House Price Crash Forum

Mountain Bike Tyre Buying Anxiety

HOLA441

I currently have a pair of these on my mountain bike and, to be fair, they have been very good with only one puncture in about 4 years - and that was recently.

But they are about £30 a tyre - with discount £26.99 each.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Crossroads-Armadillo-26-inch-Urban-Tyre_41310.htm

Reviews from around 2010 are excellent when I do a google. However, reviews in recent years do not seem so favourable. I get the impression that the quality has gone down.

So I am thinking of getting these - I can get two for about £20.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/parts/tyres/schwalbe-land-cruiser-tyre-26

I just bought a pair for a runaround bike, in 700 x 42 format, and they are nice enough for tarmac and a bit of gravel on the road. I think they would be OK for a bit of light off-roading.

So, any views on bike tyres folks - is it worth paying extra for perceived 'quality' or, in the age where most tyres are now made in China, is it worth paying extra?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Only 3? What pure, extravagant, indulgence.

Any self respecting hpcer would get 5 bicycle tyres and a contraceptive device out of a single car tyre.

Actually any self respecting HPC'er wouldn't bother with tyres.

They'd be cycling around with blood pouring out of their ass, but it would be a small price to pay.

Re the name change - did they force you into buying at last, hence the elevated stropiness ?

HOLA4410

Actually any self respecting HPC'er wouldn't bother with tyres.

They'd be cycling around with blood pouring out of their ass, but it would be a small price to pay.

Re the name change - did they force you into buying at last, hence the elevated stropiness ?

Yes I've become a homo

But I fail to see my elevated levels of strop?

Edit: I meant homeowner, obviously.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

For what you need them for - schwalbe marathon plus. Expensive but put them on and literally forget about them for years.

Nice roll on tarmac and decent on slightly rough stuff.

HOLA4415

For what you need them for - schwalbe marathon plus. Expensive but put them on and literally forget about them for years.

Nice roll on tarmac and decent on slightly rough stuff.

Was going to get them BUT... too many reviews of people going for a slide in wet or icy conditions.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Was going to get them BUT... too many reviews of people going for a slide in wet or icy conditions.

In fairness that can happen with practically any tyre.

My approach to simply to buy any tyre with good reviews and a hefty discount at around a tenner a piece. Recently got a pair of Mountain Kings for under a tenner a piece.

HOLA4418

In fairness that can happen with practically any tyre.

My approach to simply to buy any tyre with good reviews and a hefty discount at around a tenner a piece. Recently got a pair of Mountain Kings for under a tenner a piece.

Having read hundreds of reviews this week it seems to be more dependent upon pot luck re the quality of the individual tyre you get.

Some people are paying £30 plus for a tyre and think it is superb. Someone else buys the same tyre and it falls apart within a few weeks.

I don't know what that says about tyres generally. Whether it means that quality control on various brands and models havs gone to pot. Or whether the expensive tyre prices are more to do with marketing and hype... and that, in reality, there is little difference between a £10 tyre and a £50 one.

HOLA4419

Sad to say I shop at tescos and use their vouchers to double up on vouchers for evan cycles. I then price match anything I buy there to cheapest ( normaly chain reaction) and get it delivered to store.

The problem I have is sometimes sections are gravelly or dusty then heavy clays. Tires I have are stock but they only work well on gravels. The continentals tiree in the local shop looked nice. One issue I have is my bike has 26" wheel. 29 seems popular now and also that other large size. I have never riden one but I understand helpful for tree roots.

HOLA4420

Unless you have studs - you are going for a slide in icy conditions !!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I'm looking forward to it immensely. I don't think I will ever tire of being able to tell my wife what a fine mess she got us into. She will be treading on eggshells for years.

I think you are in the wrong thread. I would love to know which doom laden one it should be posted in.

HOLA4425

Sad to say I shop at tescos and use their vouchers to double up on vouchers for evan cycles. I then price match anything I buy there to cheapest ( normaly chain reaction) and get it delivered to store.

The problem I have is sometimes sections are gravelly or dusty then heavy clays. Tires I have are stock but they only work well on gravels. The continentals tiree in the local shop looked nice. One issue I have is my bike has 26" wheel. 29 seems popular now and also that other large size. I have never riden one but I understand helpful for tree roots.

I share your anxiety. These others just don't get it. Pah!

Archived