House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

George Carlin - Euphemisms

People keep on harping on about Bill Hicks...I think George Carlin was a better comedian...less said about Denis Leary, the better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PkWf9M3rUw

Bill Hicks was very good, but not quite as much to my taste as Carlin. Also a lot of Hicks stuff/sketches were very time/event/person specific (e.g sketch on the LA riots, President HW Bush, etc) - and so have dated quite a bit. Whereas Carlins stuff is more about life in general - and so is more timeless.

Bill Hicks was very good, but not quite as much to my taste as Carlin. Also a lot of Hicks stuff/sketches were very time/event/person specific (e.g sketch on the LA riots, President HW Bush, etc) - and so have dated quite a bit. Whereas Carlins stuff is more about life in general - and so is more timeless.

After Hicks did his stuff about Bush, and the first Iraq war, it was still relevant with the stuff his son was doing during the 2nd Iraq war..

George was a genius. His last 3 or 4 HBO specials are some of the greatest standup comedy ever. In fact to call them just 'standup' is to undersell them somewhat.

George was a genius. His last 3 or 4 HBO specials are some of the greatest standup comedy ever. In fact to call them just 'standup' is to undersell them somewhat.

If I had to name my top 3 comedians, Carlin, would be in there...Trouble is, is that most people say "who"? He didn't have any expose over here, really, at all...Then I watched someone like Louis CK, or whatever his name is, who pales into insignificance...There's no really ballsy comedians out there at the moment...We even had a very offensive Jerry Sadowitz twenty or so years ago..

If I had to name my top 3 comedians, Carlin, would be in there...Trouble is, is that most people say "who"? He didn't have any expose over here, really, at all...Then I watched someone like Louis CK, or whatever his name is, who pales into insignificance...There's no really ballsy comedians out there at the moment...We even had a very offensive Jerry Sadowitz twenty or so years ago..

Doug Stanhope? Bill Burr?

afaic Carlin was in a class of his own, but that was the older Carlin and his HBO specials. It's easy to forget, or not know, that Carlin reinvented himself in the middle of his career. Prior to that he was more conventional and very successful, private jets the works

Hicks was only 32 when he died. Lots of comedians never even get started till their mid 30s.

Top 3 for me

Hicks

Carlin

Kinison

Quite like this bloke at the mo

afaic Carlin was in a class of his own, but that was the older Carlin and his HBO specials. It's easy to forget, or not know, that Carlin reinvented himself in the middle of his career. Prior to that he was more conventional and very successful, private jets the works

Not convinced by Doug Stanhope...he seems to ramble a bit...Haven't really heard much of Bill Burr...something I need to look into...

I think Carlin was fairly mainstream, very early on...I've seen Youtube clubs of him doing, to be frank, doing a rather inane routine on a few american chatshows..

Yes. He his with more conventional stuff. Still very funny.

Not convinced by Doug Stanhope...he seems to ramble a bit...Haven't really heard much of Bill Burr...something I need to look into...

I think Carlin was fairly mainstream, very early on...I've seen Youtube clubs of him doing, to be frank, doing a rather inane routine on a few american chatshows..

Here's Bill Burr at his best.

Hicks was only 32 when he died. Lots of comedians never even get started till their mid 30s.

Top 3 for me

Hicks

Carlin

Kinison

Kinison was a comic's comic and I frequently hear contemporary US comics refer to him as a major influence in their podcasts and such.

I don't recall him getting much exposure in the UK in his day and I don't think he's become a Youtube legend in the way that certain Carlin/ Hicks clips get repeatedly referenced.

Kinison was a comic's comic and I frequently hear contemporary US comics refer to him as a major influence in their podcasts and such.

I don't recall him getting much exposure in the UK in his day and I don't think he's become a Youtube legend in the way that certain Carlin/ Hicks clips get repeatedly referenced.

Here he is on top form. You can certainly see how he influenced Hicks.

Whenever Hicks gets mentioned, Lenny Bruce seems to be mentioned in the same breath..

Top 3 for me

Hicks

Carlin

Kinison

Quite like this bloke at the mo

Couldn't see any of the other three fronting this travesty:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014gpjx

This September marks the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, one of the biggest terrorist atrocities of the 21st Century. Nineteen hijackers, all members of Al Qaeda, crashed four planes on American soil, leading to the deaths of 2,973 innocent people.

This horrific event has generated a multitude of conspiracy theories that contradict the official findings of the US government's investigation into the events of that day.

Andrew Maxwell, a comedian, believes in the findings of the official investigation, which claim the responsibility for the attack lies with Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda. He thinks the conspiracies theories are unsubstantiated nonsense. So in this film he offers to take five young Brits, who believe some of these conspiracy theories, on a road trip from New York to Washington. They visit Ground Zero where two planes hit the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, home of vast American defence HQ and Shanksville in Pennsylvania where United 93 crashed.

http://theantimedia.org/fbi-had-12-page-file-on-george-carlin-because-he-made-jokes-about-government/

Comedian George Carlin is known as one of the most controversial and outspoken entertainers of his time, and as far as the government is concerned, he could have possibly been a terrorist.

Carlin was not a violent or criminal person in any way, but he said things during his routines that struck at the root of the problems in our society. He went into great detail about corruption in government and business.

During the 1978 Supreme Court case, FCC v Pacifica Foundation, the government cited Carlin’s work as an example of profanity. They used his “Seven Dirty Words” segment to show the type of language that was being used in records and broadcasts. However, the government’s interest in his work did not stop there.

Just after his 1969 appearance on the Jackie Gleason show, Carlin caught the attention of the FBI because he made jokes about then-FBI chief J. Edgar Hoover. According to the government, Carlin had “referred to the Bureau and the Director in a satirical vein.”

They added that his act was “considered to be in very poor taste” and “it was obvious that he was using the prestige of the Bureau and Mr. Hoover to enhance his performance.”

carlin1-1.png

After Carlin’s appearance on the show, the staff of Jackie Gleason received a number of anonymous letters — allegedly from fans but possibly from the FBI — condemning Carlin for speaking about the government in the critical way that he did. It has been proven that the FBI has indeed sent threatening letters to public figures in the past, pretending to be concerned colleagues or a member of the public, including to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Most on HPC must have GCHQ files for subversion. Hello if you're reading.

Oh I don't know, Stanhope can be ballsy:

As can Louis C.K.: