House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OurDayWillCome

Public Sector Discounts

One of the most odious terms the previous labour government popularized was 'keyworker priority'

Code: If you are a public sector paramedic, you're indespensible. If you're a mechanic, petrol attendant, or anything else in the private sector essential to allowing the paramedic to do their job, you're filth.

I go to a physio.

He offers an NHS discount.

I think its because so many people work for the local hospital i makes sense (to him) to pitch as a group.

Of course, whether is makes sense to the UK to have everyone working for a crap orginasation is another thing.

The thing that boils my p1ss is the the discount for the 'unwaged' at the local leisure.

FFS I have to pay for the thing via my ctax, then pay again when I go in.

I went to a council run gym to be told that they gave discounts to council workers. I went to the Wales National Pool who, likewise, told me that I council workers get a discount.

Why should public sector workers get a discount for something that ALL workers pay towards funding.

Really? 20% off at restaurants etc... I can't get that so why not get Daily Mail about it.

Give us the Login code so that we can decide for ourselves if this is fair?

Is this not just a salary sacrifice scheme where wages are converted into benefits ?.

Looking at the nhsemployers website that seems to be what is being operated

http://www.nhsemployers.org/your-workforce/pay-and-reward/reward/total-reward-in-the-nhs/vat-changes-salary-sacrifice

These schemes are not exactly uncommon in the private corporate sector so I dont see what is the big deal.

Is this not just a salary sacrifice scheme where wages are converted into benefits ?.

Looking at the nhsemployers website that seems to be what is being operated

http://www.nhsemployers.org/your-workforce/pay-and-reward/reward/total-reward-in-the-nhs/vat-changes-salary-sacrifice

These schemes are not exactly uncommon in the private corporate sector so I dont see what is the big deal.

It's not - a Police officer can flash a warrant card and a public sector employee applies for a dîscount card - no wage sacrifice involved just discounts for being a certain section of society.

It's not - a Police officer can flash a warrant card and a public sector employee applies for a dîscount card - no wage sacrifice involved just discounts for being a certain section of society.

Well the NHS scheme clearly is a a salary sacrifice discount scheme.

It looks very similar to the one my private sector employer offers its staff as part of a flexible pay package

Maybe you could provide some links to examples to prove your argument or maybe then you simply can't be ars*d

Well the NHS scheme clearly is a a salary sacrifice discount scheme.

It looks very similar to the one my private sector employer offers its staff as part of a flexible pay package

Maybe you could provide some links to examples to prove your argument or maybe then you simply can't be ars*d

http://www.nandos.co.uk/nhs-emergency-services-and-military-discount

There's one example - where's the wage sacrifice in that???????????

Multiple exclamation marks are a response to your last unnecessary paragraph.

Been approached by Unison, before now, to offer deals to their members. Less about pubic sector and more about them leveraging membership to secure deals that attract more members. I suspect a lot of the deals offered will fairly freely available through various other channels.

I quite regularly use the 10% off at Moto M&S Simply Foods, that comes with AA membership, and it might tip me into joining the AA over another service. Although Moto's own app regularly seems to offer 20% and the AA is total inertia rip off business model where you have the hassle of threatening to leave every year to keep the same cost.

Costco weirdly dole out membership cards to public sector employees when for anyone else they have hoops to jump through to prove they're a business.

I am entitled to discounted leisure facility use, I don't however live in the area I work so have never taken up the offer. I think during the run up to Christmas I was offered a percentage off stuff at the bodyshop, again never used it. I can't recall being offered discounts for anything else. I have been offered a few bribes though, including a bag of sprouts and some vodka :blink:

During my very brief time as a member of unison you were give all sorts of offers for insurance etc which when closely examined were often more expensive than similar products on the open market.

Doesn't bother me.....just search on web and often there will be a discount code/voucher for all manner of purchases......the biggest discount is not buying whatever it is.....you have got to spend it to save it, that is not saving anything.

These general discounts are usually rubbish compared to actual promotions.

My neighbour signed up for one that gave him 20% IIRC off Table Table meals. I refrained from pointing out that I only went there when they had their two meals for one offer running.

I agree with the thrust of the OPs argument, especially about key worker housing although that was in practice as rare as hen's teeth, but I wouldn't take these general discounts if they came free in the post.

I know that in the 1960's, Liverpool Police Officers called their warrant cards 'Black half crowns'

Bit racist but, no surprise, I suppose.