House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Rooms, Rogues And Renters

Totally shocking, I know London was bad but viewing this makes me feel sick. How can tax payers money be squandered in such a way that only benefits private landlords when the obvious solution is to invest in mass social housing of a high standard that can't be sold privately, I mean it's not as if it's rocket science to fix.

The most disturbing aspect to this was the thought of Chinese investors that are able to price out indigenous people from owning their own shelter in their own land, but then enforcing a standard of housing that is absolutely unacceptable to the local people, it's just slavery fully endorsed and supported by our own government, forcing human beings to live in spaces that are no bigger than prison cells is morally and ethically wicked beyond anything I thought I would ever see outside of a dystopic sci-fi future vision of hell.

I am so angry and dismayed by watching this on a human level that I find it hard to comprehend how any civilised society can allow this to happen without massive repercussions and civil unrest as an inevitable outcome.

Totally shocking, I know London was bad but viewing this makes me feel sick. How can tax payers money be squandered in such a way that only benefits private landlords ....

Maybe the private landlords are in control of the tax money !!!

Maybe the private landlords are in control of the tax money !!!

I think it's pretty obvious that the people who are supposed to protect the public from these types of situations by legislation are up to their necks in the landlord business themselves and have no real desire to change things.

I think it's pretty obvious that the people who are supposed to protect the public from these types of situations by legislation are up to their necks in the landlord business themselves and have no real desire to change things.

I think it goes deeper than that. I think the idea that 'property is pension' has simply been accepted without question by an entire generation, just as most people (myself included) accepted without question the safety of British banks until 2007.

Its globalisation...we pioneered the approach overseas, now global incomes have risen to the point it can be done to us.

No one is forced to live in these conditions, they can happily emigrate to the smaller urbanisations outside the m25 dormitory ring. Or France. Take a tent.

Take a tent.

You'll be moved off any piece of land where the authorities think you are putting down permanent roots. If the by-law doesn't allow them to move you, they'll change it within a short space of time. Guaranteed. :(

Totally shocking, I know London was bad but viewing this makes me feel sick. How can tax payers money be squandered in such a way that only benefits private landlords when the obvious solution is to invest in mass social housing of a high standard that can't be sold privately, I mean it's not as if it's rocket science to fix.

The most disturbing aspect to this was the thought of Chinese investors that are able to price out indigenous people from owning their own shelter in their own land, but then enforcing a standard of housing that is absolutely unacceptable to the local people, it's just slavery fully endorsed and supported by our own government, forcing human beings to live in spaces that are no bigger than prison cells is morally and ethically wicked beyond anything I thought I would ever see outside of a dystopic sci-fi future vision of hell.

I am so angry and dismayed by watching this on a human level that I find it hard to comprehend how any civilised society can allow this to happen without massive repercussions and civil unrest as an inevitable outcome.

Boiling frog syndrome. Steady drip drip of housing oppression over decades.

It's clear there is near total corporate and landlord capture of Government in this country. Successive governments are to blame at all kinds of levels.

disturbing.

There cant be one political candidate who can hold his or her head up high anymore. Its there, plain to see for all. Endgame has arrived.

All those policies, meetings, funding, schemes, quangos, benefits....ALL of that might brought forth by the 600+ MP's........and people end up with a tree in their bedroom. And if you complain you get legally evicted.

Next one that knocks on my door canvassing is going to get an earful. On behalf of those without a voice.

Simple solution, council issue licences for you to rent your property.

Like with cars, if you are caught in breach of the licence (or without licence) you have to pay all costs (courts, local authority admin, repairs to bring up to standard, temporary housing costs of tenants) BEFORE you get repossession of property.

Like with impounded cars if you fail to pay (collect) within a timeframe (say 12 months) the property is sold at auction, council gets first take from monies, the mortgage company (if its mortgaged) gets second take and landlord gets whats left....OR council can compulsory purchase property for council stock at remaining mortgage amount minus 20%.

This would soon result in:-

a) An increase in property standards and/or obeyance of the licence by the landlord.

B) Potentially increased council housing stock.

c) Focus banks/building societies BTL policies....I.e. you would probably pay a premium just in case the property was compulsory purchased as the bank would not be happy about losing 20%.

we have unleashed the evil of greed and we cannot banish this evil now without great pain and suffering. trying not to sound doomy gloomy, but you just need to look around you at the extreme narcisstic me-ism culture we live in. it cannot end in any other way but badly. people are behaving like animals in their lust for money and shiny stuff

we have unleashed the evil of greed and we cannot banish this evil now without great pain and suffering. trying not to sound doomy gloomy, but you just need to look around you at the extreme narcisstic me-ism culture we live in. it cannot end in any other way but badly. people are behaving like animals in their lust for money and shiny stuff

+1, It's deeply disturbing.

Especially at 28 mins in, where the council was going into foxtons, to buy back old council houses at extortionate market rates.

This is a desperate attempt to cut out the middle man private landlord .

Things are so bad, we need emergency housing in these cities. Dutch container housing blocks spring to mind as the cheapest / quickest to install on disused / rented land .

Perhaps they could be built on stilts to straddle existing low rise housing if land is not avaialble

http://www.tempohousing.com/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dutch+container+housing&num=100&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB455GB455&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=c7EbVfj2KI76auvqgegO&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1240&bih=643

diemen_header.jpg

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Couple of points:-

The Y Cube reminded me of the prefabs put up just after the last war, where people tolerated what were meant to be temporary accommodation (although many stayed for 20+ years) for the sake of having gone through a 5 year war....seems as though physical war has been replaced with financial war!

Its interesting that the sharing/renting of beds is portrayed as something that is untenable but is this any different to youth hostels?...I have travelled extensively, stayed in hostels and met many workers working away from home and staying in hostels...just a though.

The Y Cube reminded me of the prefabs put up just after the last war, where people tolerated what were meant to be temporary accommodation (although many stayed for 20+ years) for the sake of having gone through a 5 year war....seems as though physical war has been replaced with financial war!

Its interesting that the sharing/renting of beds is portrayed as something that is untenable but is this any different to youth hostels?...I have travelled extensively, stayed in hostels and met many workers working away from home and staying in hostels...just a though.

Some of those prefabs were still being widely used in the 90s, and one or two still remain e.g. Exeter St in Stafford.

Do hostels rent the bed out during the day ? I don't see why not

Some of those prefabs were still being widely used in the 90s, and one or two still remain e.g. Exeter St in Stafford.

There's even a Prefab museum in Lewisham

http://www.prefabmuseum.uk/visit-us/

Quote: Do hostels rent the beds out during the day?

Well they rent them out for a fixed period of time...In fact some 'hotels' I have stayed in overseas rented the rooms out by the hour,,,,but that is another question!...although it wont be long (if it not too late already) that we start 'prostituting our souls on the altar of finance'.

Quote: Do hostels rent the beds out during the day?

Well they rent them out for a fixed period of time...In fact some 'hotels' I have stayed in overseas rented the rooms out by the hour,,,,but that is another question!...although it wont be long (if it not too late already) that we start 'prostituting our souls on the altar of finance'.

I've always thought it a missed opportunity that cars sitting all day in car parks or all night on drives / streets are not rented out.

Probably posted before about a Russian leader (Cruschev I think) who visited a western city. He remarked that all the parked cars, just sitting there, were a massive waste of capital & resources.