House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bluesteve

"blue Collar Workers"

i get the impression that theres a lot of clever people who know what they re talking about on here and are very educated and who also know a lot about economics. Is there anyone like me who has nt got a clue and is a "blue collar worker" but would like some good recommended literature to try to give me a greater understanding about economics etc etc or would you recommend doing a A level to give me the basics any advice most grateful cheers

i get the impression that theres a lot of clever people who know what they re talking about on here and are very educated and who also know a lot about economics. Is there anyone like me who has nt got a clue and is a "blue collar worker" but would like some good recommended literature to try to give me a greater understanding about economics etc etc or would you recommend doing a A level to give me the basics any advice most grateful cheers

It depends what you want out of this knowledge? I guess, simply you don't want to get your fingers burn't like in the 90s. When it comes to the housing market I would suggest reading www.firsttimebuyerhelp.co.uk

With general economics, I would just urge you to ask specific questions on here... I'm sure we will all help!

Edited by Jason

I used to be married to a merchant banker who had a degree in economics and trust me if you read The Times and The Economist once a week you'd be as "educated" as they are.

:D nice :D

:D nice :D

you don't have to get a-levels in economics to learn how it works....to be honest,if the teachers were that good then why have they settled for a piss-poorly paid job teaching economics???...makes no sense!!

best advice I can give you is watch bloomberg....especially some of the weekend shows that teach you a bit about technical analasys.....and keep watching until you get it.

that combined with a bit of psychology and lateral(sometimes doing the opposite of what everyone else seems to be doing)thinking...will serve you well.

If you want to learn about finance etc you could do worse than going to 'The Motley Fool' :

http://www.fool.co.uk/index.htm?NavLoc=TN&...&NavFrom=myfool

I work in construction and started learning my 'knowledge' about how money works there and still visit the site everyday 4 years on.

One of the best sites around in my opinion.

Jusr regsiter and ask any question you have on the vast array of BB's.

Dames

I used to be married to a merchant banker who had a degree in economics and trust me if you read The Times and The Economist once a week you'd be as "educated" as they are.

I dare say quite a lot of us used to be married to "merchant bankers" in hindsight.

like a lot of disciplines, it is wrapped up in it's own esoteric language partly designed to alienate outsiders and make it's practitioners sound more special than they are.

It tends to sound a lot more complicated than it actually is.

spot on oracle

after finding this site i ve said a few things to people i know, nothing heavy just an offhand comment about something someones said on here just to gauge their reaction and see if they have an opinion, guess it seems the best way to do exactly the opposite (maybe its the circles i move in!)

Are a lot of people here self educated then , eyes and ears open and mouth shut routine, if so there's hope for me yet then, funny ive only just started taking an interest in the economic situation lately dont know why.

When i was younger i always expected a horrendous meltdown maybe the job i was in then influenced the way i thought, suppose i get older and want to know what the 'knobheads' are talking about on the news etc etc , however my experiences of journalists even famous overseas correspondents (even those who work for the BBC) is that a lot of them talk the talk but dont walk the walk and dont exactly know whats going on!

Thats enough far to much emotion!

Edited by bluesteve

Are we talking cockney rhyming slang here, or did he actually work in a bank?

If its cockney rhyming slang we're talking about then surely he became a merchant banker after the marriage.

blue collar

well you can study at night school etc.

my experience is that 95% of the people work on commonsense and thats all you need to know.

the problem is that the last 5% have created the bubble.

2.5 % are the rip off merchants who have hyped property up ( this includes new labour etc) the other 2.5 % are the suckers.

just go back to basics( common sense) and realise that you should only borrow what you can afford to pay( debt and interest)

i would like to think that the people on this site rely on obviously high iqs. and financial training but the truth is they have seen through the spin and have thought through this great scam

the don

I would say stick around on this site and follow/contribute to the threads! And don't be afraid to ask for clarification (I see you are already not) if you don't get something. I did some economics at university, and this place beats the pants off the useless crap I was taught there. I have learnt a lot by being an HPC regular saddo over the last four months or so. As an earlier poster said, read the economist regularly and you will as 'educated' as these morons who work in the city....but remember that the economist is basically the apologist magazine for the free market, and will only go so far before it stops educating you and starts indoctrinating you.

Use the net: there is a wealth of information for those interested enough and eager enough to learn...from basic descriptions of economics (use Wiki for good intros on any subject including economic ones), course notes from universities, and more detailed analysis and comment on all sorts of subjects.

Above all, have faith in your own ability to reason - don't let the 'professionals' try to beat you in submission with jargon-heavy nonsense and needless complexity...economics is complex, but it can often by distilled down to essentially simple cause and effect. Don't be spoon fed shite by VI influences.

Stick around - remember, the people who post on HPC are not doing so to try and sell you something or influence you to their own personal gain (except maybe the gold bugs?!), and therefore this forum exists as a detached viewpoint where the only measure of a post is the extent to which it TELLS THE TRUTH (n.b. something quite different to the measure of the shite you get told on TV).