House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Scooter And His Outburst Dilemma

Whenever in a group situation it is fascinating to witness how quickly the topics move on to the inevitable house price discussion. I wouldn`t agree that it should be avoided as a subject. We all surely have more ammunition, in terms of cold hard facts, by either your own investigations, or visits to here, or by a combination of the two. It`s often difficult to have a reasonable debate, however, I have outdebated several close friends on the subject, even managing to turn one or two views around. I`m sure one very close friend has been put off the idea of trading up by me, his wife is a bit frosty with me lately, she might thank me one day.

The major problem is that most do not want to see their for nothing gains fall, or evaporate, the thought scares them to death, which is why they`ll often make flippant remarks, jealous is always the obvious insult.

Part of the reason I tend to do well in these situations is that most think, well Paul`s like us he`s done/doing OK, so why does he talk down the market..we lose he loses surely? They often struggle with how objective I can be, pointing out the potential damage to our children etc. above any personal vanity, the damage to the wider economy, even the feeling that it is somehow unjust in relation to FTBs. I`m also fond of using the "Yes I see your point, however, have you considered this information in relation to your opinion..?"

This subject needs discussing more in group situations, not less, it could be our inverse multi-level marketing programme :P

Whenever in a group situation it is fascinating to witness how quickly the topics move on to the inevitable house price discussion. I wouldn`t agree that it should be avoided as a subject. We all surely have more ammunition, in terms of cold hard facts, by either your own investigations, or visits to here, or by a combination of the two. It`s often difficult to have a reasonable debate, however, I have outdebated several close friends on the subject, even managing to turn one or two views around. I`m sure one very close friend has been put off the idea of trading up by me, his wife is a bit frosty with me lately, she might thank me one day.

The major problem is that most do not want to see their for nothing gains fall, or evaporate, the thought scares them to death, which is why they`ll often make flippant remarks, jealous is always the obvious insult.

Part of the reason I tend to do well in these situations is that most think, well Paul`s like us he`s done/doing OK, so why does he talk down the market..we lose he loses surely? They often struggle with how objective I can be, pointing out the potential damage to our children etc. above any personal vanity, the damage to the wider economy, even the feeling that it is somehow unjust in relation to FTBs. I`m also fond of using the "Yes I see your point, however, have you considered this information in relation to your opinion..?"

This subject needs discussing more in group situations, not less, it could be our inverse multi-level marketing programme :P

I have also influenced people in the past but I have probably pissed off more and ended up pissed off myself (as yesterday.) I think I will take it easy with the HPC discussions for a while anyway and also try to wean myself off this site for a bit. I am genuinely getting a bit unhealthily obsessed.

I've been told to keep quiet whenever I speak to my sister-in-law about her house-sale (what house sale !), my husband quakes waiting for me to start an argument when his sister says the lowest she'll drop is 3k from an asking price of 160k, on an ex-council house house she paid 75k for 3 years ago.

The first time I mentioned that buyers are putting in offers 15-20% below asking and she should prepare herself, her reply was ''it's my future and I'll wait until I get the money I'm ENTITLED to!'', my reply was ''aren't you being greedy ?''. At this point my husband stopped the conversation before a war worse than Iraq started.

So it's been for sale since April 05, one offer but fell through after the survey when the sister-in-law wouldn't drop 1k.......yes 1k. Since then hardly any viewers, two changes in agents and no money in sight !!

I don't mean to sound gleeful but the above story is being repeated thousand of times over across the whole UK, these sellers really need to wake up and smell the pile of crap fermenting from spin and when we are told ''DON'T MENTION HOUSE PRICES'' in the same tone of ''don't mention the war'' it will just take longer for the envitable to happen.

yes, i don't mind the principle of talking HPs ....I just end up end getting angry so prefer to avoid the subject.

The other day I did get angry with one of my mother's friends. She bought her property about 4 years ago for about £62K.

It is situated in one of the worst areas of town, in the shadow of the local cement works which regularly pumps out god-knows-what pollution that she herself complains about. Also, here is what you can see from her back garden.

Around the beginning of this year, her property went on the market for £145K.

She thinks that with a little bit of a makeover, her property will be worth £189K. Apparently an Estate Agent told her that.

I told her last week several times to her face that she was deluded.

Yes, I get angry sometimes. Of course it's better not to, but occasionally I get in moods when I become angry and irritable - unfortunately it's a recognised sympton of depression. :(

The other day I did get angry with one of my mother's friends. She bought her property about 4 years ago for about £62K.

It is situated in one of the worst areas of town, in the shadow of the local cement works which regularly pumps out god-knows-what pollution that she herself complains about. Also, here is what you can see from her back garden.

Around the beginning of this year, her property went on the market for £145K.

She thinks that with a little bit of a makeover, her property will be worth £189K. Apparently an Estate Agent told her that.

I told her last week several times to her face that she was deluded.

Yes, I get angry sometimes. Of course it's better not to, but occasionally I get in moods when I become angry and irritable - unfortunately it's a recognised sympton of depression. :(

He who laughs last laughs loudest. We all flip out from time to time just learn to laugh it off when you calm down otherwise you will dwell on it and it will eat your brain like mutant rabies variant.

You dont want a mutant rabies variant to eat your brain do you?

I used to be a lip biter now I don't really care so much and wax lyrical about the cause of the bubble and why it has caused misery and why it can only end ugly. When I'm in full flow they don't offer much in response that doesn't sound feeble and the conversation moves on.

I choose not to speak about HPC to friends or family.

Only thing that really annoys me is this. Not all my friends own property however the ones that do love to rub it in other peoples noses. They always go on about how they couldn't have done it today and how rich house price inflation has made them. The other night at like a dinner party we had the "We are so lucky we bought as homeowners are probably the only ones who will ever be able to afford to retire".

If anybody even suggests that now wouldn't be the best time to buy you may as well declare war on them.

I am really get fed up with being branded a "Prophet of doom" just because I don't share their opinion that house prices are a one way bet. However it seems perfectly acceptable for people to gloat about your non-homeownership and how your priced out forever.

I have an assured tenancy in a brand new build with my rent approximately 40% of their mortgage. Who is really the lucky one?

Three new mates of mine actually agreed with me once I broached the subject with them. One was talking about buying a DIY job on Friday and I told her my views, she agreed and pointed out that these things were cyclical and agreed on 'where is the money coming from to buy at the starter levels'. She was happy that I was telling her to leave it well alone for the moment. The other 2 just agreed that prices were to high for FTB's and that prices couldn't go up any longer.

My family is a different story though. My mum thinks they will stagnate for years and my sister thinks the grey pound will buy up all the BTL flats , so there.

I posted a week ago about a tricky situation with some friends when my views on HPI really didn't go down too well and caused a slight, shall we say, haitus in an otherwise great weekend.

My standard response to being the only person in a party of 20 people who are all convinced I am nuts and that prices will always rise, is that thousands of others, some of them highly educated, agree with me...but they don't happen to be in the immediate vicinity. This usually breaks the tension established previously when I say "there's going to be an almighty crash".

There's no getting away from the fact that most bears on this site are probably entirely alone in their views compared with the vast majority of their friends and family. One needs a cool head and a lot of determination not to get sucked into conventional wisdom.

VP

What a fab design! Are they new flats bought by BTLers?

I just call it the "launchpad", as it looks like somewhere the Space Shuttle could take off from.... it is an unwelcome feature of the skyline throughout the area.

I just call it the "launchpad", as it looks like somewhere the Space Shuttle could take off from.... it is an unwelcome feature of the skyline throughout the area.

It really is grim.

180 odd thousand you say ....mmm.

Also, here is what you can see from her back garden. [Warwickshire Lad]

Seriously, have a look at the picture from back garden, have a laugh!. [deano]

http://www.rugbyinplume.org/assets/images/p1-chim2.jpg

What a fab design! Are they new flats bought by BTLers? [bearLite]

Wow! Those exposed services are classic Richard Rogers.

How much do the penthouses go for?

Also, here is what you can see from her back garden. [Warwickshire Lad]

Seriously, have a look at the picture from back garden, have a laugh!. [deano]

http://www.rugbyinplume.org/assets/images/p1-chim2.jpg

What a fab design! Are they new flats bought by BTLers? [bearLite]

Wow! Those exposed services are classic Richard Rogers.

How much do the penthouses go for?

I believe they call the design New Industrial.

Apologies to Converted Lurker and all the contributors here, but starting a thread called Scooter And His Outburst Dilemma is surely the epitomy of forum-tautology.

Sipps was bad enuff for crissakes! Why not just add all the above to Scooter's thread!

Apologies to Converted Lurker and all the contributors here, but starting a thread called Scooter And His Outburst Dilemma is surely the epitomy of forum-tautology.

Sipps was bad enuff for crissakes! Why not just add all the above to Scooter's thread!

I need at least three threads to accomodate my three angry personalities: angry bull, angry bear and just plain angry... ;)

''it's my future and I'll wait until I get the money I'm ENTITLED to!''

Two friends of mine (30yo) bought in 2000, for £100K, put their house back on a couple of months ago for double. Last time I met, they announced this sale. "And we're not taking a penny less!" was the exact phrase. They want to trade up.

I am astounded they cannot use a calculator.

By contrast another female friend of mine (bought in 2000) acknowledges the gains, but presents a more balanced perspective "Oh, we can't afford to trade up!". She, as it happens, is an accountant.

Don't get depressed. I'll send you a hug and some of that 'expats forum karma' (whatever the f**k that is!).

Besides, I'm still waiting to see you in your Care Bear suit!

But it is still stuck in the minds of some traditional females

Like my mum, who is devastated I don't want a house. (Not true). However, I don't want to be caught up SOMEBODY ELSE'S BOOM'S CRASH! (Doh).

Still, I'm proud to be a second-class citizen.

Also, I was talking to my boss about this at the XMAS DO. We didn't get animated, I tend to let the subject leave go. He's not selling. He did point out that when he bought interest rates were 14%. I'm surprised people don't seem to understand that it's not the value of interest rates that is important, but the differential between the value at which you take out the loan, and the current value.

Again, it's a 'use a calculator' thing.

:)

Yes, I see where you are coming from...however :P To be serious I see it as a different subject to the main body of Scooter`s original post. You never know how threads will develop. I thought we might galvanise some decent put downs, or collate some evidence of convincing intelligent erudite friends of the unsustainability of it all.

For example, meeting up with a mate of mine lately to have a few beers, well we need to, watching Rooney in a red shirt still hurts :( Anyhow, he`s a little bit older than me, late 40`s, has a 15K mortgage on a 220K house, we often discuss the madness of the local property market, the fact that we notice so many private number plates, on two brand new cars, outside the re-furbed house, by people we know who are still doing the same job they`ve been in for years <_< This is a common opinion amongst so many of my friends who have kids that in a blink of an eye will need supporting at Uni..a lot realise that in order to move from 3-4 beds needs an extra 100K, no one with a 15K mortgage would consider taking on a 115K mortgage at the current time would they?:o Not everyone wants to sail with the ship of fools

My overall point is that there is a lot more sympathy for the plight of the FTB than most are aware of, also the sheeple that attend Inside Track seminars are in the minority. It is often difficult to find any contrarian views in the mainstream media, however, that does not equate to the majority being in support of ridiculous house prices. The re-education process will surely begin and can start with individuals punching their weight when in conversation ;)

Edited by Converted Lurker