House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
a j

London Renting - General Rant

Had an annoying discussion with my landlord today who is trying to charge me for some repairs which are either due to ageing bits and pieces or, if they were damage, should be discounted for age. I'd had a long day and refused - now the threat is to not renew my tenancy. The money involved was not huge (around £80) but I was pretty peeved about it - now wondering how dumb I have been.

Anyway, perhaps someone has experience or advice. I'm coming to the end of a fixed term contract so am pretty worried about finding somewhere else without permanent employment (although I am fortunate enough to have money in the bank). How much of a problem is it?

Rental prices at the lower end for OK areas (for example non tube linked zone 4 - such as Palmers Green, Enfield or zone 4 central line in East London) seem increasingly crazy - basically no one beds at less than £1000 per month and studios not a lot better. The movement of housing benefit recipients out of more central areas has really knocked up rentals.

Even looking on Easyroomate there doesn't seem as much going as there was when I last looked 4 years ago, and at much higher prices. All the 'cheaper - might have to do' options for buying have flown up in price - often 30% in the last 15 months (no doubt from people desperate at the rental prices.....)

Does anyone have any advice, or at least hopes for a fall in prices? I'm not looking forward to looking for work without anywhere to live.

I suspect the landlord is bluffing. If he hasn't served you with a Section 21 notice then he's not serious about getting you out. If he does then you'll have at least 2 months notice to find somewhere else. The day following the end of the fixed term you will be on a Statutory Periodic Tenancy which continues indefinitely. You don't need to sign another contract.

I suspect the landlord is bluffing. If he hasn't served you with a Section 21 notice then he's not serious about getting you out. If he does then you'll have at least 2 months notice to find somewhere else. The day following the end of the fixed term you will be on a Statutory Periodic Tenancy which continues indefinitely. You don't need to sign another contract.

I agree, seems quite trivial for the LL to be asking for £80 if you are an otherwise good tenant who always pays their rent on time. Likely he was just trying it on, like so many LL's do! As mentioned, you don't need to sign a new contract, you will have the same rights (ie, 2 months to move out, etc). How much are you paying in rent compared to the other options in the area you are living in?

So he wants you to pay rent and to pay for upkeep of his property? What an ****! You were right to stand your ground and just to second what's already been said. There is no need to sign a new AST.

I work a series of fixed-term contracts, usually between six and twelve months duration, and I've never had any difficulty renting both in and out of London. I always have a copy of my current contract and letters from previous employers confirming my employment history to hand to show the LA. Offering to pay several months rent up front isn't much help in my experience.

The movement of housing benefit recipients out of more central areas has really knocked up rentals.

That's interesting as we're being told time and time again that stuff like the benefit cap. raising of the age for the shared room rate etc would have the opposite effect.

To continue to poker metaphor, I would refer you to Kenny Rogers: you gotta know when to hold'em know when to fold'em. Are you currently paying below market rent? The unfortunate truth is that in the current market the landlord may have a much better hand than you. Trying to overplay yours could just lead to a lot of expensive grief.