House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Death Penalty: Oklahoma Votes To Execute Prisoners By Asphyxiating Them With Nitrogen

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/death-penalty-oklahoma-votes-to-execute-prisoners-by-asphyxiating-them-with-nitrogen-10113454.html

Politicians in the state of Oklahoma have come up with a new and largely untested way to execute death row prisoners – asphyxiation with nitrogen.

After the US Supreme Court put on hold the execution of three inmates due killed by lethal injection and amid an ongoing struggle to obtain the drugs used in the injection, politicians voted overwhelmingly to allow nitrogen be used.

State Representative Mike Christian, a Republican who sponsored the bill, claimed the process would be both painless for inmates and affordable for Oklahoma.

Yet despite the politicians claims that nitrogen asphyxiation is safe and painless, it appears there is little hard data on its use; no other state uses this method for putting inmates to death although a commission in Louisiana recently recommended using nitrous gas to kill condemned prisoners.

"I think you have to be concerned about that," Robert Dunham, of the Death Penalty Information Centre, told The Independent. "The absence of any scientific basis for the gas reduces the execution to an experiment and we do not know what will happen."

So will this be a humane way to kill someone? Surely they must have tried it out on rats first to have some idea about what will happen?

I remember watching a documentary years ago about which was the "best" way to die and the conclusion was death by nitrogen, painless and surprised it wasn't already in use. Perhaps it was too painless?

That was my understanding also.

You maintain normal respiration - no feeling of asphyxiation - but lack of oxygen results in unconsciousness and eventually brain death. Why they ever went down the road of a cocktail of drugs with varying results, I have no idea - big pharma perhaps?

Type "controlled atmosphere killing" into Google.

All of the animal rights groups are screaming for it to replace current animal slaughter methods because it's much more humane.

I remember watching a documentary years ago about which was the "best" way to die and the conclusion was death by nitrogen, painless and surprised it wasn't already in use. Perhaps it was too painless?

It was probably this. It's been split into 6 parts, not sure in which part the nitrogen method is.

The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen, so our bodies are used to it.

It isn't the nitrogen that kills, it's the lack of oxygen.

In the documentary posted above by Eddie, Michael Portillo rather weirdly experiences the early stages of hypoxia - it's late on in the program. I remember the documentary cops out by refusing to identify an "ideal" execution method, but hypoxia looks like a nice way to go and leaves less mess to clean up than most of the alternatives.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/death-penalty-oklahoma-votes-to-execute-prisoners-by-asphyxiating-them-with-nitrogen-10113454.html

So will this be a humane way to kill someone? Surely they must have tried it out on rats first to have some idea about what will happen?

Whenever these stories come up about American authorities grappling with improved ways of despatching murderers, I'm reminded of a couple of Day Today skits, particularly this one...

and this one...

At first I though it was a load of rubbish, how could suffocation be humane? The I remembered that, in humans, the urge to breath is triggered by the buildup of CO2 so it could well be humane.

I wonder though, what is the problem with a massive dose of an anesthetic drug, after all, vets use it all the time to humanly dispatch animals.

At first I though it was a load of rubbish, how could suffocation be humane? The I remembered that, in humans, the urge to breath is triggered by the buildup of CO2 so it could well be humane.

I wonder though, what is the problem with a massive dose of an anesthetic drug, after all, vets use it all the time to humanly dispatch animals.

One problem with using an actual drug is sourcing it. I gather some of the ingredients for lethal injections used in the US were sourced from European manufacturers who are now legally barred from selling them for that purpose. I'm guessing oxygen-free air is easier to obtain / manufacture.

One problem with using an actual drug is sourcing it. I gather some of the ingredients for lethal injections used in the US were sourced from European manufacturers who are now legally barred from selling them for that purpose.

Hat tip to George Carlin...

wiki: Lethal Injection

The arm of the condemned person is swabbed with alcohol before the cannula is inserted.[15] The needles and equipment used are sterilized. There have been questions about why these precautions against infection are performed despite the purpose of the injection being death...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLUIw6gJw74

One problem with using an actual drug is sourcing it. I gather some of the ingredients for lethal injections used in the US were sourced from European manufacturers who are now legally barred from selling them for that purpose. I'm guessing oxygen-free air is easier to obtain / manufacture.

I think that's _the_ problem isn't it? I'm surprised they couldn't find some way around that though. How hard would it be to, for example, pass a law allowing the state government to request supplies of drugs anonymously from any medical facility operating in the state?