House Price Crash Forum

1. Quit Job 2. Build Camper Van 3. Travel

200p

HOLA441

Some people are quitting the system as opposed to taking up Help To Buy (Cameron you should have introduced it from day 1 :wacko: ). And I know some of us talk about living in a van. Well here's a chap who's doing it, and there are regular updates. He set off one year ago, with £4500....

^Him building his van

He has a website http://vandogtraveller.com

One of his more recent postings:

So when will I go back?

I don’t know. At the moment if I go back to England it’ll be to see friends or to sort out van stuff, but then it’ll be back on the road.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I saw a sticker on the back of a beaten up old camper van the other day, with a couple in their 60’s in it which read “Going on an adventure, before dementia!”. Good idea I thought, most people in their 60's are fit enough for it while most in their 70's may not be.

The series with Timothy West and Prunella Scales bumbling around UK and France on canal boats has been worth watching not least becase she has Alzheimers.

HOLA444

I saw a sticker on the back of a beaten up old camper van the other day, with a couple in their 60’s in it which read “Going on an adventure, before dementia!”. Good idea I thought, most people in their 60's are fit enough for it while most in their 70's may not be.

Was there one of these too?

183a7e30cc0053a17a7175a4569bcf54.jpg

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

What would you do for an income while out gypoing it up?

Also an option for those that have money though, nothing quite beats living poor when you are rich. Just as there is nothing worse for your health and wealth than living rich when you are poor.

HOLA448

I'd happily live in a (decent sized) camper for an extended period of time. When you take into account how small apartments are; how lots of people have to share housed, and how technology is has made entertainment smaller, it doesn't sound too bad.

HOLA449

I was ist thinking that if you could fit a microwave and a rice cooker into the van that would be my cooking needs sorted. Simples.

If you don't want kids or if they're grown up this is a fantastic thing to do. It also highlights the costs of keeping up with the jonses with regards to a big house, and the freedom that you get from not buying into that.

HOLA4410

I went to look at some camper vans at a local showroom some very nice palace like vans (mor like small bus's from Hymer (german i believe)

they were around £70,000 but comfortably liveable permanet full sized double bedrooms at the rear etc.

For the average sized decent camper £40,000 gets you a very nice one.

£25,000 would get you something that would be liveable for short periods like 3 months etc

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I'd quite fancy kitting out something lile a Citroen Dispatch and just using it as a camping vehicle - lob some memory foam in the back for sleeping to obviate the need for a tent.

Rig up an awning for cooking etc.

Just need somewhere to park it and a few grand to cover the cost

HOLA4413

This is a useful blog/site/resource from a younger couple who have been there/done that.

http://www.europebycamper.com/

Theres a section on what does it cost to tour Europe for a year

http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/03/touring-europe-for-year-what-does-it.html

Just under £10k or £29 per day per couple.

From memory they tried to camp free, in airs or wild and costs exclude cost of van but include fuel. So equivalent of not paying rent for a flat which obviosuly skews the costs.

When Ive costed a similar long holiday/trip but included camper van (depreciation or hire) and decent overnight campsites it starts to become pretty expensive. But I wouldnt be interested in slumming it in a ford transit with a few bits of camping gear bolted on, whearas others might.

Ive only done it in the past for short hols (4-6 wks) and its been great fun but it can be a pain having to take your van with your nearly everywhere and like all camping it can be hot during day in hot climes and cold/damp overnight

HOLA4414

Any chance of posting a link to what 70 grand gets you in terms of camper van?

this was the place i went

heres one 2015 brand new £75k

http://dolphinmotorhomes.clickforward.com/UsedMotorhomeView.aspx?registration=AT01415&votm=1

These are the ones though if £70k is the budget they really are like a palace inside.

http://www.buerstner.com/uk/motorhomes/integrated_models/aviano/floor_plans.html

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

> but it can be a pain having to take your van with your nearly everywhere

This is why I wouldn't like a full sized camp-o-bus thing.

You'd basically need a pair of scooters just for basic errands and stuff.

Whereas the larger car derived vans would be ok for that.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

thats the one's.

Had a thought with the euro to £ exhange rate and the need for a left hand drive if spending alot of time on the continent theses could be a real bargain if purchased in in germany in euros

First rule of buying a campervan made in Germany is don`t buy it in the UK unless theres a massive currency advantage

This is a lot of van considering the euro/£ exchange rate and merc based ,would not touch the fiat based ones at that age

http://suchen.mobile.de/wohnwagen-inserat/hymer-eriba-s-700-2-9cdi-automatik-klima-ahk-festbett-top-hilpoltstein/206451801.html?lang=en&pageNumber=6&action=eyeCatcher&__lp=52&scopeId=MH&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.makeId=11300&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.makeId=10800&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&vehicleCategory=Motorhome&segment=Motorhome&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&categories=Integrated

HOLA4420

HOLA4421

Left hand drive too, which would make them easier to drive on the continent...would be tempted, but i'm shite at mechanics...

It`s a merc 2.8 tdi these engines are the best mercedes ever made, (the early ones had headgasket problems but that was sorted by using MLS gaskets instead of fiber ones) well looked after 400-500 k miles is common there auto gearboxes of that time were the envy of the world

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

> but it can be a pain having to take your van with your nearly everywhere

This is why I wouldn't like a full sized camp-o-bus thing.

You'd basically need a pair of scooters just for basic errands and stuff.

Whereas the larger car derived vans would be ok for that.

If only someone would invent a sort of camper arrangement where you could unhitch the living accomodation and be left with a convenient car-sized vehicle for the local trips.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived