House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longtermrenter

F1?.... Nah, Motogp

Amazing race yesterday. As much as I like F1 and actually enjoyed yesterday's win by Vettel, the MotoGP race literally had me on the edge of my seat, hyperventilating and biting my nails. Yes, sometimes it can be as much of a procession as F1 but when it's a good race it is unbeatable.

Edit for typo

Obviously not around in the Doohan era ;)

As you say can at times be just as processionary as F1 but at least you do know if a bike is catching another there will be an attempt at an overtake.

Both for me. I was hoping Dovizioso would win but he ballsed up the last corner. Good to see more manufacturers this season.

I wouldn't say current era motogp is processionary as there is often a lot of action at the start. However, it can get that way if someone makes a break at the front.

Also looking forward to BTCC starting on Easter Sunday.

The impressive thing is how Vale keeps his motivation. He has achieved everything and got more money than he could ever spend.

Guess he just loves racing and that makes him a joy to watch!

Obviously not around in the Doohan era ;)

Actually I have been following it since it was 125/250/500. The earliest races I remember were Lawson/Gardner. I'm old enough to remember Sheen being massive and I remember his last big crash on the news. The only period I didn't watch so much if was 99-2004 as I was very busy at weekends working.

I watched Rossi's first 500 win at Donnington in 2000 on YouTube last night. I can't believe how much greater the angle of dangle is in just 15 years.

Edit for typo

Also watched "when superbikes ruled the world" on YouTube. Very amusing.

Just watched 10 minutes or so, looks great. Will have to check it out tonight.

That was the golden period for me, Superbikes really did rule the roost back then, in part as previously mentioned because Doohan was so dominant in GP it meant that there was simply no competition for him.

Another thing I found on YouTube:

Continental Circus:

My love of the band Gong and mourning their leader David Allen led me to this. They did the soundtrack.

It follows privateer Australian Jack Finley across the European racing circuits in 1969 starting at the TT. There are some arty bits but mainly fantastic footage of real racing in a bygone age. The contrast between Jack and Ago is amazing in regards to the support crew etc. That is, Back has his wife, Ago a team of mechanics.

Really worth a watch and I think unavailable on DVD. Get past the first ten minutes to get to the meat of the film. Also very sad.