House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

B&q To Close 60 Uk Stores

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11505618/BandQ-to-close-60-stores.html

Relatively low property transactions among younger generations and an increased BTL presence. I suspect also schemes aimed at new build sales means less requirements for Diy. In addition B&Q is or at leaat was very expensive. However, not quite as expensive as Homebase!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11505618/BandQ-to-close-60-stores.html

Relatively low property transactions among younger generations and an increased BTL presence. I suspect also schemes aimed at new build sales means less requirements for Diy. In addition B&Q is or at leaat was very expensive. However, not quite as expensive as Homebase!

No one has any money.

When all your wages go on housing and food and fuel there is nothing left to spend in the wider economy.

The bubble has burst again.

QE/Inflation has eaten away at that low interest rate sugar rush used to "fix" the economy.

Now things are much worse because there is no where to go for the housing pyramid's greatest fools.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

B&Q seem as good as anywhere to get paint in a wide range of colours at reasonable prices. If they're struggling to make a profit, then either:

1. They're paying too much rent, or...

2. Nobody is decorating any more (landlords too stretched to decorate, renters won't pay to do up the sh*t hole they put up with, home owners too stretched)

Hmmm..... it all comes down to house prices in the end

B&Q are the good guys - head and shoulders above the rest. At B&Q you can get a qualified electrician to talk you through a job and then not even buy anything. The effect on morale is going to be dire. The CEO should have found another way. Some of their stores are prime town centre, and enormous, they could be sweated for more income.

I suspect that the "argos style" DIY stores like Screwfix (which is also part of the Kingfisher group) and Toolstation are denting their profits as well.

I went to B&Q recently to buy something as simple a new piece of cord for a bog light switch.

It was something like £3 for a piece of string ( IIRC ). I bought it off amazon for £1.25 inclduing postage.

I went to B&Q recently to buy something as simple a new piece of cord for a bog light switch.

It was something like £3 for a piece of string ( IIRC ). I bought it off amazon for £1.25 inclduing postage.

In screwfix/toolstation you can get an entire pull cord lightswitch for less than £3 and for only 20-50p more than what you paid for a cord off amazon.

I don't even bother with B&Q nowadays, quick look at the screwfix/toolstation website or catalogue to check they have what I'm after and go straight there.

Edited by olde guto

It's called re-balancing the economy!

We've got Direct Lines Landlord Insurance. Soon we'll have exclusively, Landlord Banking, Landlord Hairdressers, Landlord Car Dealerships, and Landlord McDonalds!

Now how do I get across the divide?

B&Q are the good guys - head and shoulders above the rest. At B&Q you can get a qualified electrician to talk you through a job and then not even buy anything. The effect on morale is going to be dire. The CEO should have found another way. Some of their stores are prime town centre, and enormous, they could be sweated for more income.

Yes, I'd agree with this. Staff there are really good, but sadly some of the prices are atrocious - and what was once a OKish trade discount has practically disappeared.

It's called re-balancing the economy!

We've got Direct Lines Landlord Insurance. Soon we'll have exclusively, Landlord Banking, Landlord Hairdressers, Landlord Car Dealerships, and Landlord McDonalds!

Now how do I get across the divide?

By renting a seat on a plane....

I wander into b&q every now and again and somehow they always seem to almost have the item I'm looking for (and usually 100 alternative variations) but somehow missing the one I need.

Ain't that the truth. Our local Homebase is having a closing down sale just now, and their stock is still more expensive than online!

Ain't that the truth. Our local Homebase is having a closing down sale just now, and their stock is still more expensive than online!

toolstation is the cheapest actual shop. Much cheaper than screwfix and don't even mention Homebase

B&Q seem as good as anywhere to get paint in a wide range of colours at reasonable prices. If they're struggling to make a profit, then either:

1. They're paying too much rent, or...

2. Nobody is decorating any more (landlords too stretched to decorate, renters won't pay to do up the sh*t hole they put up with, home owners too stretched)

Hmmm..... it all comes down to house prices in the end

toolstation is the cheapest actual shop. Much cheaper than screwfix and don't even mention Homebase

I reckon homebase will go pop. They are selling cheap tat at sky high prices. A huge Homebase store here in Birmingham moved and took over a defunct B&Q building. Whenever I go in its deserted. It doesnt sell the same amount of tools as they used to. It seems they are going for high markup stuff but forget it is also the small items such as decent handheld screwdrivers and such that actually attract customers and they may buy other stuff once inside.

When stores just start selling fast turnover items then they make a big mistake.

Edited by GinAndPlatonic

I reckon homebase will go pop.

I thought it already had (the one near me has closed to be replaced by a huge B&M Bargains). B&Q is the next nearest DIY place I know of. As has been mentioned the staff are good, I suppose that's a part of what you're paying for but when push comes to shove "cheap" usually wins out.

I don't think they have woken up to the fact they are living in a deflationary economy. Their stock so poor quality it is scrap within months. I bought what looked like a reasonable soap dispenser and bracket. I mounted it high enough not to get splashed yet it disintegrated within a couple of months. I made a replacement out of real timber and painted it. It seems that the selling of magnolia landlord paint and crap that you can put in and blame the tenant for when they ask for their deposit back is all that B&Q/Homebase care about. As all landlords are cheapskates there is very little profit in it.

Remember Do It All?

_201468_do_it_all_150.jpg

---

The DIY retailer B&Q is planning a major expansion, creating 20,000 jobs, half of them full-time, in the next five years.

Kingfisher, the giant retail chain that also owns Woolworths UK, is planning to invest £750m in 125 new B&Q Warehouse stores on out-of-town sites.

Geoff Mulcahy, chief executive of Kingfisher, said the move "will help ensure that B&Q maintains its record for growth and for consistently outperforming the market and its competitors."

Guess the year before clicking on the link below, from where the blurb came from...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/201468.stm