House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

onlyme2

Centralia - Documentary On A Town You've Never Heard Of...

Anyone who has read Bill Brysons book 'A Walk In The Woods' will have heard of Centralia as there is a chapter largely devoted to is fate. Just one of a number of ecological disasters he found during his walk along parts of the Appalachian trail.I believe there is enough anthracite below ground for the fire to burn for many decades if not longer.

Moreover, simple changes in economics or politics can cause towns and villages to die just as utterly without any need for physical disasters. Plenty of historical examples in the UK attest to that fact. Try visiting Glenbuck in Scotland to find the house where the legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankley was born and see how much is still standing Many former mining communities in the UK would be like Centralia if the benefit system did not prop some of them up. The truth is that large swathes of the Britain would be at risk of depopulation during this countries post industrial decline if it were not for that factor and naive immigrants who imagine that the UK offers them and their families a long term future.

The Pottsville Republican & Herald reported in February 2011 that the Borough Council still has regular meetings.[20] The news story reported that the town's highest bill at the meeting reported on came from PPL, a power utility, at $92 and the town's budget was "in the black".

So the town's finances are in the black, the land is probably cheap and there is free underfloor heating. I think HPCers should establish a colony there.

Where does the fire get it's oxygen from?

Moreover, simple changes in economics or politics can cause towns and villages to die just as utterly without any need for physical disasters. Plenty of historical examples in the UK attest to that fact. Try visiting Glenbuck in Scotland to find the house where the legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankley was born and see how much is still standing Many former mining communities in the UK would be like Centralia if the benefit system did not prop some of them up. The truth is that large swathes of the Britain would be at risk of depopulation during this countries post industrial decline if it were not for that factor and naive immigrants who imagine that the UK offers them and their families a long term future.

As already alluded to in the thread about buying property in Italy...

15 Ghost Towns in Italy

I like a lot of people am a sucker for ghost towns and seek them out wherever I go. Mining communities have always been particularly vulnerable to having no reason to exist any more, over night

One time, I recall wandering around the remains of a walled Roman town in a backwater part of central Italy, pausing to watch some sheep grazing and thinking 'this would have been the expensive end of town'.

Location, location, location ...and timing