House Price Crash Forum

Solution To America’S Homelessness: 3.5 Million Homes Made Up Of Plastic Bottles

tyres

HOLA441

Yes it’s true. The United States can make 3.5 million houses, equivalent to the number of homeless people in the country, out of plastic bottles in just a year by optimizing the 129.6 million plastic bottles it uses everyday!

A bullet proof, fire proof and earthquake resistant house built with just plastic bottles filled with sand, molded together with mud or cement. The walls maintain an indoor temperature of 64 degrees Fahrenheit year-round.

plastic-bottle-1.jpg

plastic-bottle-house-2-630x250.jpg

Solution To America’s Homelessness

HOLA442
HOLA443

Bottles are quite a good construction material and have been used in Africa for some time. They retain thermal mass well. As ever, of course, the problem is not the cost of building, but the cost of land. Every few weeks a 'could this solve the housing crisis' article comes out, showing a house built for ten pence from old cigarette packets. It's just a distraction from the real issue, which is rentierism, banksterism and land banking.

HOLA444

Bottles are quite a good construction material and have been used in Africa for some time. They retain thermal mass well. As ever, of course, the problem is not the cost of building, but the cost of land. Every few weeks a 'could this solve the housing crisis' article comes out, showing a house built for ten pence from old cigarette packets. It's just a distraction from the real issue, which is rentierism, banksterism and land banking.

+1.

Theres probably millions of vacant homes in the states, possibly tens of millions.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Theres probably millions of vacant homes in the states, possibly tens of millions.

Not just empty homes, but also under-utilised homes. As a daft example (but representative of a typical street full of retired people).....just on my dad's cul-de-sac of 25 houses alone, I'd roughly estimate there's 70+ bedrooms remaining empty (out of 100 or so) - most houses are 3 to 5 bed, elderly couple / single elderly. One house, 4 bedrooms, 1 bedroom used, 3 not used (as in, not slept in) would be the "mode" house. Not so much housing crisis, but "goodness me, these empty rooms that I need to dust are a nuisance" crisis.