House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest eight

Keyboard Phones

Guest eight

Does anybody else here have a thing for full keyboard phones? I've never got on with touch screens, but my five year old Blackberry Bold is on the last of its last legs - ironically it's the keyboard that's packing in. Fancy something new but don't fancy laying out three hundred quid for a Blackberry Classic - wonder if anybody else inhabits my small and seemingly backward world and had any recommendations?

If I got something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qwerty-Keyboard-Dual-SIM-Mobile-Phone-Fonerange-Quad-Band-Handset-in-Black-/230892113064- would children laugh at me in the street?

I've no idea about such phones so this will not be a very helpful contribution, but I have found that using the right keyboard on an Android phone makes a huge difference. My first Android phone, a T-Mobile Pulse, came with TouchPal and I've installed it on every one of the phones I have had since. It can be a moderate faff persuading the phone to drop its stock keyboard and use the TouchPal one, but it's well worth the effort for someone like me who insists on using capitals and punctuation in WhatsApp messages etc.

I used to love my Nokia E71, and would happily have it back. Unfortunately it drowned, and its successor (the E6-00) turned out to be a bug-ridden pile of ****, perhaps encapsulating Nokia's decline in microcosm.

Bit stumped now. I don't want some clunky great thing that's uncomfortable in the hand and pocket, nor do I want a cheapo: my requirements include GPS/maps as well as adequate Web access. Least bad option looks like the smaller blackberries, until the fashion for nothing but entertainment devices changes.

I used to have a HTC one and rubbished the touchscreen ones until I got a touchscreen.

To be frank, what put me off touchscreen ones were that they had tiny keys for big fingers... but larger mobile phone screens has got rid of that.

My favourite phone I've owned was a HTC Desire Z which I thought was a more elegant keyboard solution. Alas my wife broke it.

No one will laugh, but I can't say whether the one you link to is a pup or not. Don't you remember the China/sh!t thread?

Size matters ;) with phones. So the screen is big enough to have 'keys' large enough to hit reliably.

The other thing that matters is how intelligent the auto complete is. Apple seem to have got this right though I don't have much experience with other handsets.

As if you're trying to type messages after quite a few drinks while out and about, and type "Can you leave the [stab letters on keyboard getting most of them right] under the doormat" you might expect the word "keys" to complete as the phone recognises some context, and not insert the word "jews" for example.

Guest eight

I used to have a HTC one and rubbished the touchscreen ones until I got a touchscreen.

To be frank, what put me off touchscreen ones were that they had tiny keys for big fingers... but larger mobile phone screens has got rid of that.

I seem to have some thing with touch screens where I always get the key to the right of the one I actually think I am "pressing", no matter how careful I am. Probably first sign of a brain tumour, or something....

I have seen laser thingies that can project a full size keyboard onto any surface, which seems quite clever - still a bit of a faff though.

I seem to have some thing with touch screens where I always get the key to the right of the one I actually think I am "pressing", no matter how careful I am. Probably first sign of a brain tumour, or something....

I have seen laser thingies that can project a full size keyboard onto any surface, which seems quite clever - still a bit of a faff though.

I have to concentrate on hitting the keys slightly to the left because of the same problem you have...often getting the key next on the right...Im right handed so it could be that looking down onto the screen to the left of my right hand has something to do with that..I just bought a huawei Y330 phone and installed an app called ThickButtons..it seems to expand the keys, which it thinks you will use next and is pretty accurate...when using the keyboard,..Im getting used to it, but the jury is out as to whether I will keep this phone. It was £35 so if I go back to my Doro big button phone(no sniggering), I will not be out of pocket.

There is usually some kind of touchscreen calibration program run at startup after a factory reset - if not look in settings, or failing that try some of the 3rd party aps - it may solve your inaccuracy problems

I was highly unimpressed with apple keyboard on an old iphone it I tried so stuck with blackberry for a time, then got a note 2, the larger format much more suitablefor the sort of use the phone was getting - email/browsing and the keyboard app generally very good - even the standard one. I think the size helps a lot in the transition to touchscreen.

Guest eight

Sorry, no - I don't know of any good phones now with physical keyboards. I think Blackberry will be on their way out shortly...they don't even have the edge with BBM anymore which kept them alive for a few years!

P

I just bit the bullet and bought a Blackberry Classic from Carphone Warehouse for £300.

So you're probably correct.