House Price Crash Forum
Marshmellow

Ed Miliband Manifesto Launch With An 'immigrant' Nhs Worker Introducing Him

Watch the first minute.

I'm sorry, but is anyone a bit alarmed that out of all the immigrants they could find working for the NHS, they managed to find one that clearly does not have a proper grasp of the English language?

I cannot even describe the situation when the Labour party/politically correct moron spouts 'the NHS would collapse without immigrants' and then someone like that is paraded on TV like some token.

Its a symbolic twofer...one they get to drone on about the NHS, which is pretty much all they talk about nowadays - they don't seem to have any economic policies, and cant talk much about the dreaded benefit cap given over 80% of people seem to agree with it...second they imply all those millions of people they invited in work for the NHS...a downright lie, but given its about he only area most people seem to think it justifies significant immigration, a wise decision.

The NHS is a marvellous trough for those so employed. What a pity our money doesn't go to treating ill people.

This is ******** ain't it? So out of touch it's unreal.

I can't recall which book I read it in now (might have been a Tom Clancy), but the point was made that towards the end of the USSR the political elite were so insulated and had told many lies about the economy for so long that they didn't actually know they were lying anymore. I get that feeling from Labour. An immigrant NHS worker? Seriously?

Its a symbolic twofer...one they get to drone on about the NHS, which is pretty much all they talk about nowadays - they don't seem to have any economic policies, and cant talk much about the dreaded benefit cap given over 80% of people seem to agree with it...second they imply all those millions of people they invited in work for the NHS...a downright lie, but given its about he only area most people seem to think it justifies significant immigration, a wise decision.

Both parties are clueless when it comes to setting a long term economic and industrial polcy.

Labour love to fetishise over sacred welfare state cows like the NHS. Even the Guardian could not massage the figures for the number of foreign hospital workers to more than 11% of total. This is without asking the main ethical question on this matter which is whether it is right that the UK should be stripping poorer foreign countries of their health care workers just to satisfy its own needs. Surely the morally right thing would be to recruiting and train staff here. In fact if you look at it that way then Miliband is effectively advocating neo colonial exploitation which at the end of the day is what the UKs immigration policy amounts to in the NHS and elsewhere

The Tories only want to look at the wrong type of deficits. They are obsessed about the government debt while completely ignoring private debt and most crucial of all the current account deficit run by the UK PLC with the rest of the world.They are also the worlds greatest economic hypocrites in that they hate bailouts and subsidies for the poor but money is no object when it comes to propping up farmers, landowners and the city,

To hell with all of them

Edited by stormymonday_2011

The NHS is a marvellous trough for those so employed. What a pity our money doesn't go to treating ill people.

If average salaries had increased at the same rate per head NHS spending did between 1997-2014, the average salary would now be approaching £50,000, instead of half that.

and all they talk about is 'cuts'.

WTF, is this some kind of sick joke?

The woman clearly doesn't have a grasp of the spoken language and appears to struggle with the written word. How can we be sure she's safe to unleash on a ward where she may have to read medicine labels?

Oh deary deary me. Only Liebour would play the immigrant card so clearly cynically. Still, that rather sums up thes tate of UK politics today.

As an aside to this, a neighbour of mine is a NHS accountant, did you know medical negligence claims cost the tax payer some £400 million last year? <_<

Watch the first minute.

I'm sorry, but is anyone a bit alarmed that out of all the immigrants they could find working for the NHS, they managed to find one that clearly does not have a proper grasp of the English language?

I cannot even describe the situation when the Labour party/politically correct moron spouts 'the NHS would collapse without immigrants' and then someone like that is paraded on TV like some token.

Understood every word. Perhaps you have a hearing or cognitive difficulty?

Must be incredibly nerve-wracking being asked to present in front of TV cameras and a live audience when you never do that especially when introducing the leader of a political party. She sounded understandably very nervous.

This has possibly been mentioned before, however, if she's only recently got employment here, I'd like to know several things.

Is the country she is originally from crying out for her 'skill set' more than ours and if they are, is it morally right to lure her away with (presumably) better pay and conditions ?

This has possibly been mentioned before, however, if she's only recently got employment here, I'd like to know several things.

Is the country she is originally from crying out for her 'skill set' more than ours and if they are, is it morally right to lure her away with (presumably) better pay and conditions ?

+1 exactly! I bet she had to leave her children and husband back at home, is living in some rented HMO and lives the life of a slave. Meanwhile her children and husband probably have poor healthcare and live in squalor.

Let's just think about who is the racist scum in all of this?

If it was the leader of the BMP parading his new slave workforce in front of the cameras just think of the uproar.

Imagine you are a stroke victim, and this person comes up to you with a tray of medicines and a hypodermic needles, reads out your name wrong and then looks at a list to give you your shot. I'd be terrified!

Edited by XswampyX

Ed is a bit of a buttock, and I don't know any politicians that will represent the Piniverse

There is nothing new about foreign workers in the NHS

My first job on leaving school was as a porter in a hospital in 1976. There were plenty of foreign ancillary staff employed in that institution including cleaners and ward orderlies from places as far away as Brazil and Columbia together with nurses from all over the Commonwealth. Many had accommodation provided on the hospital premises The difference then was that this same insitution was also used to run in house nurse training both for UK citizens and for people from overseas, Now that has all gone so the NHS has changed from being an enabler and trainer of workers for the medical profession world wide to a kind of parasite who skims off the talent from other lands. Same thing operates in the IT industry where I work currently. I once started to tot up the countries that people who I worked with over the years had originated. I gave up when the number got over 30 including many parts of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East as well as Europe and the Americas. I have a fair amount of sympathy wih a lot of immigrant workers who leave their homeland and travel miles to a new land to start another life. However, I also think myself that a lot of them are simply being used and will be dropped just as quickly when another cheaper alternative comes along. To my mind this exploitative element of the process is never fully recognised though no doubt it is all too clear to second and third generation immigrants whose families have been here a while. Doubtless this is one of the reasons some of them are attracted to extremism.

In this instance MIliband here is just making a an election pitch to a particular voting community just as Cameron was when he appeared before a load of pensioners earlier in the week. In the latter case it did not go to plan as the ungrateful and cantankerous old buggers started asking awkward questions. Of course, Ed is probably not really interested in the NHS or immigrants. His sole concern like Cameron is getting elected. If that means exploiting people like this woman to get a few more votes then so be it. I just hope she realises that by appearing in that election pitch today the Tories and their chums among the press muckrakers are probably going to start rummaging through every aspect of her own and her family's life.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Another part of the equation is whether she eventually returns, taking the skills she has acquired in the UK (presumably better training than in a 3rd-world country) with her, arguably for the betterment of her home country. Its all more complicated than it first appears.

Another part of the equation is whether she eventually returns, taking the skills she has acquired in the UK (presumably better training than in a 3rd-world country) with her, arguably for the betterment of her home country. Its all more complicated than it first appears.

I doubt it. In fact, I can probably tell you her ambition. I had a long chat with a Nigerian NHS nurse when I was in hospital a couple of years ago (I posted it on here at the time). It was about 2am and she was on the night shift. She was clearly a hard-working woman who wanted a better life. I actually asked her what her ambition was. So she told me what her dreams and hopes were. She told me her favourite programme was Homes Under the Hammer and her greatest ambition was to get out of the monotony of her job and do what they do in that programme. So, so sad. The bread and circuses of the BBC and our politicians have a lot to answer for. It is obviously, after all, a control and exploitation mechanism. And Labour are the worst of the lot, because they pretend to be the worker's friend.

For the love of God warn us if you're going to post a video introduced by Harriet Harman.

The same for Theresa May.

Harman will always have a place at the top of the liebour party...shes a dependable lapdog. Zero convictions, 100% careerist.

Better living standards is what's being mentioned on that screenshot. Well, no-one seems to be doing anything that would achieve what I regard as better living standards. Good company and good surroundings == better living standards once you've got the basics of life sorted out. Good company is none of the government's business and the surroundings are getting worse. Most of the basics of life have been sorted for decades in the UK, although keeping house prices high impinges on that somewhat.

Any politician actually pledging to do anything about those? Thought not, so I'll remain depressed about the future.

Better living standards is what's being mentioned on that screenshot. Well, no-one seems to be doing anything that would achieve what I regard as better living standards. Good company and good surroundings == better living standards once you've got the basics of life sorted out. Good company is none of the government's business and the surroundings are getting worse. Most of the basics of life have been sorted for decades in the UK, although keeping house prices high impinges on that somewhat.

Any politician actually pledging to do anything about those? Thought not, so I'll remain depressed about the future.

Living Standards will improve because of the The Living Standards Regulations and anyone not complying with them by having a good Living Standard will be shot.

Living Standards will improve because of the The Living Standards Regulations and anyone not complying with them by having a good Living Standard will be shot.

Typical Tory attitude! No, people who do not comply with the Living Standards Regulations need to be brought into the system so that they can be given the right kind of custodial sentences in purpose built establishments like the Dorchester and the Ritz so they can be educated in how to comply with the law. Repeat offenders will face stiffer penalties and may in extreme circumstances be banished to Gstaad.

They've used a first generation immigrant because it's east London - and the BME population is now the majority there.

I thought she was perfectly understandable, and understandably nervous.

stormymonday is right. Most NHS hospital doctors I've seen in the last 30 years have been immigrants, and it's somewhat disgusting that we are encouraging a brain drain from countries that can ill afford to lose their talent like this.

That's a fair point, although I'm under the impression that immigrants only have to do some kind of 'conversion' course, to ensure their medical training is comparable (to ours) and as such, she is already trained to a sufficient standard to practice in her own country.

As to her, or any immigrant returning after a period of work here, I can't really comment, would like to see the data if it were available.