House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Tony Blair Says Democracy Isn't Everything Amid Claims He Is To Step Down As Middle East Envoy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/blair-to-step-down-as-middle-east-peace-envoy-10109812.html

Tony Blair has questioned the value of democracy in the Middle East saying “effective government” is more important - amid reports that he is preparing to step down from his high-profile role as peace envoy to the region.

Speaking at a conference on economic development in Egypt this weekend, Mr Blair said: “Yes democracy is important, but democracy is not on its own sufficient. You also need efficacy. You need effective government taking effective decisions.”

Praising Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who has been accused of serious human rights abuses since coming to power in 2013, Mr Blair continued: “I don’t think you have to be authoritarian, but you have to be direct.”

I presume he means "effective" as in supporting the West and not being interested in their own people?

So he helped destroy Iraq to bring them democracy.....and now thinks its not the answer. Rolling eyes.

True though. Democracy can only really work in a fairly homogenous population. Once you have firmly entrenched groups (like in Iraq), the analogy of two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner becomes unavoidable.

To the vast majority of people, it did not require x numbers of wars and chaos to work this out.

To be fair to Blair, he did his best to create the same conditions at home too, to test the theory to absolute destruction.

To the vast majority of people, it did not require x numbers of wars and chaos to work this out.

I think the vast majority of people already worked out that it was about preferential oil rights, rather than zeal for spreading democracy.

Good point. So you're saying that Blair is lying in what he claims now were his reasons for invasion? Surely not.

Signalling a change in "western" policy rationalisations perhaps. But even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and I suspect democracy can only ever lead to civil war in an Iraq of the current borders/population.

True though. Democracy can only really work in a fairly homogenous population. Once you have firmly entrenched groups (like in Iraq), the analogy of two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner becomes unavoidable.

Yes and no, IMO. I personally doubt democracy can ever really work in any desirable manner. Its a divisive concept to begin with, by its nature, it is interested in playing groups off against each other. Inevitably, politics regresses into identity politics...ie black vs white. Even in racially homogenous populations like northern ireland, they just play catholic vs protestant off one another. In other instances, its class warfare. Even in an homogenous population they will cultivate divisions...the spurious 'war on women' has been dreamt up to achieve precisely that.

Bliars protege, Cameron, plays the typical leftist card on this too...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359438/Cameron-hits-prejudice-suggestions-Middle-East-democracy.html

No dave, it isnt 'racism'...Its observation. No one can do democracy...not just the middle east. We elected you for christ sakes.

I far more prefer the idea of constitutionalism. Immovable logic based rights and universal principles the greed of the populace, or their vunerability or ignorance of devious political operators can't vote away.

Good point. So you're saying that Blair is lying in what he claims now were his reasons for invasion? Surely not.

Bliar is an establishment shill. If his backers told him to plan a manned mission to the centre of the sun, he'd do it.

I honestly don't believe bliar cares about the reasoning...liberating the people, controlling oil, excuse to fund the military industrial complex...all of this is irrelevant.

Bliar just likes selling shit. He's actually very good at it. Its a shame he couldnt do it in a less damaging manner...like working for the tobacco industry or something.

Bliar is an establishment shill. If his backers told him to plan a manned mission to the centre of the sun, he'd do it.

I honestly don't believe bliar cares about the reasoning...liberating the people, controlling oil, excuse to fund the military industrial complex...all of this is irrelevant.

Bliar just likes selling shit. He's actually very good at it. Its a shame he couldnt do it in a less damaging manner...like working for the tobacco industry or something.

what you are describing is the mentality of a barrister, ie. a mouthpiece for hire to whoever can afford him, no questions asked.

these amoral shysters should be debarred from holding political office.

what you are describing is the mentality of a barrister, ie. a mouthpiece for hire to whoever can afford him, no questions asked.

these amoral shysters should be debarred from holding political office.

Unfortunately, politics attracts predators...people who know basic psychology, and know how to manipulate people.

Lawyers...paid to convince juries of things, regardless of the truth. (the bliars)

Actors/entertainers...paid to act out of character. To make the audience believe that character is real (Ronald Reagan)

PR men...paid to sell things, even if those things are polished turds (Cameron)

Engineers/scientists build nations, lawyers destroy them. It's quite obvious how politics attracts habitual liars. The people rather hear pretty lies rather than hard truths.

The posters showing Mr Blair with scary red eyes, were rather correct in retrospect! I thought them daft at the time.

The posters showing Mr Blair with scary red eyes, were rather correct in retrospect! I thought them daft at the time.

Blair believed firmly in the principle of one man, one vote.......once.

Blair believed firmly in the principle of one man, one vote.......once.

as long as he was the man with the vote.