House Price Crash Forum

Celia Imrie Condemns 'revolting' Parents Who Demand Grandparents Babysit Their Children

HOLA441

Just thought it was interesting that this article the make no mention of house prices, yet the entire story is about house prices.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11494793/Celia-Imrie-condemns-revolting-parents-who-demand-grandparents-babysit-their-children.html

Celia Imrie, the actress, has launched a spirited defence of "put-upon" grandparents who are exhausting themselves to help their families, condemning "revolting" offspring who demand babysitting and talk about their inheritance.

HOLA442

Just thought it was interesting that this article the make no mention of house prices, yet the entire story is about house prices.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11494793/Celia-Imrie-condemns-revolting-parents-who-demand-grandparents-babysit-their-children.html

It doesn't mention house prices because it's an advert for her book... :rolleyes:

HOLA443
HOLA444

Yes, I read it earlier and couldn't believe how there was no mention of house prices/hefty mortgages so often forcing mothers back to work when at least some of them would much prefer to look after babies and very tiny ones themselves.

My elder is expecting her first in a month, and will have 3 months' leave on full pay, and a further 3 on half pay if she chooses. After that she will have to go back, come what may. She is lucky in having a crèche at work, but it will cost in the region of £1k a month full time. We live an hour and a half's drive away but I have offered to do at least one day a week - go up the night before and take over first thing. She has said she is afraid it would be too tiring, but I can't see that one day would kill me. I would also hope to chuck in some housework and have their dinner ready...

Mind you I can see the other side - I have a friend whose daughter (working irregular and unpredictable hours) expects her mother to undertake major childcare at the drop of a hat and is affronted if there are any objections. My friend works from home - she needs the money - and also has arthritis so she finds running around after toddlers very tiring and painful. Also, once past the baby stage she told me the kids are little b*ggers who will NEVER do as they are told and her daughter gets affronted - again - if she dares to say anything.

HOLA445

The demands placed upon Grandparents are merely a reflection of the demands placed upon the family. Its not like people WANT both partners to have little choice in working full time.

What about the (frequent) demand and pressure by Parents to become Grandparents?

Frankly, any home owning Boomer complaining about THEIR lot in modern Britain can roll up a copy of their Saga catalogue and f*** themself with it.

HOLA446
HOLA447

The demands placed upon Grandparents are merely a reflection of the demands placed upon the family. Its not like people WANT both partners to have little choice in working full time.

What about the (frequent) demand and pressure by Parents to become Grandparents?

Frankly, any home owning Boomer complaining about THEIR lot in modern Britain can roll up a copy of their Saga catalogue and f*** themself with it.

It's interesting because there's been a complete 180 degree shift in the space of a single generation. The experiences of our two generations are so completely opposed that the only rational conclusion a lot of people can reach is that the other is either bonkers or totally unreasonable.

My wife and mother in law recently had a major bust up because MIL spent 30 minutes insisting that women these days only work because they want to, and because they want to have "all these wonderful things", by which I assume she meant iGadgets and 52" plasma screen televisions, rather than you know, like somewhere to live.

Lol at the Saga comment :lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Maybe granny and gramps should stop voting for politicians who pump up house prices, then their children wouldn't need two full time incomes per household to keep a basic roof over their heads.

Can't fault your sentiment here, just remind me which party that would be again?

HOLA4411

My wife and mother in law recently had a major bust up because MIL spent 30 minutes insisting that women these days only work because they want to, and because they want to have "all these wonderful things", by which I assume she meant iGadgets and 52" plasma screen televisions, rather than you know, like somewhere to live.

Lol at the Saga comment :lol:

I don't understand where this type of parent/in law comes from. Every parent I know with anything like grown up children is all too painfully aware of the house price issue, and bending over backwards to help if they can. Mind you we are in a very expensive area where unless you are extraordinarily thick, or take no interest in anything but e.g. trash TV/celebs/football, you can hardly help being aware.

HOLA4412

As ever, without data we only have anecdote to go on.

I dare say there is a hated boomer type who despite (or perhaps because of) has enjoyed a life of privilege and high house prices - and is now rather disgruntled at being asked to help with child care when they'd rather be swanning off on a Saga holiday.

Equally, I reckon there are other boomers who are squeezed by both the demands of their children wanting free childcare, and their elderly parents needing help - and are still working too.

I think I would also find it rather galling that any child of mine was keeping an eye on my spending to maximise their inheritance. Clearly, a middle class problem though - I expect to gain nothing, and leave nothing.

Imrie is obviously writing a book that'll appeal to privileged boomer types. It's a free world, any GenX/GenYer is free to write a novel that'll tell the opposite story - assuming of course, they can take a break from work and get the grandparents to look after the kids.

HOLA4413

Maybe granny and gramps should stop voting for politicians who pump up house prices, then their children wouldn't need two full time incomes per household to keep a basic roof over their heads.

Maybe granny and gramps would, if there was a politican who promises to keep house prices down, and kept his promises after being elected. I don't see any candidate.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4414

My pre-boomer mum keeps asking about "child minding" my kid. "It'll give you a break bla bla bla", I don't need a break actually, we didn't have kids to "need a break", thanks.

What she really wants is someone young and exploitable to do chores for her around the house. Her last scheme was to get the nipper to pick up windfalls from her garden.

Archived