House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Offering Below Asking Price On Newbuilds

Just a question - why don't people feel that they can offer less than asking price for newbuilds? This was usually my experience when I was an EA - was speaking to an EA in Bristol at the weekend and sure enough, he told me that "people don't feel they can offer below asking on newbuilds." Totally barmy or what!

Have any HPCers tried offering below asking price on newbuilds recently? How much luck did you have?

Just a question - why don't people feel that they can offer less than asking price for newbuilds? This was usually my experience when I was an EA - was speaking to an EA in Bristol at the weekend and sure enough, he told me that "people don't feel they can offer below asking on newbuilds." Totally barmy or what!

Have any HPCers tried offering below asking price on newbuilds recently? How much luck did you have?

Got to 285K on a 320K asking price earlier this year ... newbuild luxury flat in Wimbledon

Pulled out without a quibble 10 minutes after finding HPC.co.uk :D

I'm waiting for a couple of years and then going to auction for said newbuilds.....why bother with BMV when you'll get a repo with no reserve in a couple of years.

the banks don't lose,they'll chase after the vendor for the rest in a few years.

Someone I know paid 280k for a new Barratt house a while ago - knocked them down from 330k.

I have posted this elsewhere a few times - went into show flat a few weeks ago near station in Crowthorne. On at 230k - woman there offered them for 200k even before I had asked. What could you get one for if you were serious - 180k?

Other flats near me are not being sold - the developer must be renting them out because they are not appearing on the Land Registry figures.

Someone I know paid 280k for a new Barratt house a while ago - knocked them down from 330k.

I have posted this elsewhere a few times - went into show flat a few weeks ago near station in Crowthorne. On at 230k - woman there offered them for 200k even before I had asked. What could you get one for if you were serious - 180k?

Other flats near me are not being sold - the developer must be renting them out because they are not appearing on the Land Registry figures.

Mum went not-very-seriously looking at some newbuilds a couple of weekends ago, 180K (converting $A at 40p) quoted for a 4-bedroom + ensuite detached. The agent offered 10% off more or less immediately. Reckon a good negotiator could get one for 150-155.

I looked at an Urban Splash property in manchester.

I liked what i saw, but not the price.

I told the agent what i thought. She asked me what i would pay.

I told her that she would not like my offer. I said, probably at least a 20% discount to

what she was asking. She said I should make an offer, even with a large discount,

because "prices her are negotiable." I didnt bother, but was curious how she would

react to a 20% discount offer

Land reg prices are lies BTW, since they are based upon official contract prices,

and ignore rebates

Urban Splash offering discounts in Manchester. Very Interesting, since they have tons more to come over the next 2-3 years.

Once in a while I email ridiculously low offers on developments that are having difficulties to sell. So far, I have never had a response.

I once offered an EA 220k on an asking price of £286 for a newbuilt in Aldgate which had not sold for over 12 months. She refused to pass it on saying the developers were not taking any offers. The place still has not sold most flats and they have now converted some of the 2-beds into one beds.

i hear about this, but a friend traded up to a snazzy newbuild estate of high prices and as he moved in the agent was about, so i asked her how it was selling and they were all sold.

These are EA lies. I have been told countless times by EAs and sales offices that almost all flats have sold, but the sales never appeared on the Land Registry. They are just lying. It's the oldest trick in the salesman's book.

Once in a while I email ridiculously low offers on developments that are having difficulties to sell. [bubble Pricker]

Surely you mean you email sensible offers on ridiculously overpriced developments that are having difficulties to sell?

i hear about this, but a friend traded up to a snazzy newbuild estate of high prices and as he moved in the agent was about, so i asked her how it was selling and they were all sold. [RFD]

Even if true, chances are they would have been bought by a BTL syndicate or individual 'investors'. In my book the only genuine sales in today's market are to people buying a property to live in as a home -- anything else is just speculative froth.

I checked out some new build homes last November. They were offering 10% discounts plus the usual carpets, and legal fees thrown in.

I hoped that they would drop a little more than 10% but they wouldn't even talk about it because they'd shifted so many over the weekend.

There were only 2 left (although another phase is being built now) but they would probably have sold during that weekend on the basis that new build houses are rare as rocking horse s*t in my town.All NB's are multi storey apartments, but they are still selling but I couldn't tell you at what price.

FYI, the development I checked out is Langleywoods in Berkshire.

These are EA lies. I have been told countless times by EAs and sales offices that almost all flats have sold, but the sales never appeared on the Land Registry. They are just lying. It's the oldest trick in the salesman's book.

Not true mate, takes ages to appear on LR. my mate bought sept 10th, still not on LR.

Also if someone buys off-plan with a deposit the EA wil tell you it is sold although it may not complete for three years and not appear on LR for another 6 months.

Not true mate, takes ages to appear on LR. my mate bought sept 10th, still not on LR.

Also if someone buys off-plan with a deposit the EA wil tell you it is sold although it may not complete for three years and not appear on LR for another 6 months.

I don't how what the precedure for land registry adding details of propert sales, but it does differ from one property to the next.

I often check out sold prices on my street, and one that sold in September still hasn't been addes - whereas, my property seemed to appear within a month of me exchanging!