House Price Crash Forum
Digsby

Land Registry Chrome Extension

My apologies for posting this in potentially the wrong Forum, but this one (House Prices and the Economy) is the most active and I want some exposure to this, so free to move it, but it would be nice to hang around for a short time!

As regular forum members will have guessed, I'm a software developer, so I tend to approach problems by asking myself "what software could I write to help with this".

When it comes to house prices, I write software that helps me understand the market, and recently have been comparing Rightmove asking prices against the LR's price calculator to see how under- or over-valued properties on the market are in comparison.

But I often want to know the LR's valuation of a listing I'm looking at while browsing Rightmove, and doing that manually is quite time consuming. So I have written a Chrome extension that finds out the last sold price and date (if known) for a property I am looking at, and display the LR's valuation based on the info in a popup window available in the browsers toolbar.

As a long time lurker before I joined up, I've taken an awful lot from members of this site in the form of knowledge, I would like to give something back, so I have made the extension available for members to install and enjoy, for free.

It is not strictly finished, some error handling and further functionality are needed, but it shouldn't cause any problems and usually works without a hitch. The extension installs an icon on your browsers toolbar, to use, you simply visit a property on Rightmove and click the icon to see the valuation.

In future, I hope to have the icon change colour when a valuation is available so you don't need to click it and wait to find out (not all property's last sold price can be discovered, and beware there are mismatches on Rightmove can can lead to wrong valuations).

The main difficulty with the extension is ensuring that the valuation is for the correct region, but by using a postcode lookup service, I think it should be correct every time, but if you want to use the software, I'd appreciate your reporting (on this forum topic) any wrong valuations (where the region is wrong), or failures to match a region (the window says so in that instance), and provide a link to the property in question.

The extension can't be found by searching the Chrome Web Store at the moment, but if you'd like to try it, you can install it by clicking on the link below:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/land-registry-valuer/amhdfiandbolfeonaiocojkgpiojnjmo

I've attached a screenshot of it in action.

Enjoy!

lr.png

post-38621-0-12935200-1426861358_thumb.png

Great functionality ... maybe the wording could be simplified to emphasise how the asking price is XX % above Land Registry prices?

Well I like the idea of directly quoting the LR, not least because it includes the disclaimer about it not taking property specifics into account.

But yes I do plan to have something like you suggest as well - perhaps the LR quote could be hidden with a button to show it. I also want to add the link to the RM last sold page so that the match can be easily verified manually.

great plugin, thanks

how far back through the Land registry results does the plugin check?

I am using OSX yosemite, and chrome Version 41.0.2272.89 (64-bit)

a couple of properties I have LR data for , I get No last sold price match was found for this property.

For example the crazy woman who lives here has put her house price up every couple of months for the last year and a half:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45217210.html

The house has been on the market on / off for the past 2 years , neighbours identical house sold under 250K back in 2013,

her house keeps going up 20/30 K every few months!

It is now @ 357K

This property is on the land registry,

28/04/1995 £53,000

19 Whitehill Road, Cambridge, CB5 8LU

Thanks

It's impossible to find a matching record in the LR data for any given listing because the listing doesn't contain enough information.

With your example, how am I to know which house number in Whitehill Road? Doing it manually, I'd look on street view and zoom in on the front door, and then get the postcode from the 'view more' link under nearby sold prices, together giving enough to find the property in the LR.

But a chrome extension couldn't possibly do that. What it does do though, is take advantage of the fact that RM themselves match listings with LR data, and uses the information in the above 'view more' link to identify the last sold price that RM have associated with that property.

So if they haven't matched a property, I can't match it either. They go back in the LR data to 1999.

I've made a major update to the extension over the weekend:

1. The toolbar button is now disabled unless you are viewing a property on RM and last sold data is available, so no need to click it to see whether there is a valuation or not - if it is not greyed out, then there is something to see.

2. It now shows all sold prices, if more than one is available, and shows the date, price and tenure for each. The quote from the LR is now hidden by default, you can click on each to see the quote for that sold price.

3. If more than one sold price is available, it will display an estimated value which is the average of the LR valuations, which I think gives a more rounded figure.

4. It now shows the asking price, along with the difference (as suggested by hiace_drifter above). If the asking price is lower than the estimated value, it shows in green, but where it is above, it's highlighted in red as a great big warning sign that the property may be over priced.

5. Provides a link to the page of the matched property on RM (the link right at the bottom on the popup after the copyright blurb) so that you can check that it is not a mismatch.

6. General tidy up of the popup window, just looks generally smarter.

I've attached a new screenshot.

If you've already installed it, it should just update automatically, though you will need to grant it a new permission before it will start working (in the Chrome main menu, should be obvious). You can also update it manually by visiting chrome://extensions and clicking the 'update extensions now' button.

Otherwise, you can visit the link in the OP to install the extension.

screenshot.png

post-38621-0-54968700-1427111914_thumb.png

Excellent and useful plugin.

Needless to say people should also consider other current valuation methods such as based on (for example) rental returns otherwise past sale figures which were excessive (or even low) tend to get embedded in current valuations.

Edited by billybong

That is brilliant, love it! Thanks for sharing it, I will will definitely be using it from now on :)

Excellent and useful plugin.

You're welcome. Would you both (and anybody else who likes and uses the extension) mind adding a review, and/or rating it on the chrome webstore?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/land-registry-valuer/amhdfiandbolfeonaiocojkgpiojnjmo

I've started work on making it compatible with Zoopla, and will be looking for other sites that it could potentially work on too.

Awesome extension thanks for this mate.

Some crazy numbers coming up, what do you guys make of this??

2 Netherton Grove, London, Greater London SW10 9TQ
Jan 2013 (Terraced, Freehold): £3,288,000
Estimated Value: £3,993,221
Asking Price: £6,950,000 74.04%

Data produced by Land Registry © Crown copyright 2015. Where more than one sold price is known, estimated value is the average of the valuations based on each sold price/date. Please double check that the sold property matches the for sale property manuallyhere.

Looking at Street View, it's definitely No. 2. It does say it's been refurbished, but they'd have to have wallpapered it in gold leaf to spend £3m on a refurb! Absolutely nuts asking price.

Nice Extension!

I've used this url in the past to get the sold prices ...

www.rightmove.co.uk/ajax/house-prices/sold-history.html?propertyId=<insert id from sales page>

That's a nice find - I could use that to improve the performance and network traffic substantially. Although, it doesn't include the tenure and property type which I think is quite important to show as it helps to be sure that it's a correct match, and the prices are comparable.

That's a nice find - I could use that to improve the performance and network traffic substantially. Although, it doesn't include the tenure and property type which I think is quite important to show as it helps to be sure that it's a correct match, and the prices are comparable.

I'm sure there's some other calls for obtaining property details buried in their minimised js code. I found the above by digging into the js and watching the network traffic in Chrome Dev Tools.

They're using that ajax response to populate it. Again, missing tenure etc or any way of validating that it's a good match, which it isn't 3 or 4% of the time, usually due to mixing up flat numbers.

I think I'm happy with the way the extension works as is. It's important to link to the matched sale for verification.

Another update to the extension today:

1. Now shows the markup for each sold price, where more than one sold price is available. So if a property sold in 2000, and again in 2002, it gets the LR estimated value for the 2002 sale based on the 2000 sale, and shows the difference between that and the 2002 sold price, so you can see if the 2002 buyers paid too much or little relative to the LR valuation at the time.

2. It also now shows the markup between the estimated value and the last sold price.

3. Now works on primelocation.com as well as zoopla.co.uk and rightmove.co.uk

4. Bug fix for RM that was preventing it from working on premium listings.

Poor reputation? There's only 64 users of this forum using it!

Own up, who's been bad mouthing it?!

The permissions it needs, btw, are massively reduced now, no longer 'access and change all the pages you visit' nor 'read your browsing history' (both of which were for purely innocent reasons).

It might be the next update that does away with the latter, not at my laptop and can't recall.

I've just checked, and the update with the permissions changes is released. Would you mind looking at chrome://extensions and checking you have version 1.0.5? If not, click 'update extensions now' and then letting me know whether the Avast alert has gone away? Thanks.

After reading an enlightening forum topic on the ridiculous notions that go into Avast deciding an extension has 'a bad reputation', I think it could either be that the extension isn't publicly listing on the chrome store (only those, i.e. readers of the forum, can find it because they have the link), or because it hasn't been rated (it seems that to Avast 'no reputation' = 'bad reputation').

Would you mind rating it in the chrome store?

My apologies for posting this in potentially the wrong Forum, but this one (House Prices and the Economy) is the most active and I want some exposure to this, so free to move it, but it would be nice to hang around for a short time!

As regular forum members will have guessed, I'm a software developer, so I tend to approach problems by asking myself "what software could I write to help with this".

When it comes to house prices, I write software that helps me understand the market, and recently have been comparing Rightmove asking prices against the LR's price calculator to see how under- or over-valued properties on the market are in comparison.

But I often want to know the LR's valuation of a listing I'm looking at while browsing Rightmove, and doing that manually is quite time consuming. So I have written a Chrome extension that finds out the last sold price and date (if known) for a property I am looking at, and display the LR's valuation based on the info in a popup window available in the browsers toolbar.

As a long time lurker before I joined up, I've taken an awful lot from members of this site in the form of knowledge, I would like to give something back, so I have made the extension available for members to install and enjoy, for free.

It is not strictly finished, some error handling and further functionality are needed, but it shouldn't cause any problems and usually works without a hitch. The extension installs an icon on your browsers toolbar, to use, you simply visit a property on Rightmove and click the icon to see the valuation.

In future, I hope to have the icon change colour when a valuation is available so you don't need to click it and wait to find out (not all property's last sold price can be discovered, and beware there are mismatches on Rightmove can can lead to wrong valuations).

The main difficulty with the extension is ensuring that the valuation is for the correct region, but by using a postcode lookup service, I think it should be correct every time, but if you want to use the software, I'd appreciate your reporting (on this forum topic) any wrong valuations (where the region is wrong), or failures to match a region (the window says so in that instance), and provide a link to the property in question.

The extension can't be found by searching the Chrome Web Store at the moment, but if you'd like to try it, you can install it by clicking on the link below:

I've attached a screenshot of it in action.

Enjoy!

This is truly excellent - Many many thanks for sharing it. There used to be a firefox plugin but as I have moved over to Chrome now that is no longer used.

This will be used quite a bit to check out local prices.

Have a beer on me and thanks again!

Please bring out a Firefox version! I know Chrome have a larger market share but I refuse to use it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the LR pricing available on the right-hand side for every property on Rightmove already? So it just saves a few clicks?