House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Russia's New Supersonic Bomber Can Outrun Britain's Best Fighter Jet...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3005961/Russia-s-new-supersonic-bomber-outrun-Britain-s-best-fighter-jet.html

• Russian President Putin is about to unleash a new supersonic bomber
  • The Blackjack will be able to outrun the RAF's fastest fighter jets
  • Last month Russian Bear aircraft were spotted on sorties near Cornwall
  • But Blackjack is three times faster than the Bear and can fly four times further than the fighters that make up UK's Quick Reaction Alert squadrons
  • The Russian aircraft has a range of 7,600 miles without refuelling
  • Russian President Vladimir Putin is ready to unleash a supersonic bomber towards Britain which can outrun the Royal Air Force’s fastest fighter jets.

The introduction of the Blackjack follows sorties by other Russian aircraft near Cornwall last month which disrupted commercial flights and sparked major security fears.

On that occasion, RAF pilots flying Typhoon jets easily caught up with two propeller-driven Bear bombers and directed their crews away from UK airspace.

Great headline, apart from the fact the TU160 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-160has been in service since the 1980's.

Brilliant journalism I'm sure you'll all agree. Although this is highlighted in the comments.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3005961/Russia-s-new-supersonic-bomber-outrun-Britain-s-best-fighter-jet.html

Great headline, apart from the fact the TU160 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-160has been in service since the 1980's.

Brilliant journalism I'm sure you'll all agree. Although this is highlighted in the comments.

the bear is a second-strike aircraft...it doesn't need to be fast.

all it needs is to have emp blast-proof navigation equipment.(actually some of the russian aircraft still use valves rather than transistors or solid state in their electronics for precisely this reason)

Wiki even has a photo of it being intercepted by a RAF Tornado in 2010.

1280px-QRA_Scramble_to_Intercept_Russian

are you sure that's not concorde????

the russians do have bombers that look like a bit of a knock-off

that being the case, seeing as we and the french invented it,we might have something a bit better by now.

It can't maintain Mach2 but then few, but the latest, fighters can - and it is doubtful that even the latest fighters can. The F-22 Raptor is supposed to get up to about 1.8ish... but its top speed is classified so we don't know for sure.

The Russian bird's engines are dodgy - hence why the Russkies apparently tried to buy Concorde engines after Concorde retired. It can briefly do Mach2 using afterburners. The Russians are in the middle of upgrading it.

The wonder of Concorde was that it could supercruise at Mach2, without afterburners, across thousands of miles. The F-22 Raptor probably can't get to Mach2 and, even if it could, it could not maintain it for more than, what, 150 to 200 miles.

The RAF is about to implement Meteor - a Mach4+ designated missile.

the bear is a second-strike aircraft...it doesn't need to be fast.

all it needs is to have emp blast-proof navigation equipment.(actually some of the russian aircraft still use valves rather than transistors or solid state in their electronics for precisely this reason)

Myth. They use valves simply because when the plane was designed they were far behind the west in semiconductor design.

who cares how fast it is when it has:

Two internal rotary launchers each holding 6× Raduga Kh-55SM/101/102/555 cruise missiles (primary armament) or 12× AS-16 Kickback short-range nuclear missiles.

The Raduga could be launched from the arctic circle and hit us...meanwhile, we chase the supersonic launcher.

Myth. They use valves simply because when the plane was designed they were far behind the west in semiconductor design.

nope.

semiconductors are very very sensitive to small changes in voltage, which can be brought about even through" leakage" from battle hardened artillery/tank/aircraft fuselage

...the emp is able to basically overload transistors with junctions working at fractions of millivolts tolerance for correct operation.

what emp does it it basically gives these junctions in the transistors a massive jolt of static electricity(which is several hundreds/thousands of volts), that it can't cope with, and burns them out,

it doesn't get that static shock by direct contact, but by induction.

it's quite easy to simulate.and for those who have worked in a field like chip production know that all sorts of precautions need to be taken.

even if you have built your own PC, why do you think the motherboard comes inside a shielded bag, and you are supposed to put all the bits together on a special ESD mat, and use a wrist strap when fitting it all?????( 90% of the people who build their PC's don't follow the instructions and don't understand why they are there in the first place)

nope.

semiconductors are very very sensitive to small changes in voltage, which can be brought about even through" leakage" from battle hardened artillery/tank/aircraft fuselage

...the emp is able to basically overload transistors with junctions working at fractions of millivolts tolerance for correct operation.

what emp does it it basically gives these junctions in the transistors a massive jolt of static electricity(which is several hundreds/thousands of volts), that it can't cope with, and burns them out,

it's quite easy to simulate.and for those who have worked in a field like chip production know that all sorts of precautions need to be taken.

even if you have built your own PC, why do you think the motherboard comes inside a shielded bag, and you are supposed to put all the bits together on a special ESD mat, and use a wrist strap when fitting it all?????( 90% of the people who build their PC's don't follow the instructions and don't understand why they are there in the first place)

I know about EMP. And I used to be military avionics designer.

The reason why the Russians used valves was because they were behind in semiconductor development, not for nuclear hardening as you claimed.

If valves were the best solution the west would go back to valves,

Am not a fan of the Top Trumps school of amateur military analytics.

My amrchair Field Marshall outranks your amrchair Admiral of the Fleet. No, hang on, that should be the other way around.

I know about EMP. And I used to be military avionics designer.

The reason why the Russians used valves was because they were behind in semiconductor development, not for nuclear hardening as you claimed.

If valves were the best solution the west would go back to valves,

As far as I can tell it doesn't matter which they are as long as they are radiation hardened and designed to withstand the induced currents from the EM pulse. Valves are inherently more robust (though the rest of the circuitry may not be). Microchips tend to be inherently more vulnerable due to the scale of their architecture but can be designed to be both radiation hard and resist bursts of current.

So I guess either could be used to fulfil the same design criteria.. Except in aircraft where you want/need a complex onboard computer to run everything.. Then your valve setup will get prohibitively large/heavy.

What scares me is if the Russians launch a nuclear attack on us we`ll never be able to pay our debt back.

Doesn't bear thinking about....

Would a nuclear attack cause HPI?

No massive surprise..

Europe have announced they/we are launching a propaganda war on Russia:

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/global-europe/eu-launches-operation-counter-russian-propaganda-313099

The European Union is set to launch its first operation in a new propaganda war with Russia, within days of EU leaders giving formal approval to the campaign at a summit yesterday (19 March).

I presume this is just the first of a stream of anti-Russia media pieces we will see over the coming months..

Guest eight

nope.

Chip production is quite a large part of my job but I didn't understand any of that.

SVBR09.jpg

I presume this is just the first of a stream of anti-Russia media pieces we will see over the coming months..

In addition to the constant stream of anti-Russian media over the last 2 years, yes.