House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

Lifetime Earnings Are To Equal To Asset Value Ownership. How Does This Work?

This story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/11461703/Ive-saved-700000-by-42.-Can-I-afford-to-semi-retire.html

I've saved £700,000 by 42. Can I afford to semi-retire?

My guesstimate is that his net earnings of the past 20 years roughly equate to his total assets value

So how on earth did he amass that much, given he is risk averse?

Edited by Si1

This story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/11461703/Ive-saved-700000-by-42.-Can-I-afford-to-semi-retire.html

My guesstimate is that his net earnings of the past 20 years roughly equate to his total assets value

Probably contracting, easy to build up a lot of cash if you are on 120k/yr and don't blow it all. He needs a "basic" income of 40k/yr, which to me, is quite a bit and not realistic at 42 on the assets he has.

First thing I'd do is tell the kids to learn a foreign language and pack them off to a cheap university in Europe :-).

I think his relevant linked in profile implies he is a senior manager in telecoms, but could be wrong

He would consider starting a business

Well that's one way NOT to save time!

He’s still got £110,000 of his mortgage left on his main property, and a further £37,000 left on a buy-to-let property, worth about £80,000.

Of course a big chunk of the savings comes from HPI!

He’s much more cautious than he used to be, but he says he’s “waiting for a stock markets crash – after which I would dive in”.

And of course, he can envision the stock market crashing! But, what about his property portfolio?

What would the reporter be saying if this was the other way round. I have £700k in stocks, I'm waiting for a HPC so I can dive in. Headline 'Crazy person alert'! :P

Summed up better than I could ever have done! :lol:

I don't get it. Am I being a naive poor northerner?

This story

Ask Grant Shapps

I don't get it. Am I being a naive poor northerner?

I have no idea if you are naive or a poor northerner, or both! :P

Basically, I had a bit of an incoherent rant about how absurd the article was. Then Eddie_George came along, compared the article to how long piece of string was and I though it summed up the nonsense article quite nicely.

Question ' How much do I need to retire?', Answer 'I have no idea how much you need to retire? How much do you think you need', etc, etc, etc.

Btw, I could definitely retire with investments of £700k to keep me ticking along!