House Price Crash Forum
Habeas Domus

Housing: Are We Reaching A Tipping Point? - Zoe Williams

...But there is something paradoxical about the housing market: as its figures become more and more gargantuan and absurd – as “unaffordable” slides into “unimaginable” – the overall effect is to create a mountain that cannot be scaled: this way of life simply becomes the new normal. To complain about it sounds naive and old-fashioned, like complaining about the weather or robots stealing jobs.

And perhaps because they’ve produced enough shocking data to know the curious inertia it arouses, Shelter added another ingredient: interviews with people, asking how they felt about their homes. Amid all the heart-tugging anxieties about the physical and emotional effects on children, having to live in damp, overcrowded homes, there’s this insistent perception of inferiority; people feeling looked down upon, not just by institutions but by their friends. (There’s also always a note of silver-lining whenever people are asked in depth about poverty. One interviewee said he felt he’d lost friendships because everyone else had bought and he hadn’t, and they simply had different, incompatible lifestyles. Then he added: “But I’ve met people through renting who I’m still friends with now.”)

The headline findings are probably all about relationships – what pressures are put on people paying high rents in insecure housing, how they put off having families and cope with the incessant financial anxiety; but what I think is really telling is the articulation of shame. Because when you say “I feel that people think I’m inferior, I feel that friends look down upon me”, what you’re actually saying is: “I am not inferior. If they look down upon me, it’s because they’re fools.” In the act of speaking about stigma, you slough it off....

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/29/housing-reaching-tipping-point-shelter-new-ers-focus-e15#comment-49647589

You never heard a murmur from the Guardian when it was the Labour party creating the bubble.

Ah, but it wasn't a bubble then - it was just the economy booming thanks to the supreme wisdom of Blair/Brown.

Ah, but it wasn't a bubble then - it was just the economy booming thanks to the supreme wisdom of Blair/Brown.

:lol: It was indeed. No more boom and bust.

In the article it talks of social rent being set at 50% and 'affordable' rent at 80% market rate - this uprating of rents was a phenomenon that started under Labour. All good for GPD willy measuring, but rather perverse and not a god thing for people or the wider economy.

Oh yes i forgot how from 2002-2007 people used to look at me funny when i used to tell them it was a bubble and this is the only reason they're making money.

People seriously believed their own bullsht then.

Is there any point to this article.

I want to live in Hoxton but cannot afford to (like probably 95% of the population) is hardly the greatest of injustices .How about moving a few miles further out where houses cost half as much.

Social rent at 50% of market rate, who pays the other 50%. I sure as hell don't wamt to susidise people who think they deserve to live in the centre of one of the most expensive cities on earth.

To some extent I agree that anything the Guardianistas have to say about housing can be met with...

"The Blairs are multi millionaire landlords. Gordon Brown said he'd ended boom & bust"

...but it's better that they speak up now than hold the blu-Labour party line forever.

If Miliband doesn't make PM in May, it's time for a big shake up on the left.

Guardian are as guilty as anyone in the media of stoking up the bubble. For every article like this, there will half a dozen others extolling the virtues of BTL/moving to some previously unheard of place and driving up prices there.

It is also extremely London biased. Prices have at best gone sideways around here for last few years.

The renter stigma is something I recognise from when I was a kid in the 80s - so it's nothing new. It was one measure of class divide. Scum rented, the up and coming/middle class - bought. It was well understood even at school, and would affect which social groups you were in. In fact it's probably more socially acceptable nowadays.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Social rent at 50% of market rate, who pays the other 50%. I sure as hell don't wamt to susidise people who think they deserve to live in the centre of one of the most expensive cities on earth.

I'd like zoe to arrange for my Waitrose bill to be set at 50% of market prices, instead I have to shop at Lidl!

You never heard a murmur from the Guardian when it was the Labour party creating the bubble.

So?

So they aren't allowed to say anything now then? So people/politicians/editors aren't allowed to change their mind?

I wish politicians etc. would change their minds more often if presented with the evidence, trouble is elements of our media don't like this and brainwash their readers into thinking its a bad thing.

Is there any point to this article.

I want to live in Hoxton but cannot afford to (like probably 95% of the population) is hardly the greatest of injustices .How about moving a few miles further out where houses cost half as much.

In answer to your question the other 50% will be paid for by who can't afford to live in the centre of London.

Maybe we need to ask if things really are different this time?

The establishment are going to print and to subsidise, in order to keep the bubble inflated.

There is no shortage of people willing to work and live in London and the south east.

Unless there is a catastrophic economic collapse in the UK it will continue like this. There is no sign of sufficient numbers of houses being built. Oh yes, we could go the ukip anti-foreigner route, and bring on the economic crash. Be careful what you wish for..

Oh yes i forgot how from 2002-2007 people used to look at me funny when i used to tell them it was a bubble and this is the only reason they're making money.

People seriously believed their own bullsht then.

Certain people always love their own bullsht.

Maybe we need to ask if things really are different this time?

The establishment are going to print and to subsidise, in order to keep the bubble inflated.

There is no shortage of people willing to work and live in London and the south east.

Unless there is a catastrophic economic collapse in the UK it will continue like this. There is no sign of sufficient numbers of houses being built. Oh yes, we could go the ukip anti-foreigner route, and bring on the economic crash. Be careful what you wish for..

But they are not coming to London to pay for their rent with their own money.

Reduce housing benefit, scarp tax credits and - poof! - 40% of London's population will go.

Reduce housing benefit, scarp tax credits and - poof! - 40% of London's population will go.

A wonderful dream it would also cause loss of confidence and cheaper housing throughout the UK. Sadly no party wants this to happen.

A wonderful dream it would also cause loss of confidence and cheaper housing throughout the UK. Sadly no party wants this to happen.

The UK is a country with massive budget and current account deficits.

We've got away with it for 7 years, mainly as the focus is on Europe and Greece.

I doubt the UKs luck will last.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/number-of-housing-benefit-claimants-and-average-weekly-spare-room-subsidy-amount-withdrawal

827k claimants in London. Wonder what proportion households? Definitely peaked through and seems to be falling in London.

Numbers peaked at 852k in May 13 one month after benefits cap. Down 3% and rate fall seems to be increasing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11370910/David-Cameron-to-reduce-benefits-cap-to-23000-immediately-if-he-wins-the-election.html

If benefit cap further reduced as mooted allot of rental money will leave London.

Edited by growlers

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/number-of-housing-benefit-claimants-and-average-weekly-spare-room-subsidy-amount-withdrawal

827k claimants in London. Wonder what proportion households? Definitely peaked through and seems to be falling in London.

Numbers peaked at 852k in May 13 one month after benefits cap. Down 3% and rate fall seems to be increasing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11370910/David-Cameron-to-reduce-benefits-cap-to-23000-immediately-if-he-wins-the-election.html

If benefit cap further reduced as mooted allot of rental money will leave London.

The benefits cap is all hype. Very few families are affected by it because it is very easy to circumvent. Just get on DLA/PIP/ESA with depression or get a fake self employed job and get tax credits and hey presto, you are no longer subject to the cap. I think the Tories have probably been more generous that Labour when it comes to benefits. They certainly haven't reduced them (except child benefit for working middle class families). It's all smoke and mirrors.

Go where? If it's out of the country then great, if it's elsewhere in the country then hello more housing pressure there, better for London, worse for everywhere else.

To some extent I agree that anything the Guardianistas have to say about housing can be met with...

"The Blairs are multi millionaire landlords. Gordon Brown said he'd ended boom & bust"

...but it's better that they speak up now than hold the blu-Labour party line forever.

If Miliband doesn't make PM in May, it's time for a big shake up on the left.

To be fair he did manage that to some extent the boom ended and we are are now in perpetual bust

Oh yes, we could go the ukip anti-foreigner route, and bring on the economic crash. Be careful what you wish for..

Sounds good to me. Crash and rebuild may well be better off in the long run.