House Price Crash Forum

C P I Is 0.0%

R K

HOLA441

Dosn't this mean we can expect measures to get inflation back up to 2% ?

We could do with a bit of deflation to get back on target 9.75 years after CPI's inception at 100 in May 2005.

Had the chumps followed the target this past decade we would be at 121.3 not 127.4.

Deflation bring it on.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Dosn't this mean we can expect measures to get inflation back up to 2% ?

Yes we probably should but as there is a general election in two months' time I wouldn't hold your breath just yet. And anyway the real secret is that deflation can be good for the masses (if not the Tory donors rich):

K4XIwN9.png

[Disclaimer: I do not read the Daily Mail]

Edited by LandOfConfusion

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Take people's largest ever purchase out of the figures and ta da. Inflation falls to zero and house prices are pumped to the moon.

Surely CPI at present will be a force in wage negotiations and follow through to wage rise curtailment, This will affect lending values when used in MMR calculations.

Edited by awaytogo

HOLA4411

How much worse off are we cumulatively over the last decade? Wages and savings interest have been behind CPI for a long time.

What is house price inflation running at? It's meaningless to say that computers and sofas are cheaper when a roof over my head is still out of reach.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

David Cameron @David_Cameron 2h2 hours ago

Inflation is running at 0% - the lowest on record. It's good news for family budgets and a sign our long term plan is working.

? - So why have you told BoE to target 2%?

To sustain debt repayments???

It will be interesting to see how this impacts govt tax revenues especially if we have price deflation, the VAT intake is going to decline.

HOLA4414

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32033926

So the driver of falling inflation looks to be the strength of sterling, especially against the weakening euro - which is reducing the cost of imports.

The important point is that, for now at least, the fall in the price of food, games, petrol and energy, if it persists for a few months, is good news for most of us - because it increases our spending power and our pounds go further. In other words we feel and are a bit richer.

Peston stating it's the strength of the pound...

HOLA4415

How much worse off are we cumulatively over the last decade? Wages and savings interest have been behind CPI for a long time.

What is house price inflation running at? It's meaningless to say that computers and sofas are cheaper when a roof over my head is still out of reach.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32032561

ONS: UK House prices fall 0.2% in January

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Interesting that index linked gilts have risen after the announcement of the relevant inflation figure - RPI at 1.0%.

This suggests that the markets were expecting a lower RPI figure, and/or further downwards pressure on interest rates.

Edited by The Spaniard

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Yes we probably should but as there is a general election in two months' time I wouldn't hold your breath just yet. And anyway the real secret is that deflation can be good for the masses (if not the Tory donors rich):

K4XIwN9.png

[Disclaimer: I do not read the Daily Mail]

There are a lot of possible jokes from that article.

Some cheap jokes as well but I guess that would be bad.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4424
HOLA4425