House Price Crash Forum

Basement Extension Leads To House Extermination

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Surely the clue is in the name: AIMS Heating & Plumbing. They may or my not be a good company to use for a new radiator or perhaps a tap washer that needs replacing. But complex structural alterations are likely to be beyond their area of expertise.

Why would anyone use a plumber for such works. Its a bit like visiting your hair dresser when you require some brain surgery.

HOLA447

Surely the clue is in the name: AIMS Heating & Plumbing. They may or my not be a good company to use for a new radiator or perhaps a tap washer that needs replacing. But complex structural alterations are likely to be beyond their area of expertise.

Why would anyone use a plumber for such works. Its a bit like visiting your hair dresser when you require some brain surgery.

Given the number of people who go to global centre's of medical expertise such as Thailand or Turkey for cosmetic surgery, If the price is right, a certain type of person would probably do just that.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

So its a flat. I see their insurance doesn't cover it but is that because it is only contents.

Was the building not insured by the freeholder ?

Or was the buildings insurance negated as the lower flat had no right to extend into the basement in the first place.

Too many missing details.

Who I really feel sorry for are those in the top flat.

HOLA4411

So its a flat. I see their insurance doesn't cover it but is that because it is only contents.

Was the building not insured by the freeholder ?

Or was the buildings insurance negated as the lower flat had no right to extend into the basement in the first place.

Too many missing details.

Who I really feel sorry for are those in the top flat.

Yeah exactly what about the people in the flat above! Totally blameless and they've lost their home.

I wonder if the freeholder (or their insurance company) is going to go after the couple or the builder (or both)? From my limited knowledge of such flat conversions it's not unusual for all flats have access rights to the basement and loft. Despite that I've heard of owners assuming they "own" the basement/loft and to even proceed to do conversions.

HOLA4412

Frankly i'm surprised we don't see more of this kind of thing.

Quite....digging out basements, the new extension for people requiring more space without having the land to build on....can't build up, build down.....Stanhope Road, hope for the best, figures crossed don't bring everything down around . ;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

An example of extend and pretend?

Or perhaps a cunning ploy to cheaply build a whacking great new energy efficient house in the rubble, with an enormous and much more easily and cheaply constructed basement with pool and parking over 5 floors extending deep into the garden at the back?

HOLA4418

So its a flat. I see their insurance doesn't cover it but is that because it is only contents. Was the building not insured by the freeholder ? Or was the buildings insurance negated as the lower flat had no right to extend into the basement in the first place. Too many missing details. Who I really feel sorry for are those in the top flat.

Once upon a time, before property was considered such a one way bet, it was for this sort of reason flats were unmortgagable.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Pathetic. All in needed was a bit of caulk and repointing and it would have been right as rain.

I imagine an estate agent would try to sell it!and people would bid.

There is an extensively fire damaged 3 bed (incl. 1m2 hole in roof) in my local area. Whether the structure is sound I have no clue. It is on at 150K which is many times local salary. And sadly the previous owner is no longer with us :(.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

did we just witness price discovery for the value of the remaining land?

House cost as per article £345k (probably made up figure by the "newspaper")

house is gone, land is left, judge awards £290k

ergo, the land is worth £55k in the judges eyes. Or, building a new house costs £290k!!

OR, the judge is on HPC, and said, well, you are kite flying with your rightmove asking price led nonsense of £345k, buy another, they're dropping in price like a stone since you filed your lawsuit, have £290k