House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Adult Acne

Had bad acne as a teen, did the Retinol thing and it cleared up. Thought I was finally free of it this time but alas another (long) false dawn. Although not back with a vengeance, it's bad enough for me to want to do something about it.

To save me trawling through acne/skin forums, what's the latest in the world of treatment? Washing my skin with soap, scrubbing, desquamation, benzoyl peroxide, good diet(!) doesn't work for me. I'm hoping the otc treatment options have improved and to save me a load of reading could an hpc'er in the same boat suggest something?

Give up all wheat/gluten - there is a type of dermatitus often mistaken for acne which is due to eating gluten/wheat. You need to give it up for 60 days though in order to see whether your 'acne' goes away. If it does then you might be gluten intolerant and suffer from:

dermatitis herpetiformis

Alphosyl shampoo seems to work for me if I'm getting spots in my scalp. It's coal tar stuff which the EU have almost banned so it must be good stuff. If I rub my shoulders with the shampoo lather, any spots there seem to die down. Probably not a good idea to use it too much though.

I know these are annoying and obvious things but exercise to get the blood flowing and fresh air seems to help, along with good sleep, which is easier said than done. Omega 3 capsules work wonders for me too.

BP sort of works but when you see what it does to clothes and pillow cases it makes me think twice about using it. It's pretty much just bleaching your skin, and it ages it too.

It it grim getting or continuing to suffer with skin problems as an adult. I'm losing my hair now but that is nothing compared to suffering with acne.

I always thought butter overconsumption made me break out, but reading this thread, perhaps it's the bread.

I think with some of these diet theories, when you have to cut out a major thing like bread you can end up eating more healthy stuff like veggies. So is it the lack of bread or the extra dose of proper healthy stuff that swings the difference?

You won't believe this.... ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2831382/Woman-left-suicidal-adult-acne-bad-child-asked-burns-victim-clear-skin-love-using-cream-containing-SILVER.html

Woman left suicidal by acne so bad she was mistaken for a burns victim now has clear skin and is engaged - thanks to a cream containing SILVER

Paid advert masquerading as news. They've even removed the comments that were there pointing out it's an advert.

I suffered pretty bad with acne as a teen too, so was particularly perturbed when it started appearing again in my 40s.

Unlike adolescence it's not oily skin and sebaceous glands that causes the rosacea but other factors like spicy food, booze etc. All the good stuff unfortunately. Even sitting in the sun makes it worse.

However my GP prescribed me a course of Lymecycline tablets which relly cleared it up, I've found you need another course of pills every few months but it makes a big difference. I would definitely recommend trying it....

How long did you use benzoyl peroxide for ? I had bad acne for decades. I used it and at first it was horrendous but I persevered for weeks, and slowly but surely my skin cleared and a new fresh layer of skin appeared.

The occasional adult acne that I still had some years ago, cleared up once I started taking 5000IU/day of Vitamin D3 during the darker moths.

The immune system is key and Vitamin D3 is essential for a healthy immune system.

Also a sufferer years ago. On the plus side, when you get to fifty, so long as you don't suffer scarring you will have line free skin (like Putin but without the need for plastic surgery) as the oily skin starts to be a good thing.

A bit of advice, over washing will cause the problem not resolve it.

The only time I've ever had acne it was due to drinking orange juice. It took me a while to identify it as a trigger but once I stopped, the acne disappeared. Experimentally I tried orange juice again a year later and the same thing happened. Shame as I love oranges.

The only time I've ever had acne it was due to drinking orange juice. It took me a while to identify it as a trigger but once I stopped, the acne disappeared. Experimentally I tried orange juice again a year later and the same thing happened. Shame as I love oranges.

Sounds like an allergy, I have heard of people that just break into a rash if someone is peeling an orange next to them.

How much farting are you people doing these days?

Flatulence can be a symptom of a wheat problem.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/coeliac-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Medical opinion doubts the validity of food intolerance tests like these:

http://www.yorktest.com/

However I know 2 people who say it changed their lives completely. One was due to wheat and the other to cow's milk intolerance.

Sounds like an allergy, I have heard of people that just break into a rash if someone is peeling an orange next to them.

My wife is allergic to citrus fruit (generally the peel - supposedly it brings her out in a blotchy rash although I've never seen it) but says she doesn't suffer the effects of a slice of lemon if it's doused in alcohol.

My wife is allergic to citrus fruit (generally the peel - supposedly it brings her out in a blotchy rash although I've never seen it) but says she doesn't suffer the effects of a slice of lemon if it's doused in alcohol.

The lesson: try switching to bucks fizz for breakfast.

How much farting are you people doing these days?

Flatulence can be a symptom of a wheat problem.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/coeliac-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Medical opinion doubts the validity of food intolerance tests like these:

http://www.yorktest.com/

However I know 2 people who say it changed their lives completely. One was due to wheat and the other to cow's milk intolerance.

I know I get very windy when I eat loads of bread or wheat based products. When I gave up carbs, so no bread, for a year I don't think I farted once.

Wouldn't call it an allergy or intolerance as such but it certainly does funny things to my insides.

Going away this weekend, but then hitting the diet hard again on Monday won't eat any bread for 9 months.

I know I get very windy when I eat loads of bread or wheat based products. When I gave up carbs, so no bread, for a year I don't think I farted once.

Wouldn't call it an allergy or intolerance as such but it certainly does funny things to my insides.

Going away this weekend, but then hitting the diet hard again on Monday won't eat any bread for 9 months.

I'm pretty veggie (wheat) based diet, may be it's the meat/ carb combo. Absolutely never have any of these problems.

Yesterday's food....

Breakfast

Unsweetened porridge

Two slices of toast

Lunch

Home made fat free fruit cake

Hummus sandwiches (two slices of wholemeal0

Apple

Mid afternoon

Bakewell tart

Dinner

Stir fry bean sprouts, carrot, mushrooms with Brussels (slice of wholemeal)

Home made fruit crumble and custard

Evening

100g peanuts and red wine

I'm pretty veggie (wheat) based diet, may be it's the meat/ carb combo. Absolutely never have any of these problems.

People are just different I suspect.

I for example have never had acne or been particularly spotty, even as a teenager. Doubt it's anything more than a slight imbalance in the body one way or the other, too much or two little of something somewhere (some sort of enzyme possibly) and it manifests itself in different ways in different people.

Give up all wheat/gluten - there is a type of dermatitus often mistaken for acne which is due to eating gluten/wheat. You need to give it up for 60 days though in order to see whether your 'acne' goes away. If it does then you might be gluten intolerant and suffer from:

dermatitis herpetiformis

Wheat as in GM wheat (and most of our bread is made with that) is bad S*** as is sucrose. American doctor put all his patients whatever ailment on a Gluten free diet and it seemed to fix a lot of things.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

People are just different I suspect.

I for example have never had acne or been particularly spotty, even as a teenager. Doubt it's anything more than a slight imbalance in the body one way or the other, too much or two little of something somewhere (some sort of enzyme possibly) and it manifests itself in different ways in different people.

Probably true and also the intolerance may be self inflicted...as with peanuts, not eating them when young. I think the body becomes accustomed to certain foods and departures can cause problems.

I'm eating out tonight and the menu is being forced on me, that may mean red meat. I will certainly notice the fact that my digestion goes to pot the following two days with meat hanging around in the system, but somebody that has meat everyday wouldn't notice or gets used to the slow transit.

Wheat as in GM wheat (and most of our bread is made with that) is bad S*** as is sucrose. American doctor put all his patients whatever ailment on a Gluten free diet and it seemed to fix a lot of things.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

Yep, he is the guy who did the Heartscan blog and who writes about 'mutant dwarf wheat'. I have a lot of time for him.

Oddly enough, a couple of weeks back I was reading up on biotechs and came across a financial forum thread where people, who were investing in biotechs, were debating whether the big increase in the numbers of people diagnosed with coeliac disease was in fact down to GM wheat.

I, personally, have long felt that this 'mutant dwarf wheat' is very much a problem. Although, for a sizeable number of the populance, I do think that any wheat is simply bad for them whether it is GM or 'natural'.