House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StuG III

Car Batteries

The old car battery is giving up the ghost and despite a nice recharge the other day, its still a bit reluctant.

So maybe time for a new one and need some HPC bangernomics advice.

But what's the best value - an expensive good named brand with a 5 year warranty or a cheap POS brand with a 3 year warranty?

Varta! Not a rude word is it? All the Exides, Chlorides, Yuasa, something you have heard of.

I`ve got a Hitachi on my van. 12 years old and no sign of aging. (diesel)

On the other hand I`ve only got 3 years out of batteries bought in this country. (petrol)

I`ve got a Hitachi on my van. 12 years old and no sign of aging. (diesel)

On the other hand I`ve only got 3 years out of batteries bought in this country. (petrol)

Are you in China?

If the cheap one is 41% cheaper than the expensive one - there's your answer

That and will the car unexpectedly not starting be a major hassle?

I bought a £150 battery for my van with 5 year warranty. Because I'm screwed if I can't get to a job in the morning.

I was forced by circumstances to get a replacement battery from Halfords about 4 years ago, with a 3-year warranty.

After 2 years and 11 months one of the cells failed, and I got a free replacement.

So it worked out fairly good value in the end.

Have you checked that the alternator is charging? Should get 14ish volts across the terminals when running.

I bought my last battery online, nice Bosch one for less than £50.

Thanks all.

Its been getting on for 4.5 years since I bought the car so the battery is getting on a bit (it could have been in there for a while longer - original ford battery by the looks). Generally I do short runs to pick up the missus from the station because she cant be rsed to walk up the hill. In winter, using the heater and windscreen heater will for a 10min run will probably take its toll on the battery.

Car is for keeping until it becomes unbangernomical - 9 years old now, probably at least 6 years left.

I'm inclined to think a decent battery will be better than a cheaper one, as chronyx says, not being able to start the car is a major embuggerance, even if I have a charger to hand.

Thanks all.

Its been getting on for 4.5 years since I bought the car so the battery is getting on a bit (it could have been in there for a while longer - original ford battery by the looks). Generally I do short runs to pick up the missus from the station because she cant be rsed to walk up the hill. In winter, using the heater and windscreen heater will for a 10min run will probably take its toll on the battery.

Car is for keeping until it becomes unbangernomical - 9 years old now, probably at least 6 years left.

I'm inclined to think a decent battery will be better than a cheaper one, as chronyx says, not being able to start the car is a major embuggerance, even if I have a charger to hand.

Is it a diesel? a lot of fords and other diesels for that matter use a type of starter motor that are prone to eating their brushes which gives similar symptoms as a failing battery,sluggish starting gradually getting slower over time until it gets to the point that all you get is a click from the solenoid on the starter

If you have access to a known good battery or a set of jump leads its well worth just checking to see if you have the same problem with a good battery just to eliminate the starter from the equation

Is it a diesel? a lot of fords and other diesels for that matter use a type of starter motor that are prone to eating their brushes which gives similar symptoms as a failing battery,sluggish starting gradually getting slower over time until it gets to the point that all you get is a click from the solenoid on the starter

If you have access to a known good battery or a set of jump leads its well worth just checking to see if you have the same problem with a good battery just to eliminate the starter from the equation

Petrol. Diesel is the fuel of satan.

I think Bosch and Varta are the same batteries, just different branding on them.

From a bit of Googling:

Varta Black / Bosch S3 = 3-year
Varta Blue / Bosch S4 = 4-year
Varta Silver / Bosch S5 = 5-year

I've got a Varta blue one, 55 quid.

Petrol. Diesel is the fuel of satan.

Indeed it is! :unsure:

Exide always seem to get glowing reviews when Auto Express test batteries. I've got one in my Mondeo that is clearly smaller than the one Ford specified (thanks to the previous owner), and it starts the car with no bother at all.

Well tonight went to pick Her up from the station and it was touch and go if the car would start - problem with car batteries is once they have been drained, they never quite take a charge again.

Anyway, so as BlueRat points out, Varta and Bosch are actually the same animal and the Varta is considerably cheaper. New Varta Silver on its way for a smidgen over £50.

Job's a fish.