House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neptune

Poly Tunnels, Buying And Using

Need to get a Poly tunnel. So as this forum is my goto site for info thought I'd ask,anyone here with good experience.

I live on a fairly windy and exposed site, and will pay whats required for good quality thats useful.

I have seen some cheap polytunnels and also eyewatering ones. I have a feeling the really cheap ones are cheap fpr a reason but I dont want to pay excessive for what amounts to a bit of plastic and some steel tubes. I thought about knocking one up myself but dont have a great dfeal of time for that. But some of the extras that some polytunnel sellers want you to buy I can cobble together myself.

I reckon a 3/4 metre by 3 metre one would be a good start with maybe extending ( by my own hand) it if it provides good all round experience and veg for the kids(and myself).

So exposed site, northern england. PT needs to be not too small, not to big, but space isnt a problem Whats the best way to orientate them. Any other ideas suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks in anvance

What are you allowed rules/PP?

Dont know and dont care..

That sounds quite rude, Ms Bell, and I dont mean to be, but its the truth. If I followed the rules and did what they said I should do I would be living in a 4 bed rabbit hutch with a mega debt slave mortgate.

Your going to tell me now when youre not HPCs in house horticulural expert you are actually in charge of oldhams planning permission department and put me on ignore.

But seriously, around here is such a sh1tehole it doesnt really matter, no one is going to tell me not to do it, Its rough agricultural country anyway. and what I intend is/should be small enough that I really dont think its against the rules.

I used this guy's home made design, although mine is a fruit cage with a net rather than plastic.

Netting actually keeps the environment warmer too btw.

http://www.overthegardengate.net/UserPages/pp_view.asp?FName=Polytunnel&Page=1

EDIT: Should also add that for tomatoes etc. you can pick up some eye wateringly cheap second hand greenhouses on ebay. Typically you have to dismantle and take away.

I picked a good size, well made aluminium one up and bought replacement bolts, lining etc and it was as good as new.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=greenhouse&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

Interesting thanks.

What my plan is after reading that is to maybe go with a smaller but strong tunnel too start this year and over next winter build something like that to a decent size.

Dont know and dont care..

That sounds quite rude, Ms Bell, and I dont mean to be, but its the truth. If I followed the rules and did what they said I should do I would be living in a 4 bed rabbit hutch with a mega debt slave mortgate.

Your going to tell me now when youre not HPCs in house horticulural expert you are actually in charge of oldhams planning permission department and put me on ignore.

But seriously, around here is such a sh1tehole it doesnt really matter, no one is going to tell me not to do it, Its rough agricultural country anyway. and what I intend is/should be small enough that I really dont think its against the rules.

That's all I wanted to know.

Get one as BIG as you can. First Polytunnels have good reviews on FB.

http://www.feelgooduk.net/gardens-outdoors/polytunnels

Are the cheaper end but you'll get three years out of a cover.

The important thing is for them to be fixed down well and that means all the edges being buried.