House Price Crash Forum

Worming Tablet Alternatives For Cats

OnionTerror

HOLA441

I'm trying to give my two cats worming tablets. I've got one of the grabber type things where you put the tablet in its "claws", and in theory, you can push it to the back of their throats, but they refuse, and end up trying to scratch my eyes out, the little buggers.

Is there an alternative?

HOLA442

I'm trying to give my two cats worming tablets. I've got one of the grabber type things where you put the tablet in its "claws", and in theory, you can push it to the back of their throats, but they refuse, and end up trying to scratch my eyes out, the little buggers.

Is there an alternative?

What i used to do with my dog would be to wrap the pill in a piece of ham or a chunk of butter - but my dog was an idiot and would swallow it whole - i suspect cats are a bit more discerning but it's worth a shot

HOLA443

Is there an alternative?

Wear goggles?

Joking aside - it can be quite a fight to get the tablet down my cats throat as well. I've had some success in opening it's jaw, like a vet does, and giving it a couple of treats then sneaking the worming pill in.

What I'd like to know is there any good alternative to Frontline for flea teatment, if anyone has any advice. It nearly killed my cat.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Have you used a towel to wrap them in first.

We find its a two person job. Lay out a towel, sit cat on it then fold it over their back holding them tight. Other person uses the pill popper, opens mouth and pushes it in. Hold mouth till they swallow.

I hate doing it tbh. I'm not confident enough. One of our previous vets used to just flick it back their throat in a micro second. Any time we have to visit I get them to do it for me.

HOLA447

Wear goggles?

Joking aside - it can be quite a fight to get the tablet down my cats throat as well. I've had some success in opening it's jaw, like a vet does, and giving it a couple of treats then sneaking the worming pill in.

What I'd like to know is there any good alternative to Frontline for flea teatment, if anyone has any advice. It nearly killed my cat.

Have you looked at Advocate? Frontline spot on left a ball patch on our cat the last time we used it.

HOLA448

Whatever you manage to get away with hiding the tablets in, it never works for very long - cats like "new" things.

After a few mouthfuls of Philadelphia, it isn't "new" any more. So necessary to alternate.

Our male used to love raspberry yoghurt (specifically raspberry) which a previous owner used to feed him. So that worked too. Raspberry fruit fool for 70p in Sainsbury's.

Just don't put the spoon back in the yoghurt afterwards if you want to eat the rest of it yourself.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Wear goggles?

frontline is absolutely useless stuff.

go to the vet and ask for advantage 40.it's a spot-on once a month.

as for worming alternatlives, they can also do drops at the vets too.

best way to do it is when they have a check up.the stuff will last for 6 monts, saves you getting shredded too.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

frontline is absolutely useless stuff.

go to the vet and ask for advantage 40.it's a spot-on once a month.

as for worming alternatlives, they can also do drops at the vets too.

best way to do it is when they have a check up.the stuff will last for 6 monts, saves you getting shredded too.

Have you used one those flea combs?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

As someone else said, it's a 2 person job. Wrap the cat in a towel, 1st person holds it firmly on lap. 2nd person opens its mouth, shoves tablet in and holds mouth closed for a bit. Maybe good to smear the tablet with a bit of e.g. tuna first.

Never easy, though. Dogs are so much simpler, just stick it in a bit of cheese or wrap it in a slice of cold meat - when our old dog was on tablets we got through a lot of Asda's Smartprice chicken roll.

HOLA4416

As someone else said, it's a 2 person job. Wrap the cat in a towel, 1st person holds it firmly on lap. 2nd person opens its mouth, shoves tablet in and holds mouth closed for a bit. Maybe good to smear the tablet with a bit of e.g. tuna first.

Never easy, though. Dogs are so much simpler, just stick it in a bit of cheese or wrap it in a slice of cold meat - when our old dog was on tablets we got through a lot of Asda's Smartprice chicken roll.

One of our old cats used to spit out any tablets behind the TV..

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Wear goggles?

Starts with an A

Advantage I think.

The frontline stopped working!

HOLA4420

I've figured out how to do our cat, who detests any kind of pill or spot-on action. I get hold of her, put her on the floor, and then kneel over her so her head is poking out from between my knees. She can't scratch me that way, and it's simple enough then to tilt her head back and put the pill in.

HOLA4421

I've figured out how to do our cat, who detests any kind of pill or spot-on action. I get hold of her, put her on the floor, and then kneel over her so her head is poking out from between my knees. She can't scratch me that way, and it's simple enough then to tilt her head back and put the pill in.

Not at the time - she'll get you later!

Seriously, do cats bare grudges? Genuine question. I don't think dogs do, but cats. My ex's cat would occasionally swipe at me, because her ex was a ******* to the cat. I never trusted that cat and I'm very wary of the creatures to this day - even though my first pet was a cat and I had no issues with him

HOLA4422

Not at the time - she'll get you later!

Seriously, do cats bare grudges? Genuine question. I don't think dogs do, but cats. My ex's cat would occasionally swipe at me, because her ex was a ******* to the cat. I never trusted that cat and I'm very wary of the creatures to this day - even though my first pet was a cat and I had no issues with him

Yes, they do 'bear grudges'. They can 'save them up' and strike later - especially with other cats.

They also exhibit a behaviour which I think is called redirected aggression which is where they will snap at someone other than the person that annoyed them.

That's a bit different to mistreatment however: cats are highly emotionally complex animals and so their formative years (especially) matter in exactly the same way as a human child's.

Archived