House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Driverless Cars To Create 320,000 Jobs Report Claims

Yes but .... without lorry drivers, the population of prossies will boom and there'll be an hooker on every corner.

I do like these made up surveys.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/taxi-statistics

Latest taxi statistics

At end March 2013, there were:

• an estimated 78 thousand taxis and 153 thousand licensed private hire vehicles (PHVs) in England and Wales, a total of 231 thousand vehicles
  • an estimated 58% of licensed taxis were wheelchair accessible (100% in London)
  • 297 thousand taxi or PHV driver licenses in England and Wales

Yes but .... without lorry drivers, the population of prossies will boom and there'll be an hooker on every corner.

Why?

Meanwhile of course this report isn't counting the loss of all the taxi, bus and lorry driver jobs. And I'm surprised at the 2,500 (per year?) figure as I thought the current fatality rate was less than that; even if it isn't, they're saying DCs will eliminate 90% of road deaths, which is well worth aiming at without any added economic benefit.

Mods, consider merging this nascent thread with the main big Google DC thread on off-topic.

What a joke report. The "saving of 2500" lives assumes we'll all but abandon manual driving. IF so, what about all the jobs associated with manual driving? There's surely more than 320,000 jobs lost i.e. net loss of jobs.

I read somewhere that transport (i.e. people driving) was the single biggest employment sector in the US. I assume the same would be the case for the UK?

So, yes, we would eliminate the largest section of the working population's jobs.

Anyway, works for me, can't stand taxi drivers tuk tuk drivers or truck drivers - and don't get me on the subject of bus drivers!

What a joke report. The "saving of 2500" lives assumes we'll all but abandon manual driving. IF so, what about all the jobs associated with manual driving? There's surely more than 320,000 jobs lost i.e. net loss of jobs.

Your second point was already made in the post above yours ;)

Re. your first, the prospect of such a great saving of lives is a very powerful incentive to reduce and even eliminate manual driving, don't you think?

Not for bus, taxi and other professional drivers. You can imagine the rental car firms being interested in driverless for taxi-style rentals.

Massive job losses will be the result.

Reduced no. of commercial drivers.

Reduced deaths

Reduced accidents.

Less repairs, spares, maintenance. A

Possbily less new sales as cars will last longer and probably lose a lot of novelty value or fun driving factor.

Surely the big German, Japanese and US car manufacturers will just buy out any British companies that look as if they have potential as is what happens with 100% of our industry except finance.

Massive job losses will be the result.

Reduced no. of commercial drivers.

Reduced deaths

Reduced accidents.

Less repairs, spares, maintenance. A

Possbily less new sales as cars will last longer and probably lose a lot of novelty value or fun driving factor.

Choice is a good thing.

Some people like to use a cash machine and self-scan supermarket checkouts. Others prefer to deal with human beings. Business models vary accordingly. i.e. Tesco implement lots of expensive tech - people move to Aldi. Banks centralise and shut tons of branches - they go bust & so on.

Edited by R K

Re. your first, the prospect of such a great saving of lives is a very powerful incentive to reduce and even eliminate manual driving, don't you think?

It's not a great saving of lives. With such huge numbers of people around even a very small risk can produce scary-looking numbers, making something seem far more dangerous than it is.

I'd rather have the risk than yet more freedom taken away and more rules and regulations about what you can and cannot do. There's already far, far too much "you can't be trusted, you can only exist on sufferance."

Choice is a good thing.

Some people like to use a cash machine and self-scan supermarket checkouts. Others prefer to deal with human beings. Business models vary accordingly. i.e. Tesco implement lots of expensive tech - people move to Aldi. Banks centralise and shut tons of branches - they go bust & so on.

Not in the modern world they don't. The selected companies get to carrry on funded by the taxpayer, think scrappage schemes for the car industry, TARP SLS and all the other financial shit.

My comment was generaly one about the jobs thogh, choice is a good thing, but don;t couch it it a flood of lies. We were sold that in regards globalisation - a heck of a lie that was in regards jobs.

Itll come to lorrys first, a robot lorry will be able to work 247 and never need to take breaks even if the system costs 100k itll still have paid for itself in a year. Robot Lorries go first from depot to depot too on main routes then as systems improve branch out..

then buses although I think like aeroplanes and trains they might keep a person just in case even although they can easily automated.

WIth cloud sharing of routes and information the safety and skill of the robots will increase at an astonishing rate, instantly every robot in the UK will know about that iffy pothole and old tyre onthe a52.

What about traffic cops too? speed cameras. Where do manual drivers fit in? most accidents are human error will it become impossible to insure them.

Make no mistake this is coming its just a case of when. You have all seen it work it creeps in then all of a sudden im telling my grand kids of a time when we used to drive cars and the entire concept willseem positively archaic.

If nobody is "allowed" (according to your rules) to make the same point as someone else in a thread, then it also stands to reason that nobody is "allowed" to rebut the same point more than once, as you have done. Oh...nearly forgot: ;)

Edited by canbuywontbuy

You wouldn't even need to own a car - you just hop in the next available driverless one with your Oyster Card. No parking or maintenance or MOTs needed. It's the cheaper option. The auto industry would all but vanish as people realise it's much cheaper to use a driverless car than own a manual one.

Has anyone actually explained how driverless cars work with non-driverless cars?

If I race along on the motorway, changing lanes apparently randomly etc etc at speed, how do the driverless cars interact?

it's much cheaper to use a driverless car than own a manual one.

Yes, but completely soulless, and taking away a really fun bit of life (i.e. driving a fast, sporty, manual car).

Has anyone actually explained how driverless cars work with non-driverless cars?

If I race along on the motorway, changing lanes apparently randomly etc etc at speed, how do the driverless cars interact?

all the cars are linked via cloud servers so they all know where each other are and can track and warn other cars of you, they can predict potential behaviors and responses based on past situations. They will know what your going to do before you do and will action accordingly.

I will also bet they will video you and send it to the cops, our glorious state would love that.

an audi just beat a pro race driver on a track, another audi just crossed a large part of the US by itself and if you go to you tube you can watch robot cars deal with things like irrational cyclists.

These things will get smarter quicker than you can imagine. All the cars will share and all with each other like a swarm. In theory there should never be another traffic jam again. I dont think a lot of people realise how smart these systems will get.

This will be for transport and driving should become something you do for pleasure.

You wouldn't even need to own a car - you just hop in the next available driverless one with your Oyster Card. No parking or maintenance or MOTs needed. It's the cheaper option. The auto industry would all but vanish as people realise it's much cheaper to use a driverless car than own a manual one.

Why wouldnt driverless cars require maintenance or MOTs and why wouldnt that cost be passed onto customers?

Why wouldnt driverless cars require maintenance or MOTs and why wouldnt that cost be passed onto customers?

One reason is their electric power source. Requires very minimal maintenance compared to a standard petrol/diesel car.

how do human drivers react?

all the cars are linked via cloud servers so they all know where each other are and can track and warn other cars of you, they can predict potential behaviors and responses based on past situations. They will know what your going to do before you do and will action accordingly.

I will also bet they will video you and send it to the cops, our glorious state would love that.

an audi just beat a pro race driver on a track, another audi just crossed a large part of the US by itself and if you go to you tube you can watch robot cars deal with things like irrational cyclists.

These things will get smarter quicker than you can imagine. All the cars will share and all with each other like a swarm. In theory there should never be another traffic jam again. I dont think a lot of people realise how smart these systems will get.

This will be for transport and driving should become something you do for pleasure.

None of this sounds like a world that I would want to be a part of, or live in.