House Price Crash Forum

This Is Why Your Rent Keeps Going Up

tyres

HOLA441

The letter that could explain why your rent keeps going up

This image of a letter from estate agents CJ Hole has been widely circulating on social media.

4294-2s40q4.jpg

One remarkable aspect about the message (which CJ Hole has confirmed to i100.co.uk is authentic) is that it isn’t particularly remarkable. Make no mistake: messages like this are going out to landlords across the country.

As Alex Hilton, director of Generation Rent which campaigns for tenants’ rights, told i100.co.uk:

Landlords don’t have to put up rents, but as the housing crisis worsens and tenants get more desperate, landlords who don’t raise rents are being told they’re stupid for not doing so. No-one powerful is challenging them not to raise rents on the grounds of simple ethics. Tenants are increasingly seen as nothing more than cattle to be milked.

article here...

HOLA442
HOLA443

Even the mafia don't put the protection squeeze on clients above a certain level even if they can pay it, it's just not worth the hassle and the negative effects when the money is already coming in, and this is a criminal organisation with very little ethical considerations. Now we see EA's push parasite economics to another level entirely.

HOLA444
HOLA445

In any normal functioning market (i.e. one not cartelised) supply would increase to meet demand.

Since private sector wont do this, government must.

govt can borrow for nothing. They should do so to build houses.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

High housing costs affect every business negatively that is not directly associated with making money from the housing market. It's basically hurting everyone bar a small number of landlords / speculators.

I sort of agree with this however remember that via Housing Benefit the Government are supporting low wages and effectively subsidising Employers and Landlords.

HOLA4410

it's funny gen rent doesn't campaign to #letmktsetrates #banHTB

Been asking myself the same question since 2010.

Have the masses been secretly brainwashed ? Was it something TPTB put in the water ?

Are the participants on this site some of the few who have been immune to this process ? ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

it's funny gen rent doesn't campaign to #letmktsetrates #banHTB

I'm 28 and firmly and mix in the ABC1 demographic around my age group both socially and professionally; they are largely asleep.

Most people my age got brainwashed by the new labour education which taught that aspiration was immoral and if you go and do a liberal arts degree you'll be ok in life.

HOLA4413

I'm 28 and firmly and mix in the ABC1 demographic around my age group both socially and professionally; they are largely asleep.

Most people my age got brainwashed by the new labour education which taught that aspiration was immoral and if you go and do a liberal arts degree you'll be ok in life.

What are you talking about?

HOLA4414

What are you talking about?

Stopping competitive sport in primary schools, rampant grade deflation to make people at the bottom of the class feel better, targeting 50% of school leavers to go onto high education whilst pushing easy subjects rather than courses that set you up to compete in a global workforce, steadfast rejection of streaming/grammar schools etc etc.

Not to mention this disproportionately large part of the curriculum reserved for social sciences, arts etc which are taught by a unionized government workforce with a slight bias ;). Simultaneously dumbing down time spent and standards taught of science/maths which can't be politicised.

I've lived it and I've seen many of my peers under-achieve as a result of "lowest-common-denominator" education policies.

HOLA4415

Typically (in London) people spend £12,000 a year on rent and £1,200 a year on gas and electricity ... so little Ed Millipede declares a cost of living crisis due to gas and electricity prices. No surprise really from another trust-fund leader looking out for his BTL LL chums.

Do you think the political parties care a shit about the renters.....no not one bit of it.....they don't even talk about it, rather talk about saving £100pa on your fuel bill...landlords will see they cream every possible pound coin they can master, rents keep going up but mortgage rates keep falling ......then we wonder why nearly two million are waiting on council waiting lists.

http://www.gmb.org.uk/newsroom/housing-waiting-list

HOLA4416

Why do rents go up?

Obviously it`s because it`s because the whole world economy has been hollowed out, property rental based on hpi is one of the few ways to make a buck. When that goes there`ll be nothing left.

I`m sure there`ll be something worse coming down the line.

HOLA4417

My LL has told me that they're putting the rent up on my 1 bed flat in N10 to over £350 a week, based on... nothing. They haven't even had a cursory look on RM, which would show that the most expensive 1 bed flat in the postcode is currently £310 a week asking price.

So, after two years of zero missed payments, I can only assume they're doing it out of greed.

HOLA4418
Guest Jemmy Button

My LL has told me that they're putting the rent up on my 1 bed flat in N10 to over £350 a week, based on... nothing. They haven't even had a cursory look on RM, which would show that the most expensive 1 bed flat in the postcode is currently £310 a week asking price.

So, after two years of zero missed payments, I can only assume they're doing it out of greed.

Tell the C**t to F**k off...

Mind you, with unlimited immigration, the scum landlord is bound to find some eastern european to fill his coffers. The only thing i can suggest is to vote UKiP...

Edited by Jemmy Button

HOLA4419

Tell the C**t to F**k off...

Mind you, with unlimited immigration, the scum landlord is bound to find some eastern european to fill his coffers. The only thing i can suggest is to vote UKiP...

£310 with LL "aspirations" for £350 1 bed in a semi-professional and up and coming area of London. Well above the HB cap already. You better hope no wide eyed accountancy/law grads come along.....I wouldn't be fearing the Eastern Europeans.

In fact voting UKIP would be problematic for you. More high skilled immigrants (vs low skilled immigrants) in high paying professional jobs to pay high rents.

Edited by bankstersparadise

HOLA4420

£310 with LL "aspirations" for £350 1 bed in a semi-professional and up and coming area of London.

I wouldn't call Muswell Hill "up and coming". Grads don't want to be this far out; it really is quite a family-oriented area, so I can't see a stampede for a 1-bedder at £200 a month over market value. If LL won't budge, I'll be moving out.