House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

X-Files To Return

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32035562

Cult sci-fi show The X-Files is to return to TV after a 13-year hiatus.

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will reprise their roles as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully for the six-part series.

Original creator Chris Carter will be at the helm when production starts this summer.

Wow.

The best TV series ever made IMO.

It was great for a early to mid 1990s television show, but like Lost after the 3rd or 4th season, it got flogged to death and had a background story that got drawn out, too convoluted.

It was great for a early to mid 1990s television show, but like Lost after the 3rd or 4th season, it got flogged to death and had a background story that got drawn out, too convoluted.

Exactly.

I was watching it in the '90s when it was first aired but after the 3rd or 4th season I lost interest as it had become to formulaic and repetitive.

"Mmm. I'm going to have to go ahead and.. disagree with you there.." (Lumbergh, Office Space)

The loss of the main characters was a blow to the show. It was very much Mulder and Scully.

However I thought Robert Patrick was very credible. We had the benefit of seeing the entire show all the way through having bought the box set, and a fair number of the later episodes were dynamite. For example the birth of Scully's child (parallel with Jesus).

Admittedly, many of those were the ones with the characters we knew. It did run for a long time. But the underlying theme of aliens was resolved in the end, and extremely well done. The show ended with a great deal of dignity.

It's the consistent quality of the series that makes me say "best ever". One of the key writers was also behind possibly the tied-in-second-place best ever series ever made, "Breaking Bad".

Very pleased to see it back. There are plenty of new conspiracies it could tap into nowadays, of course. Some of which are even true.

I enjoyed it a lot for 4 seasons, but stopped having a TV around the fifth. Need to rewatch the boxset. Trouble is the early stories are so familiar, as I used to watch them over and over again on VHS - that I can still nearly repeat the lines of some early episodes word for word.

The other problem was that it was clear that alien mythology stuff was not properly planned, and it seemed to dominate from season 4 onwards. I much preferred the standalone episodes.

Excellent example of 90s TV, but it'll have to up its game a bit to compete nowadays.

Very pleased to see it back. There are plenty of new conspiracies it could tap into nowadays, of course. Some of which are even true.

I enjoyed it a lot for 4 seasons, but stopped having a TV around the fifth. Need to rewatch the boxset. Trouble is the early stories are so familiar, as I used to watch them over and over again on VHS - that I can still nearly repeat the lines of some early episodes word for word.

The other problem was that it was clear that alien mythology stuff was not properly planned, and it seemed to dominate from season 4 onwards. I much preferred the standalone episodes.

Excellent example of 90s TV, but it'll have to up its game a bit to compete nowadays.

While that's generally true some of the very best one off episodes were in seasons 5 and 6 namely

Detour

The Post-Modern Prometheus

Bad Blood

Drive

Dreamland (I & II)

The Rain King

Arcadia

The Unnatural

Although all the very best episodes are by Darin Morgan in series 3.

I would say bringing it back is a mistake, but it's not like they will destroy their legacy, lost it's way in 9 and 10, still some good stuff in there and I do agree that Robert Patrick was excellent, but it just wasn't X-Files with him in it.

Great to see it back, hope it works. But do Fox take any risks ?

But the bar has been raised greatly with The Wire & Breaking Bad. Humour was always good in X-F but Curb has raised bar in that area.

I recently watched the follow up, "The Lone Gunman on YT, but found it poor.

Imo, The original Twilight Zone was the greatest sci-fi tv series, the social messages Serling got threough in a time of censorship were amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbDuO2fydbU

My Budgie used to go berserk when the X-Files theme tune played on the telly. She fecking loved it.

The theme tune sounded like an owl hooting.

My guess is your budgie was scared shitless that a giant predator was going to swoop down and rip its head off.

Great show originally.

I wish they'd just give us blu ray versions of the original series.

Not sure I want to watch an old Mulder and Scully trying to bring back the magic.

See, none of you are taking this seriously but it's a genuine X-File, standards are rising not dropping:

Younger:

Gillian-gillian-anderson-2639573-296-537

Older:

gillian-gillian-anderson-3824273-600-902

Guest eight

How Gillian Anderson gets hotter and hotter, as she gets older, is one X-file they could look into.

No mystery - it's just that she's getting frequent good seeing-to's, with multiple partners. That's my guess anyway.