London Still Shit (And Getting Worse)

HOLA441
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I don't know if that world is still there as I only go to the City during the week now and only occasionally; but the vast numbers of hotels that have since sprung up there suggest it may have joined the 24 hour society at last.

No not really, still dead on Saturday and especially so on Sunday. You do get a bit of traffic over the millenium bridge in to St Paul's but it doesn't really extend any further than that.

HOLA445
HOLA446

No not really, still dead on Saturday and especially so on Sunday. You do get a bit of traffic over the millenium bridge in to St Paul's but it doesn't really extend any further than that.

City pubs are quite good for a night out away from the madding crowd, but make sure you check in advance as some of them are closed on weekends.

HOLA447
HOLA448

There were bad signs London was coming down with a bit of a w@nker infestation probably ten years ago.

Whenever you mentioned it to anyone, that you really were always glad to get out of the place, you'd either get the 'tired of London tired of life' cliche - often from people who had no real feel of the place since childhood school trips to the musuems - or 'it's exciting and vibrant'.

These days there does seem to be more of a general acceptance it has indeed got quite a bad w@nker infestation. To my mind the Dick Whittington demographic has grown significantly and this excessive immigration of w@nkers from the provinces is overlooked in favour of the obvious one.

HOLA449

At the weekend they'll be in my local for the best dressed man in pink shirt competition.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

, you'd either get the 'tired of London tired of life' cliche

other than a few pubs clubs restaurants and a few theatres an underground tube network , what is the attraction ?? i lived in zone 3 for 25 years and never got the so called buzz that people keep talking about

HOLA4412

other than a few pubs clubs restaurants and a few theatres an underground tube network , what is the attraction ?? i lived in zone 3 for 25 years and never got the so called buzz that people keep talking about

I don't deny the buzz. I've seen some interesting things up close over the years "just walkin' up and down", eg. Lady Di in Soho Sq.; Matt Groening in St. Martin's Lane; The South Park team at the opening of the Book Of Mormon; I was walking by the Apollo Theatre last year just as the ceiling fell in.; Tom Jones impromptu busking on the South Bank (my pic below); Nigel Farage on the tube on his way to meet Rupert Murdoch; Asil Nadir being arraigned at Bow Street Magistrates (now closed, along with Gt. Marlborough st.); Various riots; IRA bombs going off, etc.

All free.

And there was a network of cheap and quirky cafes, eateries and bookshops to hang out in.

Just doesn't feel the same now.

the scene is more repressive for my hobby of street photography

And you need serious wonga in your pocket to go in most places.

Tom busking on the South Bank (note the Millennium Wheel reflected in his shades)

tomjones.jpg

HOLA4413

London is no doubt an exciting and interesting place. Pretty much whatever your interest, you'll find a group of people who share it. There is also fantastic wealth to be tapped into - if you have a mind to.

But it can also be an extremely hectic, polluted, slowly soul destroyingly expensive and shallow place. As a young person, the trade off often seems a worthwhile one. I found it became less so as I got into my mid 30s - and had no roots or other reason to keep me there.

I prefer the relationship I now have with it. Having lived there for nearly a decade, I know parts of it very well and am no longer intimidated by it. I go there quite regularly for work, occasionally stay over - but no longer have to live there.

HOLA4414

There were bad signs London was coming down with a bit of a w@nker infestation probably ten years ago.

Whenever you mentioned it to anyone, that you really were always glad to get out of the place, you'd either get the 'tired of London tired of life' cliche - often from people who had no real feel of the place since childhood school trips to the musuems - or 'it's exciting and vibrant'.

These days there does seem to be more of a general acceptance it has indeed got quite a bad w@nker infestation. To my mind the Dick Whittington demographic has grown significantly and this excessive immigration of w@nkers from the provinces is overlooked in favour of the obvious one.

Dr Johnson made his famous comment about London life in the days when a gentleman of moderate means would have no problem finding good accommodation within walking distance of all the city's attractions, but also within walking distance of beautiful countryside and peace and quiet. He didn't have to contend with hyperinflated property prices, urban sprawl, or the tube at rush hour.

HOLA4415

I don't deny the buzz. I've seen some interesting things up close over the years "just walkin' up and down", eg. Lady Di in Soho Sq.; Matt Groening in St. Martin's Lane; The South Park team at the opening of the Book Of Mormon; I was walking by the Apollo Theatre last year just as the ceiling fell in.; Tom Jones impromptu busking on the South Bank (my pic below); Nigel Farage on the tube on his way to meet Rupert Murdoch; Asil Nadir being arraigned at Bow Street Magistrates (now closed, along with Gt. Marlborough st.); Various riots; IRA bombs going off, etc.

All free.

And there was a network of cheap and quirky cafes, eateries and bookshops to hang out in.

Just doesn't feel the same now.

the scene is more repressive for my hobby of street photography

And you need serious wonga in your pocket to go in most places.

Tom busking on the South Bank (note the Millennium Wheel reflected in his shades)

I've almost been arrested for using a camera to catch "public places" on film!

HOLA4416

Archived