House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob1984

Bristol Area

We have lived in Sydney, Australia for the last 5 years and have decided to make the move back to the UK towards the end of the year.

We are currently looking at areas around Bristol,

obviously there are some very high prices out there! One area that does seem cheaper than a lot of others is Shepton Mallet, does anyone know why as we love the countryside around that area?

Is the commute to Bristol doable in the rush hour, any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

I grew up in Bristol and having lived in Sydney you might find a move to Shepton Mallet a little quiet! Unless you like dreary pubs and banger racing.

Not much there to keep you entertained but nice surrounding countryside. Living there and commuting to Bristol would be an endurance test but if you don't mind that then other areas to consider are Mendips (beautiful) Glastonbury (again a commute but loads going on and students help keep it lively, plus friendly locals), Chew Magna (expensive) or across the border in Chepstow where you get a lot more for your money.

I have friends who commute from South Devon and even Bude in Cornwall to Bristol each day and whilst it is slowly killing them I do envy them on the weekends waking up to a nice surfing beach every Saturday morning.

We have lived in Sydney, Australia for the last 5 years and have decided to make the move back to the UK towards the end of the year.

We are currently looking at areas around Bristol,

obviously there are some very high prices out there! One area that does seem cheaper than a lot of others is Shepton Mallet, does anyone know why as we love the countryside around that area?

Is the commute to Bristol doable in the rush hour, any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

I commute routinely to Bristol from near Wells and I would consider Shepton Mallet too far. That it is too far to some extend explains why it is cheaper...

The commute from Shepton Mallet might look OK on the map, but the A37 into Bristol is a road that is both nasty to drive and often gridlocked. This makes that road very unpredictable. I for example never take the A37 despite it being shorter. I think the same applies to my colleagues who live in Wells itself.

However one thing to keep in mind is that big parts of Bristol are now "residence" parking, ie it is completely impossible to park anywhere except in the expensive multistore carparks of which there are very few. You will have to take this into account in your planning! That insane policy has on an average day added about half an hour on top of the two hours I did + a lot of frustration to my commute.

ps) feel free to drop me a pm if you want more concrete info.

I have friends who commute from South Devon and even Bude in Cornwall to Bristol each day and whilst it is slowly killing them I do envy them on the weekends waking up to a nice surfing beach every Saturday morning.

One of my colleagues also does a daily Cornwall-Bristol commute; utterly insane but he is able to work during the train-journey which appears to work for him.

Edited by moesasji

I should add Bristol is like many other major cities in the UK in terms of good or bad areas. There are good areas and bad areas very closely intertwined. I have seen people buy houses in 'nice' areas only to find they are on the wrong street and vise versa in not so nice areas. As such I would highly recommend renting somewhere first see it as an investment in eventually finding the right house. A commute from Shepton Mallet would be very tough every day.

Why Bristol?  It has always seemed a busy, slightly down at heel place with poor air quality in many parts.  There are a few posh areas but they are very expensive.  Traffic is very bad so would I consider somewhere commutable by train if it must be Bristol.  As you can tell, I am not a fan of Bristol.

Disagree about air quality unless you live on a busy route or by the M32. So much countryside around and the atlantic weather blowing away the worst of any smog.

Certainly not down at heel either. So many festivals and events going on. New arena being built. Down at heel would be Bradford or Hull.

But it is way over-priced. Even the areas that you'd only live if the council forced you are expensive. No value whatsoever except maybe for flats, due to over building in some parts.

Looking at the BS3 postcode and things are flying fast. Quite disheartening. The news that we are on the brink of collapse is not in people's mind.

On 10/23/2017 at 8:35 AM, ExiledMatty said:

Forget BS3. Full of chavs and liberals. Both should be avoided.

Better still avoid Bristol.

:lol:   I used to love Bristol, I've lived here most of my life, but I agree with most of the comments. Traffic congestion is a nightmare now, I live on the outskirts and I rarely brave going into Bristol centre any more, it's just not worth the stress. It's become very boring too IMO, along with many other city centres, all the interesting independent stores have gone and it's just another place for the zombies to pass through. Where I live property prices stay higher, lots of demand for excellent local schools (by UK standards anyway). 

I also used to live in Bristol, Clifton to be exact, and I do miss the place, and the buzz around Whitelasies Road, and the Downs...however the last time I was there I noted that the 20mph zone had expanded like a cancer virtually to the edge of the city.

On 7/9/2017 at 4:28 PM, dougless said:

Why Bristol?  It has always seemed a busy, slightly down at heel place with poor air quality in many parts.  There are a few posh areas but they are very expensive.  Traffic is very bad so would I consider somewhere commutable by train if it must be Bristol.  As you can tell, I am not a fan of Bristol.

In many ways Bristol is like London. Politically very left wing, lots of crime, very expensive housing, very congested and polluted but lots going on. Some fantastic old housing stock in places like Clifton and Brislington, but very pricey.

Unlike London, the Council Tax is also sky high.

Keep an eye on the Severn Bridge tolls as if/when these become free, lots of other options may come into play.