House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Supermarket Carrier Bag Tax

Just a reminder to those with small bins who use carrier bags as liners.. You only have 6 months to stock up before they are banned / taxed.

That is all :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/queens-speech/10874480/5p-plastic-bag-tax-announced-in-Queens-Speech.html

Shoppers face plastic bag tax in move expected to raise millions of pounds every year for good causes

Shoppers will have to pay 5p for a plastic bag from October next year in a bid to cut litter and reduce damage to the environment.

I'm living in Scotland so have got used to the carrier bag tax over the past several months since it was implemented. I never used very many but never buy them at all now. I keep a carrier bag in the two coats I use and both of the handbags I have (not all women are seduced by having a handbag or coat collection!). On planned shopping trips I take one or sometimes two sturdy holdall bags.

Overall I think the charge on plastic carrier bags is good thing to reduce how many we use.

However, I do think that worldwide we should be aiming to make most plastic, including carrier bags, able to be recycled for longer more useful purposes. Then it would be better all round for the environment. It could be done. For example, a local company makes great outdoor benches etc. I've seen plastic roofing tiles and many other products made from recycled plastic. And I know it's possible to make plastic bags that can be recycled.

Being a cynic now about life in general, I doubt that any long term thinking regarding plastic will get any joined up thinking from the profiteers.

Overall I think the charge on plastic carrier bags is good thing to reduce how many we use.

What if plastic is the only reason the Earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place?

I should probably clarify that I have no issue with moving to greener alternatives like biodegradable bags etc.. This was more for the benefit of people like me who use these instead of buying equally un-environmentally friendly bin liners.

This move will effect us because we will necessarily use the same quantity after as before except now we will need to pay for them.. So worth stocking up :)

I should probably clarify that I have no issue with moving to greener alternatives like biodegradable bags etc.. This was more for the benefit of people like me who use these instead of buying equally un-environmentally friendly bin liners.

This move will effect us because we will necessarily use the same quantity after as before except now we will need to pay for them.. So worth stocking up :)

I was only posting my own thoughts on plastic no offence to you meant..

I too used to use cheap mass non recyclable carrier bags as bin liners because they are no different to the majority of the specified bin liners we can buy :)

I'm so glad our leaders have solved all the important problems we face and can now just tidy up the little details left over. Soon they'll be able to retire themselves completely.

Is it really worth it? How much can you stock up? How much would it otherwise cost?

#sweatingthesmallstuff

The rules in supermarkets has actually made people be smarter and think ahead when it comes to shopping. However - as per usual - the puritanical Scottish government created this across all shops.

So a tourist in Jenner's buying a nice jumper - now also has to pay 5p because they didn't bring their own bag. It's ******ing ludicrous.

In England are they being sensible and only doing it for food shops ?

If you have a small bin - you could forgo the bag. Just put the rubbish in the bin - when it is full, tip it into the larger bin for the bin man to collect.

This might mean you have to wash the bins more regularly, and you might want to get a bin that doesn't leak out smells.

A similar tax has been in operation here in Wales for quite a few years now. While the environmental impact of plastic bags is low compared to other problems, it's a useful everyday reminder to avoid waste.

I don't miss plastic bags at all now - and it feels odd to be handed one automatically when travelling in England now.

Always take a cloth bag or ruck sack with me when I go out. A cloth bag will fit in most coat pockets.

We now use bread bags as kitchen bin liners.

Like you, I use them for non-compostable, non-recyclable kitchen waste.

I have a fair few hundred stocked up courtesy of the self service checkouts and I use about 1 a week.

However, like the stuff they're made from, my stock will be a finite supply.

Another cost of living increase !

I switched to turtle bags years ago.

There was a bit of 'think of the whales' in my decision.

The main factor, however, was the bags of the last 10 years have got thinner + thinner and break after 10 minutes. I have a 20 minute walk from Tescos.

In Wales is it just for food shops ?

I don't know but my assumption would be no. If the govt allowed exemptions the supermarkets would, via lawyers, find thousands of ways to circumvent the charge. After all, they don't just sell food.

Edit: meant for England.

Glad i don't drive.

"For a typical car, the cost in petrol, measured in plastic-bag equivalent, is roughly one plastic bag for every 100 yards travelled. So our shopper, having started the engine and manoeuvred to the exit, will have expended in petrol close to the two plastic bags.

But that is just getting out of the car park. A typical round trip is 12 miles, so the drive to and from the supermarket consumes in petrol the equivalent of 210 plastic bags or so. It is here that our shopper is in a position to make an elective reduction in carbon footprint.

If she drives at 50mph rather than 75mph, there is a 25 per cent reduction in petrol consumption, a saving of 52 plastic bags. Other efficiencies can be obtained by driving without air-conditioning, without a roof rack and with tyres properly inflated and going easy on the accelerator pedal.

The green lobby should forget about plastic bags and concentrate on a worthy target, such as inefficient car travel."

Dr Gerard McCrum, Oxford, Letters to the Editor, The Daily Telegraph - 24.07.07

No and it pisses me off every time I go to Wales. Just like the example with the jumper you gave. Even worse going into a card shop and wanting to buy a birthday card or something you don't get anything to keep the card dry or separate from your other shopping. Daft.

Even worse going into a card shop and wanting to buy a birthday card or something you don't get anything to keep the card dry or separate from your other shopping. Daft.

... but on the other hand, some people use more bags than they need ...

rags.jpg

Glad i don't drive.

"For a typical car, the cost in petrol, measured in plastic-bag equivalent, is roughly one plastic bag for every 100 yards travelled. So our shopper, having started the engine and manoeuvred to the exit, will have expended in petrol close to the two plastic bags.

But that is just getting out of the car park. A typical round trip is 12 miles, so the drive to and from the supermarket consumes in petrol the equivalent of 210 plastic bags or so. It is here that our shopper is in a position to make an elective reduction in carbon footprint.

If she drives at 50mph rather than 75mph, there is a 25 per cent reduction in petrol consumption, a saving of 52 plastic bags. Other efficiencies can be obtained by driving without air-conditioning, without a roof rack and with tyres properly inflated and going easy on the accelerator pedal.

Really? I find that quite hard to believe, they're EVERYWHERE!

Within 5 miles of my house there are these superstores: 2 Tesco, 2 Sainsbury, 1 Morrison, 1 M&S, 2 Asda, 2 Waitrose. Supplemented by convenience store versions of at least: 4 Tesco express, 4 Co-Op, 1 M&S, 2 Waitrose, 2 Sainsbury. There are probably more that I simply haven't noticed. 2 superstores are within a ten minute walk, and 3 of the convenience stores are too. I don't even live in an urban area. 12 miles may not be wildly uncommon, but I find it hard to believe it is anywhere near typical.

As for bag tax: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_shopping_bag#Reduction.2C_reuse_and_recycling

According to the UK's Environment Agency, 76% of British carrier bags are reused.

If they are actually serious about stopping people using plastic bags tax them at £5, not 5p.

Every shop. Yes, as per mortgage b*tch's comment - I got caught out the first couple of times. Now it is no less burdensome than remembering to bring your wallet.

You'd be surprised how much of a deterrent having to pay 5p is for most people compared to free. The vast majority of people I see shopping around here bring their own bags.

Just a reminder to those with small bins who use carrier bags as liners.. You only have 6 months to stock up before they are banned / taxed.

That is all :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/queens-speech/10874480/5p-plastic-bag-tax-announced-in-Queens-Speech.html

I normally order groceries online. I will now specify delivery without bags - that should hold their drivers up and push up the price of delivery. I'm certainly not paying more tax. :ph34r:

I normally order groceries online. I will now specify delivery without bags - that should hold their drivers up and push up the price of delivery. I'm certainly not paying more tax. :ph34r:

We do the same. The driver turns up with the crates, we unload them onto the kitchen floor and then pack away afterwards.

Every shop. Yes, as per mortgage b*tch's comment - I got caught out the first couple of times. Now it is no less burdensome than remembering to bring your wallet.

You'd be surprised how much of a deterrent having to pay 5p is for most people compared to free. The vast majority of people I see shopping around here bring their own bags.

Yep, grew up without them, Mum did the weekly shop in a straw basket catching the bus into town. Milkman daily, grocer's van came by twice a week, Fishmonger Friday. Never short of Uncles.

I'd like to see the widespread use of plastic bags curtailed, along with plastic packaging in general.

I'm just conflicted wrt carrier bags because I like free kitchen refuse bags. Look after the pennies etc....

Plastic is a growing environmental concern especially in the sea, which is where it all ends up.

My current dismay with over packaging was when I bought THIS last week (all their stuff is over-packaged)

If you have a small bin - you could forgo the bag. Just put the rubbish in the bin - when it is full, tip it into the larger bin for the bin man to collect.

This might mean you have to wash the bins more regularly, and you might want to get a bin that doesn't leak out smells.

This is what we do.

We have a small bin too - so there's none of that having a weeks worth of rubbish rotting in it.

Needs a new plastic liner as it's got a crack in the bottom now but can't find one a similar size. Don't want a huge bin and the bathroom ones are too tiny.