House Price Crash Forum

Face Time With Phil

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

how about......

how do you feel being likened to the accountants at enron+worldcom?

.....phil answers,I don't know who they are.

....reply with the reportage from said scandals.

....phil answers:I have not been accused of anything like that.

...your reply:YET...........neither were they until the sh1t hit the fan,then the investors wanted heads to roll....it's easy to be glib until it gets exposed.

PS.hows martha allsop getting on in the slammer?.....has she had to pick up the soap again?

Edited by oracle

HOLA445
HOLA446
Mrs HR is attending a buy-to-let seminar at work next week hosted by Phil Spencer. Just for fun mind. Suggestions please on questions to ask him.

I assume Mrs HR works in the housing industry, or something to do with Phil Spencer?

If my employer invited someone like Phil Spencer into our place, I would crucify him! And then tell me employer I could have done a better job at educating your employees.

Oh, and you could challenge him on the rental return. Stating ARLA stats where most yields are 5% or less.

Edited by Jason

HOLA447

I assume Mrs HR works in the housing industry, or something to do with Phil Spencer?

Investment bank. Pays the rent.

If my employer invited someone like Phil Spencer into our place, I would crucify him! And then tell me employer I could have done a better job at educating your employees.

It's completely voluntary. I imagine she won't be the only one attending for the entertainment value rather than the sage advice.

Edited by happily renting

HOLA448
HOLA449

I would have thought an entire loft conversion would be more appropriate in Phil's case...

why don't they renovate a disused prison?they are going to need just that type of accomodation soon....and lets face it,they really aren't hard enough to get away with community service so a spell inside is just the job.

Oh dear, that's put me right off me bacon butty, that has... :lol:

it's still gonna taste better than kirsties kebab!

Edited by oracle

HOLA4410

Mrs HR is attending a buy-to-let seminar at work next week hosted by Phil Spencer. Just for fun mind. Suggestions please on questions to ask him.

howz about....

are you aware that the practice of "tipping" is illegal.

just this week columnists in the "city slickers" section of the mirror have been jailed for the practice.

don't deny it phil that is what you are doing.....you have a vested interest in ramping property prices and the revenue are looking into your property dealings.....witha view to prosectution on the grounds of "obtaining money by deception"

try that one and watch him sh1t himself in public!!!

Edited by oracle

HOLA4411
Guest The_Oldie

Say that you have doubts about the viability of BTL at this point in the market cycle, having read a couple of informative threads on this website ;).

Then duck :lol:.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

ask him wether he prefers shaker style, galler or mid chestnut for the most exquisite modern contemporary kitchen. also best check if its smoked glass or plain for the dividing wall for the office 'space' and would he prefer 12 ceiling lights or 6 in a diamond.?

thats what id bore him with.

though i wouldnt speak to him. if i attended this conference id sit and the back and when it was quiet id put my fingers down my throat to make a gibbing sound before expelling a string of bile. then id settle again to hear the rest of the show.

or id entertain the other investers with a kite building excerise. keeping clear of any hungry moths that might infiltraite the framework.

HOLA4414

Oh, and you could challenge him on the rental return. Stating ARLA stats where most yields are 5% or less.

Unfortunately, my employer has also invited Phil Spencer to do a BTL seminar. Hmm. I wonder if it's the same employer.

(err, I am not Mrs HR)

HOLA4415

better still, id disable flood control. leave my flat. get on a london bus and hide at the back until it went back to the depot. then i would emerge from my hidden nest and take off in the bus.

fist id pick up as many passengers as i could along the way, quoting things like. "all aboard, tits". and the like. then id let the speed build up along oxford st, before crashing into the conference centre right up to the stage. id discharge all passengers and then stand gloating at the crowd from the back of the bus, ringing the bell over and over shouting. "mmm -tickets to all stops wembley"

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Will Phil S being using powerpoint for his seminar presentation? If so would it be possible to plant a powerpoint presentation with HOUSE PRICE CRASH on every slide. I would pay money to see his face if that happened.

Would it be possible to put some First Time Buyer Beware leaflets (From the HPC home page) around your office building, including in the toilets on the day of the seminar?

During the seminar you might ask how the person he and Kisty helped to buy a house in Lincoln because they couldn't afford one in London is going on. At the same time point out that house prices are falling in Lincoln (see thread on HPC section about house prices in your locality) and that Lincoln saw some of the most dramatic falls in house prices in the house price crash of the 1990s. Smile when you have finshed asking your question and making your statements.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Today was the day. She'll write up her experience when she has some time. A few pearls of wisdom:

- Don't believe the media (i.e., the HPC VIs)

- After Christmas everything will stabilise

- The powers that be won't allow a crash

- Don't btl unless you're in it for the long term, 15-20 years

At least he was on the right track with the last one.

Sadly, most of the audience appeared to be lapping it up.

HOLA4421

- The powers that be won't allow a crash

Its that old chestnut. Until I hear a sensible answer to how I won't believe them. For reference there isn't a means of avoiding in bar rampent inflation ala 1974-6. (It doesn't cure the problem but it does hide it).

The market is heading downwards as soon as some people need to sell.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

According to Mrs HR:

It was a fairly amusing way to spend an hour. The room was overflowing with future landlords no doubt dreaming of comfortable retirements funded by BTL profits. The seminar related to the London market only (something that wasn't made clear on the invitation). Phil was one of 2 speakers who had a 20 minute slot which conveniently overran so that there was little time for questions. He started by saying that potential BTL investors may be confused by the conflicting news reports about the housing market. He advised us never to believe anything reported in the press. As an example he mentioned the topic that everyone (according to him) is obsessed about - whether he and Kirsty were shagging, if not, was it because he was gay, if not, was it because they hated each other? This used up at least 5 minutes but he assured those of us who cared that the answer to all 3 questions was a definite ‘no’.

Here’s a summary:

- There is a chronic shortage of London properties and an increasing influx of students (British and foreign), workers from continental Europe and the U.S. on short-term contracts which is creating massive rental demand

- Most graduates are saddled with debt and are priced out of the market. Even those that can afford to don't buy property because all they want is to have expensive holidays, plasma TVs, and live with their mates! This of course creates massive rental demand

- Confidence has returned to the market in the last 2 months, and sellers believe that prices will rise in 2006, so they would prefer not to sell just yet. This is why sales volumes are stagnant but meanwhile the available housing stock is dwindling creating even more massive rental demand

- It’s a shame about Sipps but property has always been a good investment in London, which will remain a rental hotspot for the foreseeable future

- Be prepared to invest for 10-20 years since current yields are "tight"

- Avoid being a forced seller (er, who actually plans to be a forced seller?)

- This Christmas will be the start of a new market cycle, i.e. a period of stable house price rises (single digit annual growth) with a 5% rise in prices and rents in London during 2006

- There will be no more boom and bust because the "powers-that-be" have better control of the economy. This was in response to a question about the likelihood of a early 90s-style crash.

- Stable capital growth will compensate the current low yields. This was in response to a comment that it was very difficult to get a mortgage on a London property where the rental income covered the mortgage payments

- Future property hotspots will be Elephant & Castle, White City and Vauxhall