House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Glass, Not Plastic, Prescription Spectacles

So, I find myself needing new prescription specs.......

But can anyone tell me, cos I sure as heck can't find any info anywhere, IF it is at all possible to still get prescription spectacle lenses made of good old fashioned glass - and not whatever plastic material is commonly used these days. I'm sure they'll cost more least I would like the choice.

I have my reasons.

TIA to anyone who knows.

Yes, possible but it will cost you. The Zeiss high end lenses are glass. I had them in the last pair of glasses that I had. Brilliant. After you have tried them you won't go back to the normal rubbish.

The last time I bought a real glass monocle was in 1994. I insisted on glass. Actually I bought two and had them linked together with a bit of wire over my nose, and arms to hold them on my ears!

So, I find myself needing new prescription specs.......

But can anyone tell me, cos I sure as heck can't find any info anywhere, IF it is at all possible to still get prescription spectacle lenses made of good old fashioned glass - and not whatever plastic material is commonly used these days. I'm sure they'll cost more least I would like the choice.

I have my reasons.

TIA to anyone who knows.

Health and Safety would dictate against glass lenses.

TIA ? Transient Ischaemic Attack? :ph34r:

Health and Safety would dictate against glass lenses.

TIA ? Transient Ischaemic Attack? :ph34r:

Health & Safety??!! Now I definitely wanna get proper glass lenses!

Seriously though. Glass lenses can be surprisingly and seriously tough! Ray Bans (bona fide ones) with Bausch & Lomb glass are excellent.

TIA = Thanks In Advance

Yes, possible but it will cost you. The Zeiss high end lenses are glass. I had them in the last pair of glasses that I had. Brilliant. After you have tried them you won't go back to the normal rubbish.

Thanks. I am aware of the superiority of proper glass over the acrylic stuff used nowadays. I'm coming to realise that the only places where I will be able to order proper glass lenses will be to go to an old fashioned owner-proprietor optician and not one of the many high street chain specs shops.

Thanks. I am aware of the superiority of proper glass over the acrylic stuff used nowadays. I'm coming to realise that the only places where I will be able to order proper glass lenses will be to go to an old fashioned owner-proprietor optician and not one of the many high street chain specs shops.

In fact I got them in Specsavers. I did ask first, before booking an appointment, if they could supply them.

Strangely enough my previous glasses had been from one of those owner-proprietor opticians and they were terrible. I had been going to them for a while and in the past they had been fine. But the last time I was there the result was cr4p. I complained and complained but got no satisfaction from them. My wife had the same experience from them at about the same time.

Interestingly, the lenses which gave the trouble were manufacture by a firm that I had always associated with watch manufacture.

Yeah, I have glass lenses in mine. The refractive index of plastic is lower than high density glass and my prescription is such that if I had plastic lenses they'd be far too thick to be practical. As it is I have the highest refractive index glass possible, from Zeiss no less, to keep em as thin as possible and therefore as light as possible. Small lenses too to keep the weight down. Cost £800 though but not like I got a choice in the matter really, after years of having sores on my nose from the pressure of heavy glasses balancing on them I finally had enough.

And I got em from Specsavers.

Plastic scratches and glass shatters, though, so you gotta be a bit more careful with them! If I could I'd use plastic over glass any day.

Yeah, I have glass lenses in mine. The refractive index of plastic is lower than high density glass and my prescription is such that if I had plastic lenses they'd be far too thick to be practical. As it is I have the highest refractive index glass possible, from Zeiss no less, to keep em as thin as possible and therefore as light as possible. Small lenses too to keep the weight down. Cost £800 though but not like I got a choice in the matter really, after years of having sores on my nose from the pressure of heavy glasses balancing on them I finally had enough.

And I got em from Specsavers.

A while after I got the Zeiss glasses I was diagnosed with cataracts. I had known that they were developing but didn't realise that these days they could be removed at any point rather than having to wait for them to ripen. So got cataracts removed, uncorrected vision about 20/15, only need reading glasses for small print these days.