House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

Roundup Weedkiller Can 'probably' Cause Cancer, Warns Who

The World Health Organisations (WHO) cancer arm has announced that best-selling 'Roundup', produced by Monsanto, contains an active ingredient that is "classified as probably carcinogenic to humans".

Amateur gardeners and professional farmers have been urged to think very carefully about using the popular herbicide after a report was published in clinical journal Lancet Oncology on Friday.

The report revealed glyphosate was classified as probably carcinogenic to humans.

It also said there was "limited evidence" that the key ingredient was carcinogenic in humans for non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/roundup-weed-killer-can-probably-cause-cancer-warns-who-10124812.html

It's about time the WHO acknowledges something that has been known for quite a while, Roundup is anything but safe and previous studies who claimed that it was safe were most likely 'influenced' by Monsanto.

If you have a garden or an allotment make sure you inform your neighbours and fellow allotment owners about this. You wouldn't want to be exposed to Roundup spayed by your neighbour.

Don't drink it then! Put it on your path instead!

If it`s a path just use ordinary bleach, kills anything green.

Weeds. The great suburban evil. I'm not a great (or patient) gardener. There have been times when I have felt that the only thing that would permanently eliminate the buggers would be something along the lines of this.......

flamethrower.jpg

post-7446-0-07174900-1427021613_thumb.jpg

Since the perfectly safe sodium chloride was banned I now use glyphosphate.about 40 quid for 4l from the agricultural merchants. Good stuff!

Eh?

Surely using salt as a weedkiller would render the soil barren - and salt isn't banned - well not on my dinner table

You'd think given these government scientists are so convinced about climate change they would be a little more succinct than delivering a 'probably' verdict on this.

There's a lot of money involved in this. Roundup is out of patent but all those 'Roundup-ready', glyphosate resistant GM crops Monsanto peddles are not.

I've used the stuff in the past, to clear paths and such but always handled it in the same way I would handle any poison. I wouldn't dream of spraying it on food crops, however resistant they might be.

As an aside, the US government (rightly imho) gets stick for spraying mutagenic herbicides all over Vietnam. Somehow, the British government has largely got off the hook for doing the same in Malaya a decade earlier.

Sodium Chlorate is used as as herbicide. I didn't realise it had been banned though.

edit: from 2009, courtesy of the EU

not banned as such i believe, but it's highly combustible so they added tonnes of fire depressant chemicals to it.

shame, I used to love blowing up tree stumps with this stuff

(as stated on their eu directive website table salt and sugar are two of the other constituents in this mix, and if you get it wrong it just smoulders and belches out chlorine gas...which is not at all nice.)

definitely a handle with care chemical.

not banned as such i believe, but it's highly combustible so they added tonnes of fire depressant chemicals to it.

shame, I used to love blowing up tree stumps with this stuff

(as stated on their eu directive website table salt and sugar are two of the other constituents in this mix, and if you get it wrong it just smoulders and belches out chlorine gas...which is not at all nice.)

definitely a handle with care chemical.

wiki: Exploding Trousers

In New Zealand in the 1930s, farmers reportedly had trouble with exploding trousers as a result of attempts to control ragwort, an agricultural weed...

Coupled with the prohibitions accompanying the use of ammonium nitrate fertilisers the fun really is being taken out of gardening.

The last time I had some tree stumps to deal with got myself some Potassium Nitrate in the post. Interesting stuff, probably due for a banning at some point down the line.

edit: round about the same time, I ordered some sulphur pellets to help acidify some soil, I remember thinking at the time there was probably a computer somewhere near Cheltenham creaming itself.

Well, you probably should not drink it!