House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
or in excess of

Rich Students

My student rooms cost £32-50 a week but that was way back in the pre-historic era of the years 1997-2000. I remember thinking £50 was ludicrous!

If we ship all our factories over to the East, then of course £2K per month on the children for their education, of the factory owners, is peanuts. We don't have factories, therefore we have had our arms and legs removed, in which to go out in the world and earn an income.

Edited by 200p

My student rooms cost £32-50 a week but that was way back in the pre-historic era of the years 1997-2000. I remember thinking £50 was ludicrous!

My whole expenditure for food and accommodation (catered hall of residence) for 30 weeks was £960 in 1986. Rent was £18 a week outside University

Student housing is obviously a accident waiting to happen but its a useful accident.

In many nice family areas good 3-4 bed houses with gardens are used for student lettings at prices families cannot afford = scruffy destroys the gardens and raises the prices for the locals to over 1000 pcm in my part of NR2 near the schools.

This demand has financed new blocks of student houses and also some developments in unused commercial which although expensive has the benefit of moving these students out of these family houses.

The universities are not mugs either I notice that the UEA here in Norwich have blocks and blocks of new accommodation. They know the amount of students they have coming and can market it to them directly.

From what I see the Chinese students are not that friendly or keen to mix overall so would prefer to be in purpose built secure rooms on campus.

Longer term from the numbers coming in the university is like exporting factory so it is exposed to the same risks as a factory currency/diplomatic issues and competition from other countries.

I think everyone should cash in their pensions and buy a few

It is a bubble because from what I see all this new demand is coming from China.

I never saw so many Chinese in Norwich ever they have their own cafes, shops and are doing a nice trade.

However from trying to speak to a couple of them it does strike me that they will leave with worse English skills than they arrived in as either they ignore you or 9/10 don't have the skills to engage in conversation.

If I was a Chinese parent I would not be happy either paying all that money to send my child to the Uk so they can become a captain of industry able to hold board level presentations in English etc

Better for them to bring the best professors to China and have their own world class universities.... which I am sure they will do

Sounds rather as if the student market as we knew it no longer exists. Students in the mainstream now have the same budget as working people, and at the top end a great deal more. I guess that's what happens when the Micawber ethos is replaced by one of living on easy credit.

I suspect it's not the whole story. But it would explain why so many HMOs appear on the market: as the students move on to better things, most of the remaining market[1] is the poor-for-a-reason, and that's a tough market.

[1] In an area like Plymouth where even the lowest of the budgets cited gets you a mid-range place.

all now have flat screen TVs

Wow! Definetly worth spunking half a million on.

city centre flats in provincial centres were the first to lose about 80% of their value between 2007-2009, i suspect the same will happen this time.

I was paying £34 a week as late as 2005. It was an utter dump though, and in Nottingham, which is also an utter dump.

Admittedly you could easily pay £120-150 a week for the top end private student 'villages' which were full of the internationals. Ironically, despite all having en-suites, the rooms were tiny.

all now have flat screen TVs

Wow! Definetly worth spunking half a million on.

city centre flats in provincial centres were the first to lose about 80% of their value between 2007-2009, i suspect the same will happen this time.

Is it possible to buy a new CRT TV these days?

Trying to make out that flat screen TVs are somehow luxury items- sounds like a boomer wrote this piece.