House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Orange

So Ebay, Yeah, Why...

Why are they so slow and convoluted in delivery? I ordered an item that should've been delivered late last week and I'm starting to wonder if they messed up in mail transit or the delivery man was an unreliable tosser. You can say a lot of things about Amazon, but at least they're efficient and less convoluted with their deliveries...

You do realise that ebay don't handle any goods whatsoever. When you buy something it's from somebody with no connection to them whatsoever other than using it as a selling platform.

When I order from a third party seller via Amazon, the item is always indicated as "in stock".

The item is marked as despatched within 24 hours and payment is taken.

If the thing isn't here in four working days, then I send an email along the lines of "As the item was despatched on dd/mm/yyyy and four days have now elapsed, clearly, there must be a problem and the item has been lost in the post. How soon can you have another one with me?"

And generally one arrives the next day.

And only one arrives. Make of that what you will.

Call them out on it ;)

Why are they so slow and convoluted in delivery? I ordered an item that should've been delivered late last week and I'm starting to wonder if they messed up in mail transit or the delivery man was an unreliable tosser. You can say a lot of things about Amazon, but at least they're efficient and less convoluted with their deliveries...

Generally, but I am quite sure eBay does fulfilment for some (chinese supplying to the UK) customers

It isn't publicised, but there are enough indicators that is indeed taking place

Generally, but I am quite sure eBay does fulfilment for some (chinese supplying to the UK) customers

It isn't publicised, but there are enough indicators that is indeed taking place

Nah, why would they when they can coin it by doing F-all?

Order a small, low-cost, item from Amazon, and chances are it'll appear with a Chinese post mark on it. Even some larger items are being shipped without CE marks etc.

Unless you pay for guaranteed nextday delivery, with one of the better couriers like DPD, nothing else is consistently reliable,

Order a small, low-cost, item from Amazon, and chances are it'll appear with a Chinese post mark on it. Even some larger items are being shipped without CE marks etc.

LCI was taking about orders for eBay, plenty of stuff on Amazon is from third party sellers, many of course based in China. While it's clearly stated when ordering stuff on Amazon that you are purchasing from a third party it's all dealt with under the same umbrella, same checkout, same postage systems and so on.

With ebay everything is treated individually, even though most might accept PayPal so it seems like it's the same process, you are in fact dealing with the third party "directly" when it comes to payment and postage arrangements.

The other thing with ebay is often you are dealing directly with joe public, such as myself. If somebody purchases a relatively high priced item I'll make sure I communicate well and get to the post office the next day, if it's a bit of tat you paid peanuts for and I'm barely covering the postage then I'll get down there when it convenient to me, could be next day, might be next week if it's raining or I have something else going on at lunch time.

Nah, why would they when they can coin it by doing F-all?

they have the warehouses in the UK, they acquired GSI commerce (fulfilment co) and it is surely a good earner and gives eBay options for the future, that is why

Ebay don't deliver the item. Royal Mail and a selection of couriers do.

I sent something, sold on Amazon, on the 11th and it only reached my customer yesterday. It left us the day she purchased so we're at the mercy of RM.

I've started buying stuff from banggood.com it takes weeks to arrive but is cheap as chips. European manufacturers dropped a bollock teaching the Chinese how to make all their stuff and then expecting me to still buy via them at European prices. As an example;

This: http://www.banggood.com/EDC-Tool-Mini-Clip-Flashlight-Clip-Money-Cash-Holder-Key-Chain-Clip-p-963844.html

And this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TEC-Accessories-Suspension-P-7-single/dp/B00KRHT0JS/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1427228564&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=tec+clip

A full cost of 93p delivered from China, or £11.40 + £2.99 delivery to buy from amazon.

they have the warehouses in the UK, they acquired GSI commerce (fulfilment co) and it is surely a good earner and gives eBay options for the future, that is why

I'm surprised, but I take your word for it.

A full cost of 93p delivered from China, or £11.40 + £2.99 delivery to buy from amazon.

The Chinese one is a fake and will fall apart within 3 days...

(is the stock response)

Edit to add: I have no idea what I'll use them for, but I just bought two! Thanks for the link to that site, never head of it before.

The last time I perused the tool and gadget offerings on there I seem to think a lot of them were cheaper on ebay from Chinese sellers.

I've gone a bit cold turkey on buying every varying design of EDC small pry bar/tool I lay my eyes on after coming to the conclusion I just don't ever use them really.

The cheap chinese versions are useful to experiment whether you would use it often before going for a better quality version.

Although even the branded items of choice have problems these days as I found last week

leatherman super tool.jpg

http://www.leatherman-store.co.uk/multi-tools-c27/super-tool-300-multi-tool-stainless-steel-p460

The Leatherman Super Tool 300 is the multi tool for the working man. Larger pliers are the strongest we've ever produced and the sloped top handle design means you can manoeuver them further into tight spaces. When you're working with gloves on, the large side cut outs make it easy to still grab components and rolled handles make for a comfortable grip. Stranded, hard and regular wire cutters all come standard on Super Tool 300, and because they're removable you can repair or re sharpen on the spot with the tool's file. 19 tools all ready for your toughest jobs. Super Tool 300 is back from vacation and ready to get to work.

This was in fact a warranty replacement for the Leatherman Core, the accessory locking tab broke on, which was out of production. I preferred the Core but luckily was able to get hold of a new old stock in the US. Core is probably my top pick for robust use if you accept you're going to carry a weighty tool.

http://www.leatherman.co.uk/product/Core

post-17575-0-60657100-1427287745_thumb.jpg

Edit to add: I have no idea what I'll use them for, but I just bought two! Thanks for the link to that site, never head of it before.

They look like they'd be useful in an office environment for keeping sheets of A4 tidily clipped together

They look like they'd be useful in an office environment for keeping sheets of A4 tidily clipped together

Clip them to your belt in large numbers, with other similar items, to ward off attractive women and people making small talk about populist things like the 'footie'.

In fairness they do seem to have nailed the art of continuously proffering irresistibly low priced man drawer fillers

http://www.banggood.com/30Kg-66_1Lbs-Toggle-Clamp-Metal-U-Bar-Vertical-Type-Hand-Clamp-p-961020.html

No immediate use but I'd certainly rather be in the position of comfortable knowledge I've got half a dozen in a drawer somewhere than not.

Clip them to your belt in large numbers, with other similar items, to ward off attractive women and people making small talk about populist things like the 'footie'.

In fairness they do seem to have nailed the art of continuously proffering irresistibly low priced man drawer fillers

http://www.banggood.com/30Kg-66_1Lbs-Toggle-Clamp-Metal-U-Bar-Vertical-Type-Hand-Clamp-p-961020.html

No immediate use but I'd certainly rather be in the position of comfortable knowledge I've got half a dozen in a drawer somewhere than not.

:lol: No room on my belt, what with all the multitools, torches and my trusty pump action hand sanitiser dispenser.

Yes, lots of things that look very good value and might come in very handy one day, probably.

• MIssing nutsBy:rolaf 2015-01-23 03:47:44
  • Got 6 of these in the mail earlier this week, but as Yoshyz, I'm missing some nuts for a complete assembly. The little plastic bags that the clamps came in are not sealed, and the nuts are not screwed on the threaded rod - so they escaped! I found a few in the shipping bag, but I'm still missing 6. Banggood, please make sure the bags are properly sealed, and not made of brittle cellophane!

^ From the feedback

Well, if you haven't got treble figures of jars full of random sized nuts and bolts, secreted round the place, to eagerly sift through in exactly this kind of scenario then, frankly, 'rolaf' this type of stuff's not for you.

As I don't yet own any drawers I suppose I could clip my socks to my belt.

The Chinese one is a fake and will fall apart within 3 days...

(is the stock response)

The beauty of stuff like this is that a fake folded over piece of metal is still a folded over piece of metal that does all the stuff a folded over piece of metal does.

The last time I perused the tool and gadget offerings on there I seem to think a lot of them were cheaper on ebay from Chinese sellers.

I've gone a bit cold turkey on buying every varying design of EDC small pry bar/tool I lay my eyes on after coming to the conclusion I just don't ever use them really.

The cheap chinese versions are useful to experiment whether you would use it often before going for a better quality version.

Although even the branded items of choice have problems these days as I found last week

attachicon.gifleatherman super tool.jpg

http://www.leatherman-store.co.uk/multi-tools-c27/super-tool-300-multi-tool-stainless-steel-p460

This was in fact a warranty replacement for the Leatherman Core, the accessory locking tab broke on, which was out of production. I preferred the Core but luckily was able to get hold of a new old stock in the US. Core is probably my top pick for robust use if you accept you're going to carry a weighty tool.

http://www.leatherman.co.uk/product/Core

I bought a Gerber MP clone (MUT model) from them the other day. £6 something delivered. I've got a proper MP (special bladeless model) on order from the states that's already cost me £50 and I haven't even paid the import duty yet. I'll be interested to see what the quality difference is when I get the proper one.