooking, but you must be *** to try and eat them raw!

And tomato juice can be drunk as-is, but works best as a mixer with a range of other ingredients.

Archived