House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Radio Emissions From Alien Civilization ?

I recall a question, I think it was on one of the Stargazing events from Jodrell Bank, about contact from another planet or us doing the same. The scientist guy gave a detailed answer about how/why it could happen and the problems encountered. Sadly I've never been able to find the thing again!

This was also an interesting read - http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

Dispersion is the way the signal component frequencies spread out as different frequencies travel at different speeds in the interstellar medium (very dilute gas- it is the effect that gives rise to light being split by a prism).

What the results suggests is either

1) the spread of the signal is not due to this, the signals are relatively close but due to some unknown possibly physical process

2) they are due to a pulse sources at great distance but they are regularly spaced in distance

if 2) and they are found to be regularly spaced in space laterally (equally spread out in the sky) then they are navigation beacons

Dispersion is the way the signal component frequencies spread out as different frequencies travel at different speeds in the interstellar medium (very dilute gas- it is the effect that gives rise to light being split by a prism).

What the results suggests is either

1) the spread of the signal is not due to this, the signals are relatively close but due to some unknown possibly physical process

2) they are due to a pulse sources at great distance but they are regularly spaced in distance

if 2) and they are found to be regularly spaced in space laterally (equally spread out in the sky) then they are navigation beacons

Why would aliens go to all that trouble to place navigation beacons ? Why not use stars or pulsars ?

Why would aliens go to all that trouble to place navigation beacons ? Why not use stars or pulsars ?

no idea, but it is very odd that they seem to be equally spaced (if that is what is happening) i'm just pointing out that it would be difficult to escape that conclusion if it turns out to be the case that they are regularly spaced.

Why? they must be immensely powerful too, much more than any one pulsar whose radiation is not isotropic- could be a reason

no idea, but it is very odd that they seem to be equally spaced (if that is what is happening) i'm just pointing out that it would be difficult to escape that conclusion if it turns out to be the case that they are regularly spaced.

Why? they must be immensely powerful too, much more than any one pulsar whose radiation is not isotropic- could be a reason

The other thing is that they estimate the area that the burst comes from to be no more than a few hundred km across. Interesting.

They could be communications buoys - like in Star Trek.

Or they could be automatic naivagtional & landing systems like we have for modern air travel.

Probably a DAB transmission. Always sounds garbled, and in marvellous mono too. :unsure:

Nothing new, plenty of civilizations out there and some in contact for decades with our leaders, the most astonishing thing is that it has remained secret for so long. Just wish they would stop the games with these silly little green alien theories and throwing billions into pointless space exploration with ancient technologies when they are sat on technology that is truly mind blowing.

Nothing new, plenty of civilizations out there and some in contact for decades with our leaders, the most astonishing thing is that it has remained secret for so long. Just wish they would stop the games with these silly little green alien theories and throwing billions into pointless space exploration with ancient technologies when they are sat on technology that is truly mind blowing.

If you are in to conspiracy theories contribute to the thread on Islam, after all religions are the ultimate conspiracy theories

In the past, believe it or not, I have had research funded through the "black programs" of the pentagon. I have heard and seen nothing to make me believe they have special knowledge and I have colleagues who have been present at top level military technology briefings in Washington who say likewise. It's a good cover story for the black programs tho isnt it?

Me and some of my shortwave buddies have just triangulated these signals, and after much head-scratching, the consensus is that they originated in Middlesbrough.

It looks like the radioactive smog gives the radio waves warp-10 capability, and they bounce around the universe a bit before coming back to Earth.

With a proper decoding algorithm, you can actually listen to the 'Me Mark Page Show' on Radio Cleveland from the eighties as if it were happening live.

It really is fantastic living in the space-age...

XYY